Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll - Would you buy a Mechanical Error ?

I think PCGS fixes it for free plus pays S/H both ways.
This copper looks a little too green on the reverse

Hlaf Cent

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, if I needed it.

The biggest mechanical or otherwise error I've ever seen was 1802 half cent a friend of mine had in an NGC holder. The coin was marked as the "new reverse," but it was really the "old reverse" which is many times rarer and FAR more valuable. My friend had an outstanding collection of half cents, and he was preparing to sell. This coin had been mis labeled. He was going to get that fixed, but he offered it to me before he sent it back for the correction.

If this coin had been offered to me in the 1990s I would have bought it a heart beat when I was collecting half cents. But I sold that collection year ago, and I had to pass.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would buy a slabbed coin with a mechanical error. I bought an NGC slabbed 1911-D Indian G$10 with 1911-S on the label. I fixed the slab using a fine tipped Sharpie.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I would, but not the OP coin...I like the MPD on the 1851 Half Cent (I have been informed that ALL 1851 Half Cents have the MPD), but too much green stuff (verdigris?). image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd buy the coin if I wanted and needed it, but get the holder fixed.
  • Options

<< <i>How is that half cent a mechanical error? I consider a mechanical error as a slab label showing the wrong date, mintmark, variety designation, etc. And yes I would buy a slabbed coin with a mechanical error. I bought an NGC slabbed 1911-D Indian G$10 with 1911-S on the label. I fixed the slab using a fine tipped Sharpie. >>

It's an error. You can label it any way you like. The slab label showed the wrong variety designation which is on your list of such errors.

Using "Coin Facts" numbers, the 1802, reverse of 1800 is worth $95,000 in VF-30. The 1802, reverse of 1802 is worth $15,000. That is quite an error.

I dare say that a dedicated half cent collector would pay more than $95,000 for the rarer coin because they are offered so infrequently. The estimated population is 25 pieces with the finest known grading VF with possible problems.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not unless it was something that I really needed and could not get easily somewhere else.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no biggie.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    I would add that if you at a major show where the grading service in question has a booth, it's easy to get mechanical errors corrected. I have had done a couple of times at not charge.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not generally, just for the sake of having a mechanical error.
    But as others have said, if the coin was special or needed then of course I would...and then get it reholdered...and in the end I would not have a mechanical error.

Based on all of this, I voted no since there is no real interest in the mechanical error, just an interest in coins.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well sure I would buy anything under the wrong circumstances within the law and reason. This would be one of the right circumstances. If the label don't fit, you can still re-submit.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought this one.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought this one.
    Lance.

imageimage >>

That 22 is beautiful. Yes, I would buy it if I liked the coin. It doesn't matter if it's labeled wrong. But, I wouldn't pay a premium.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes i would and do own a few. nothing to brag about but have done it
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Idid.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that CAC didn't catach that 1822 posing as an 1825 image
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't pay a premium for a mechanical error label. If anything a small negative premium.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting that CAC didn't catach that 1822 posing as an 1825 image >>

There's a good chance they did notice it, but there job is to assess the coin for quality and endorse/disapprove of the grade given by the TPG.

What I mean is, whether the slab says 1822, 1825, or any other date, the result will always be the same as long as the coin is the same.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Interesting that CAC didn't catach that 1822 posing as an 1825 image >>

There's a good chance they did notice it, but there job is to assess the coin for quality and endorse/disapprove of the grade given by the TPG.

What I mean is, whether the slab says 1822, 1825, or any other date, the result will always be the same as long as the coin is the same. >>

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy the coin, not the label.... should it be a mechanical error, I could crack it, leave it, or send it in..... likely I would leave it... second choice, crack it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I buy the coin, not the label.... should it be a mechanical error, I could crack it, leave it, or send it in..... likely I would leave it... second choice, crack it. Cheers, RickO >>

Exactly...although the confirmed grade sometimes helps.
    Avid Collector of Early US Type Coins.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a PCGS OGH MS58 once which was really neat image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your 1877-S is not an error. It is an ms-58. Same way as boatloads of Capped Bust Half Dollars are au-60's or 62's. The grader was being honest. You got a good deal. Take my word for it. I'm an expert.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I might even send it in to get it fixed, though I'd probably wait until the next submission.

Unless the label stated the wrong variety... to my advantage. Then I'd claim the variety on the label and sell it on eBay for a gajillion dollars more. image

(j/k about that last part.) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No but I did get this back from DGS when they were around
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like something Raul Ramos ll would do, lord marcovan.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file