Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quickest, easiest way to ruin a beautiful old piece of copper..........

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

.........be silly enough to take a large order that just shipped to me today, unwrap and lay it on the desk.

Come back a few hours later and trim with an exacto-knife some other items on my desk and FORGET what was underneathimageimage

Learn from my stupidity and don't keep anything sharp near coins image

Thank goodness it was one of the cheaper ones, but still pisses me off as I have never done this before.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OW! image

Get you some sulfur-Vaseline paste and retone that scratch.

Bummer. image

I once accidentally threw away a nice love token Seated dime in a public wastebasket, and only discovered my error after the trash had been picked up and taken away.

Monetarily, it was a <$20 loss, but it still irks me.

I often wonder what the 23rd century archaeologists will think when they find a 19th century love token in a late-20th century landfill, and picture their baffled expressions.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

>>I often wonder what the 23rd century archaeologists will think when they find a 19th century love token in a late-20th century landfill, and picture their baffled expressions.>>

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

So sorry to hear this!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The staple scratch is by far the most wicked of all . It's dreaded and still happens. Sorry to see it happen in such an unorthodox way. image Not that there is an Orthodox way.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
    Bummer
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    crap happens
    life is in session and surely this is the last time this will happen to you image
    sorry to hear about this thoughimage
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry to see that, that sucks
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch! Deller's Darkener will make that scratch a whole lot less visible.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I read the title, I was thinking "steel wool," but knives are quicker.

I am sorry for your loss. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Yikes, my worst was putting my finger print on the coin, well ur maybe I touched it maybe I didn't, while trying to get it into a flip for grading...It was at that prior moment the finest looking example I'd ever handled...

So gave it a quick acetone bath just in case.....then while rotating it dry....

I dropped it from waist high onto a hardwood floor...

where it then took off like a rocket car across the room...

hit a chair...then swiveled to a shaking spinning stop. It didn't look so good anymore or at least I didn't remember seeing the marks that weren't there 20 seconds ago.

So a coin that maybe had a shot at the top, a $5K coin instead came back a plain jane PR 65.

Oops. As Forest said, Stuff happensimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to see this Stef..... we have all had our 'dammit' moments though... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look on the bright side, you came up 7’s! Narrowly missed the 1 and 9. image
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    So sorry.
    Humble and big of you to share.
    Thanks for the reminder to be more careful with our coins.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was me, I would darken that scratch to improve its appearance and then sell it with full disclosure that it has a scratch and then move on. You will never enjoy that token because the first thing you'll do when looking at it is to focus on that scratch and you'll feel badly about it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps bury the evidence so you don't get charged with 1st degree coin murder?

Seriously speaking, I am really sorry to see this happened to your coin. Accidents happen, and it was just your unlucky day- don't be too hard on yourself.

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stefanie: Based on your scratch test at least you now know for certain that your token appears to be pure copper, and not just copper plated... image

I'm sorry that it happened, but am glad that it was one of the less expensive tokens.

Thanks for sharing to help us all become a bit more aware of the potential pitfalls of when collecting intersects with every day tasks & life...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stefanie: Based on your scratch test at least you now know for certain that your token appears to be pure copper, and not just copper plated... image

I'm sorry that it happened, but am glad that it was one of the less expensive tokens.

Thanks for sharing to help us all become a bit more aware of the potential pitfalls of when collecting intersects with every day tasks & life... >>

That saddens me since this piece had escaped harm for so long. Last winter I bought a nice xf Hard Times Token and proceeded to lose it in the snow in my brother's driveway. He found it in the spring. It is mostly a lost cause. About the same net loss in my case ($40 purchase worth about $10 now), but it feels like more than that.

Tom

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Painful lesson!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are much worse ways to damage / ruin a coin. Your coin still has great eye appeal overall. I once cut open a package with scissors and the scissors got a hold of the coin. OUCH!

Tyler
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another reason that slabs are worth the money. image

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't light your hair on fire. Learn and progress.

I've heard it said that "we should learn from other's mistakes because we won't live long enough to make them all ourselves".

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its gonna happen. ( one heck of a way to learn something but there it is )
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the comments everyone. This was the first time I did such a thing and it happened because I was
    in a hurry......I'm not horrified by this as I said it was one of the lesser valued tokens but non the less it ought me to
    slow down......specially around valuable itemsimage

I also posted this as some here said.......as a reminder to all....yes it can happen so pay attention image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file