Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post your most valuable rattler....

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm a believer that the crack out artists have killed almost all rattlers housing high end coins or anything that has a shot at an upgrade with a significant jump. Anyone have some high end examples that the crack out artists haven't gotten their hands on yet?
Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This pair...

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are beauties!

Is the only difference between Judd 900 and 733 the reverse date placement and the year?
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, nice Broadstruck
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a fortune. I have only three rattlers and they're all IHC's.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've owned this one for quite a while now, in a 63 holder:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only own two rattlers and they are both PQ. The strike and luster on both of them is exceptional for the issue IMHO and both are CAC stickered. The 35-D is worth more.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a believer that the crack out artists have killed almost all rattlers housing high end coins or anything that has a shot at an upgrade with a significant jump. >>

Theres still gems out there. Stealer, another friend and myself went in on a 1864 10c in a 65 rattler a few months ago. Its now in a pcgs 67 holder. Theres still upgrades out there. Although I guess this example makes me part of the problem?
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm a believer that the crack out artists have killed almost all rattlers housing high end coins or anything that has a shot at an upgrade with a significant jump. >>

Theres still gems out there. Stealer, another friend and myself went in on a 1864 10c in a 65 rattler a few months ago. Its now in a pcgs 67 holder. Theres still upgrades out there. Although I guess this example makes me part of the problem? >>

Did you crack it or send for reconsideration? That is one sweet upgrade by the way!
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Broadstruck, those coins are SWEET!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This pair...

image >>

Oh my, my my!!! What a fabulous piece you have here my friend!! Just as lovely as can be. image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one that I don't own anymore. Bought it for very easy $ and was made an offer I couldn't refuse at the time. If I knew what I know now I never would have sold it. Not high end but a nice low mintage coin.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not the most valuable by a few multiples, but the only one I have imaged presently. There is a 1876-CC Doubled Die reverse dime in MS-65 buried some where in the SDB. image
    imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are rattlers.....then there are rare rattlers....collect the plastic, not the coin. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My one and only right now. Probably in the MS66+ realm. It has never seen the sticker company.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    I'll post mine

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    _______________________________________image
    __________________________________YOWZA ! Me likey !

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 1889 Quarter!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1889 quarter is AMAZING. image

I only own a few rattlers. This one is my favorite and it's really nice for the grade. I can't find the reverse pic
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    image THAT 1889 25C
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Gold CAC. I had to throw the price guide out the window to get it.

I know their must be some others out there in hiding.....let's see them!
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Working on the 36 - 42 proof sets in Rattlers, so here are just three from that set. Seller pics and then Mark Goodman comps.

Mike
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you posting again, Greg - and I recall that being an absolute monster of a Gobrecht dollar!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only rattler.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>

Theres still gems out there. Stealer, another friend and myself went in on a 1864 10c in a 65 rattler a few months ago. Its now in a pcgs 67 holder. Theres still upgrades out there. Although I guess this example makes me part of the problem? >>

Yes, that's true.

There are still some nice, fresh coins out there but they are rapidly dwindling.

Their numbers are FAR fewer than years before and they will continue to drop, as time marches on.

So, if you see one, in the wild, you had better grab it!!

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In an MS61 rattler. Multiple dealers have stated easy 63 reasonable shot 64 on this, and have offered to pay accordingly.

• Options

<< <i>In an MS61 rattler. Multiple dealers have stated easy 63 reasonable shot 64 on this, and have offered to pay accordingly.

image >>

image Wow, that's amazing. Better hold on to that one!

• Options
    Such beautiful eye candy!image
    No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice 1889 Quarter! >>

+1, that is an incredible coin!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread with some very nice examples. I am not a fan of rattlers (they don't store well, they are noisy) but here is one njcoincrank located for me that I certainly like. I don't like the idea of losing the gold sticker but I have thought about sending it in. I will probably leave it alone.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two rattlers, a common date MS64 buffalo nickel, and this one. The 1876-S $5 is rarer than most think. Doug Winter once said, "only 4,000 were struck, giving this the third lowest mintage figure of any San Francisco half eagle (trailing only the 1854-S and the 1864-S). It is also one of the rarest gold coins from this mint with just 30-40 known. While usually seen in low grades, there are some fairly nice pieces including a lovely PCGS MS64 that is from Stack’s 1976 Garrett sale (at a then-incredible $34,000). Always seen with a center punch in the earlobe of Liberty and a small, very weak mintmark."

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very nice coins so far!!

Nothing special here:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file