1864 Seated Dime. Would it grade?

ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any chance this would straight grade?
Larry

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    <<<in the wouldn't think so camp
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<<in the wouldn't think so camp >>

+1 cleaned and possible Rev. Damage
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guessing not
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damaged. It won't straight grade.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes you think it has a chance?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reverse looks like it's been cleaned pretty heavily with some nicks and marks. I'd say that it won't grade.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Looks gradeable to me. Probably in XF45 ballpark.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just had a dream that it might actually make it. In hand at actual size without the bright lights, it looks so much better. I was going to send it in about 10 years back but my images changed my mind. Just found the images again after all these years and started dreaming again.
    Larry

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If those photos are accurate, no.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just had a dream that it might actually make it. In hand at actual size without the bright lights, it looks so much better. I was going to send it in about 10 years back but my images changed my mind. Just found the images again after all these years and started dreaming again. >>

You never know, it is definitely worth a shot.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the "worth a shot" group. It's not that bad really. I have seen coins worse than this holdered with a sticker!image
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any chance this would straight grade?

There's a chance but not a good chance. The big pics might be hurting it and who knows I've seen similar pieces make it through.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    worth a shot. Or two. Persistence can pay off for "maybe" coins
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the diversity of opinion on this coin, maybe we can't predict how PCGS will view the coin. So I am in the "send it in and find out" camp.

To me it looks like a nice coin and I am sure there are many people who would like to own it, including me.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Not being a collector of early seated small denomination coins, why are the Philly coins worth 10X the Frisco minted coins?

And yes, I think it will straight grade but points will be taken off for scattered hits, nicks and ticks.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    I believe that the coin would grade as it looks to be current market acceptable.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    it has a lot not going for it. Still love it because it is seated.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    It has a slim chance of grading but it could.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks just like an XF40/45 1858-s 25c with traces of luster that I had which came back cleaned from NGC. I didn't try a second time. It looked more gradable/presentable that this coin, was evenly colored, with no digs or scratches. I sold it raw for approx VF30 money. I was happy with that as it was still a double. Thank you to CDN for the stupidly low value of $1200 in AU at that time. I paid between CDN 40/50 money for it. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file