Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dahlonega Mint gold dollars

WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just picked up these two beautiful Dahlonega Mint gold dollars - The 1849-D was last sold in a Heritage auction in 2010. The 1853-D has been in a private collection for 40+ years. My photos do not do the coins justice - the Heritage site has much better images.

1949-D NGC MS63

1853-D NGC AU58

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love the southern gold! Congrats
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to love the southern mint gold dollars. Their size makes them underappreciated. They are much scarcer than their half eagle counterparts, but don't bring as much money. .
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of nice type I Dahlonega dollars. Congrats. Be careful, Dahlonega can become an addiction. And although a D mint dollar set is only 13 coins a MS/AU set can be quite a challenge to put together.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Dahlonega Dollars. Be careful. I wanted just one Dahlonega gold dollar for my type set. That was back in 1998. I got Dahlonega Gold Fever and now have the obsession the have all 13. Still three to go and I still have the fever.
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Very nice Southern Gold image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice Dahlonega Dollars. Be careful. I wanted just one Dahlonega gold dollar for my type set. That was back in 1998. I got Dahlonega Gold Fever and now have the obsession the have all 13. Still three to go and I still have the fever. >>

The three I have left, which are probably the three you have left are beyond my ability to acquire.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 49er is drop dead gorgeous!

The mintage was so small and so long before the West was populated that we seldom have a chance at these
    in the wild (purchased collections from Western located collectors). They and the C mints are a pleasure to view
    on these forums.

Thanks,
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are cool
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    Bill,

I am looking for the 56-D, 54-D, and 61-D as well as 49-C, to complete the Charlotte dollars, the 56-s, 59-s, and 70-s to complete the S mint and the whole collection of branch mint dollars-- 7 coins. The 61-d is going to be a problem with a nice one coming to auction then staying in the auction without the price going hogwild.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those coins are very nice for their stated grade.
  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the gold dollars are a very interesting set, with 3 different types and several mints. I started with a type set and decided to try to complete the entire date and mint set. Three to go! 56-D, 59-D, and of course the 61-D. Many of the P mint coins are very undervalued and tough to find.
    liefgold
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous and nicely matched.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1849-D reminds me of one that got away. It was at a FUN show in the 1980's at the Sheraton Twin Towers in Orlando. Bob Medlar ( a dealer from San Antonio, Texas ) had a very nice 1849 -D in his case. I asked the price ( $800 I think ) and said I would think about it a little. I went back to his table a short time later to buy it but it was sold. image
  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1849-D's tend to be weakly struck at the centers. This one is quite well stuck and lustrous.
    The 53-D is a much tougher date.
    liefgold
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess these historic and rare coins are overlooked for their size, much like Seated half dimes. Oh well, more good stuff to collect for those of us who don't mind using a loupe!

• Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Singleton: << Dahlonega can become an addiction. And although a D mint dollar set is only 13 coins a MS/AU set can be quite a challenge to put together.>>

Mr. Commem: << I got Dahlonega Gold Fever and now have the obsession the have all 13. Still three to go and I still have the fever.>>

Maybe some of the members of this forum could openly communicate their thoughts as to why Dahlonega Mint coins are so popular. I have researched the historical aspects, though I do not quite understand the urge to assemble a set. A quest to find pleasant examples of all of the dates is likely to involve many headaches.

Dahlonega, Georgia Mint Half Eagles ($5 gold coins) of 1861

LiefGold: <<1849-D's tend to be weakly struck at the centers. This one is quite well stuck and lustrous.>>

To me too, it seems notably well struck, which was the first thought that came to my mind when I opened this thread.

Ron Hedden: <<Oh well, more good stuff to collect for those of us who don't mind using a loupe!>>

"A loupe," sometimes there is a need for a microscope. On these, it is often hard to distinguish contact marks from mint-caused imperfections. A micro-application of putty may be hard to see as well.

Ron Hedden: <<I guess these historic and rare coins are overlooked for their size, much like Seated half dimes.

Pertinent bidders at the recent Platinum Night event certainly did not 'overlook' Dr. Duckor's $1 gold pieces! What do the readers of this thread think about those?

Rare U.S. Coins Moderate to Strong in Platinum Night Auction; Markets Remain Stable

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them when they are XFish....that luster gone and a bit battered. The 60D I had was (is) sweetly circulated. There are few coins more difficult to handle than a raw gold dollar. It almost feels like some hidden invisible force is lurking, waiting...ready at any moment to cause that small delicate thing to drop from your fingers. Of course...slabs have changed that and the gold dollar is now easily dealt with.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coins. Southern gold is always nice. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file