Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If this represents the "Premuim Quality" coin market today...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's better to be living under a rock! image

Dealer Photos & Full Description:

1834 50C PCGS / CAC XF40 "RAINBOW MONSTER" CAPPED BUST HALF DOLLAR ~ PQ LUSTER! Exceptionally Toned & PQ 1834 Capped Bust Half Dollar O-102 Lg. Date, Lg. Letters PCGS / CAC XF40 Surprising amounts of bold, glittering, satiny frost blanket both sides of this blatantly under-graded, monster rainbow, Capped Bust half dollar! Very similar luster and wear pattern as seen on AU50-53 1834 halves we handled frequently. But even more striking than the copious luster is the gorgeously rainbow toned obverse. Rich lilac and powder blue in the center gives way to peripheral crescents of lime, gold, lemon, orange, and russet; all illuminated by fine satiny frost (The type of toning some dealers would ask $1800 for, in other words). The reverse is primarily mauve with gold and russet accents. Very clean, smooth, hairline-free surfaces. A thin, faint, old-time, toned-over pin scratch is noted on the right obverse field, for accuracy only. Perhaps this is why the coin is absurdly under-graded? We would not bat an eyelash if this was labeled AU50. $550.00

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, quite the bold description on a so-so coin. Someone took a few too many creative writing classes.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    91 if I submitted VF Details.

• Options
    Yeah if you going to write a description like that beyond the plastic and sticker the coin itself better be able to walk the walk, talk the talk, while also chewing bubble gum image
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>91 if I submitted VF Details.

image >>

Ain't dat da truth.
  • Options
    VF Details imageimage

But, but, but the description pushes this to AU53 image
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>VF Details imageimage

But, but, but the description pushes this to AU53 image >>

• Options
    Coin has some nice attributes. Can't blame a guy for trying.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Just seems like Marketing to me. No big deal and of course lots of hype turns me off, but it may entice others, you never know. One of those things I typically just ignore and put it down to over exuberance in trying to sell a coin that is over priced IMHO.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just seems like Marketing to me. No big deal and of course lots of hype turns me off, but it may entice others, you never know. One of those things I typically just ignore and put it down to over exuberance in trying to sell a coin that is over priced IMHO. >>

My thoughts exactly; the seller is trying to sell.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    The surfaces are not original as it was mishandled before the secondary toning developed.

The main envelope on a coin like this is market acceptability is pushed to the extreme.

The sad part is there are collectors out there who cruise through this hobby firmly grasped onto the ankles of the crew at CAC.

They will look at this being in the right plastic, read into deeply the description, and whip out their wallets based on a sticker.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so what is the big deal? most things nowadays are hyped to the limit and beyond

oddly enough many fall for the hype and buy

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so what is the big deal? most things nowadays are hyped to the limit and beyond

oddly enough many fall for the hype and buy >>

No kidding. Heck. Some folks would probably have hyped it even more by calling it "uncirculated" image

The description in the OP reminds me of a couple of sellers.....I haven't bothered to try to find where it was taken from but it sure reads familiar.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin market today is not represented by one coin, rather artistic flair for selling with technical descriptors .
    I'd likely just say: Love this one for $550 or hate it for nothing.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will become a very long thread if we try to report all of the overdescribed coins listed with glamour shot pictures. This example, I'd think, would be a very common and ordinary looking coin in hand.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not mine! However, it is also quite easily found using the new PCGS search (Shop) feature.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys are being overly harsh without seeing the coin in hand, and when you are looking at something magnified 40X to the size of a dinner plate, you see every imperfection. That is why graders don't even use a lens for most large coins unless there is variety or something suspect. One needs to grade with the eye, first, and the lens second. I'm not saying I agree with the writeup, but I would reserve such harsh comments until I saw the coin in hand first.

Just my 10 cents image

/mdg.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one of those coins that leaves me shaking my head about CAC. The coin has a big obvious scratch on the obverse and three possible scraps on Ms. Liberty's bust plus funky post dip toning.

This coin looks more like a scene from a "B movie" than "B" grade coin.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when you are looking at something magnified 40X to the size of a dinner plate, you see every imperfection.

Even so, I didn't notice the huge, gaping chasm of a gouge in the rt obv field until it was pointed out, "A thin, faint, old-time, toned-over pin scratch is noted on the right obverse field, for accuracy only. Perhaps this is why the coin is absurdly under-graded?"

Don't get me wrong, I own several coins that PCGS net graded a bit lower for a problem that was most likely contemporary to the coin's circulation ("test marks", such as this one might be, as when a merchant or shopkeeper scratched the coin to make sure it wasn't just silver plated), and do not find it or other coins in graded holders to be "absurdly under graded" any more than the other side, who says, "this coin shouldn't even be in a graded holder with that damage" I'm in the middle, "it is what it is" and it appears that in those cases, as in this, PCGS and CAC find it acceptable at 40.

edit: another look reveals the old pitting and newer scrapes on the bosom, which, strictly for accuracy, might also be mentioned..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's not mine! However, it is also quite easily found using the new PCGS search (Shop) feature. >>

There are lines to be read between here, but I can't find them.
    Paul
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's not mine! However, it is also quite easily found using the new PCGS search (Shop) feature. >>

Nah, not your type of description anyway, Tom.

The coin is findable in the way you mentioned, but the description there is different. Leads me to think that where the OP pulled this was different (different seller).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Little overzealous in the description. I have seen questionable CAC pieces as well but on the whole CAC coins are substantially better than the average.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like someone is trying to sell a Chevy for Cadillac money is all.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    If you just google the entire description into 'google search' you'll quickly learn the identity of the seller. The image of the coin in the actual holder looks exactly how I thought it would look. See for yourself.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    The description is already covered so I just wanted to say that the image it self is very clear and detailed. The colors may be off a bitbut the imaging was well done. The surface details are very easy to see and many sellers even high end sellers have problems getting images this clear and focused.

There has always been hipe in sales that is what at times makes sales interesting. Would this coin have gotten any attention if it just stated "1834 50C "? Now because of the description the coin has made it onto the board with many buyers on it. Sounds like good sales practice to me.
  • Options
    I just looked at the coin in the holder and the in holder shot, keeping in mind an in hand look does not look to far off of an xf40. What is detracting from this coin, ignoring the glamour shot and seeing the coin as is without special lighting and imaging techniques? Size your view to a more in hand look and then describe the coin and state why it is not an XF40, this would help many out who are not experts in this series.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very ordinary, common date coin.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A very ordinary, common date coin. >>

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy the coin and not the words.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This one of those coins that leaves me shaking my head about CAC. The coin has a big obvious scratch on the obverse and three possible scraps on Ms. Liberty's bust plus funky post dip toning.

This coin looks more like a scene from a "B movie" than "B" grade coin. >>

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care for the color or the surface quality. Wouldn't be a buyer at a third the asking price
    except maybe for a flip to the sticker crowd.
  • Options

<< <i>Wouldn't be a buyer at a third the asking price except maybe for a flip to the sticker crowd. >>

It's never good to take advantage of the under educated as there's this thing called karma that will catch up with you. One of my local coin dealers who screwed folks both buying & selling daily for decades passed away after a lengthy (extremely pain as I was told) battle of rectal cancer.

It's far better to just buy coins to flip that you personally like instead of just any POS for profit. Describe them accurately and allow the buyer to make their own decision. This leads to building relationships and if some coins don't sell at least you liked them well enough to keep them.

If it pains you to package coins up to send to a new home instead of feeling like your happy to get rid of that... Your doing something right! image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The description reads like someone's auditioning for a job as a cataloger.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah if you going to write a description like that beyond the plastic and sticker the coin itself better be able to walk the walk, talk the talk, while also chewing bubble gum image >>

Well put image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I missing something here? Is this off that TV show? Who is going to pay that? CW Trends for XF 40 is $175. And CW Trends for AU50 is $350. The coin is graded PCGS XF 40. I would give him a loud "get outta here!" LOL. If on the bourse floor and he gave me that spiel and quoted me that, a loud "Bahhhhha." (Get Lost!).

Why are they taliking AU50? That is not the grade on the holder.

Assuming the slab above is this coin it does not appear PQ IMO at all. I do not like the dark spots - I would rate it average quality if that much. Sorry, no interest in it. And to answer the op's question - I certainly hope not.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm kind of lost on a "market-acceptable" scratch...maybe if it was an R.5. I understand opinions on color and surface quality, but a scratch is a scratch.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree a scratch is a scratch plus the coin has black spots. The price seems way over market retail. I have a serious problem with the coin and how its priced. I just wonder who is going to pay that kind of money when many can not get anywhere near market retail in this market.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is an awful coin. Not only should it not have a CAC sticker, but I don't even think it should be in a problem free holder based on the images. IMHO, it is worth VF money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file