Home Precious Metals

The PM seller advertisements on TV have increased lately

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
How kind of them to offer to sell me some of their metal, because the stock market is scary volatile! It goes up AND down!

The sellers must be very altruistic to be willing to sell me some of their metals!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

How washed up are the actors pitching the stuff? That gives you an idea of the profit margins they operate on.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    never brought into that ( and the tv shysters ). just saying.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>never brought into that ( and the tv shysters ). just saying. >>

likewise.....just like any commercial, full of hype, partial truth's and exaggerated claims.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How kind of them to offer to sell me some of their metal, because the stock market is scary volatile! It goes up AND down!

The sellers must be very altruistic to be willing to sell me some of their metals! >>

Probably some sort of conspiracy. They must be out to get something.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How washed up are the actors pitching the stuff? That gives you an idea of the profit margins they operate on. >>

My thoughts are they use these old timer actors to appeal to and win trust of the older baby boomers and retirees to spend their hard earned saved money on this higher priced metal.

Same way with reverse mortgages unfortunately.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

<< <i>

<< <i>How washed up are the actors pitching the stuff? That gives you an idea of the profit margins they operate on. >>

My thoughts are they use these old timer actors to appeal to and win trust of the older baby boomers and retirees to spend their hard earned saved money on this higher priced metal.

Same way with reverse mortgages unfortunately. >>

Former Senator Fred Thompson told me to take out a reverse mortgage and load up on MS 70 graded Palladium and first strike pucks .

What could go wrong?image
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

They silver eagles, maple leafs, and Philharmonics are very hard to find, but go on to say they have plenty, ready to ship!

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    They silver eagles, maple leafs, and Philharmonics are very hard to find, but go on to say they have plenty, ready to ship!

Yeah...I saw the same commercial and said to myself: "on what planet are they living on."

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

actors should be liable for the performance of the investments they get paid to push.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2017 10:27AM

This is a timely discussion. I just had to dig this out of the trash to show it to you.

It says,

"PRESERVE YOUR RIGHTS TO OWNERSHIP NOW. The All-New U.S. $2 National Parks Bills Collection. New U.S. Currency brilliantly honors the beauty and wonders of our U.S. National Parks.

Limited to 5,000 Complete Collections.

The BRADFORD EXCHANGE MINT"

Evidently, I only have until 10/15/17 to return the Certificate that reserves my complete set.

Reading along, I see that the low introductory price of $24.95 per issue (plus $4.95 each for shipping and service*).

(* note on state sales tax.)

I can scarcely contain my excitement.

My Certificate is signed by Richard H. Thomas. I have to commit myself to remember that name. Or maybe not, since his come-on is so inane that it should be easy to spot wherever he pops up.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall that at about the time of the televised Cash For Gold deal, where you'd send in your scrap and get a check (pitiful % of value) back in the mail, was really hammered on TV. Cash for gold shops sprung up everywhere, and many are still in business. With 16, 17, 18, then ultimately 1900.00 gold, it really hammered home to the unassuming citizen the idea and value of gold and silver like never before. A boom of sorts I'd say. If seemed everybody was talking about gold that you would not think would have been paying attention.

I think the TV advertising model was really paying off at this point, and is likely still working today despite relatively lower spot prices as folks are still out there that jumped in around 2011. Even at 11, 12 and 1300.00 gold, there must be a serious return to these advertising dollars and markups and schleps buying or it simply would not be happening.

I just don't remember seeing adds on TV before 2011 and it looks like they're here to stay.

I still don't understand why folks would just walk into a local coin shop and make a private, fair deal and support that situation. I guess some folks like to just pick up the phone and get stuff in the mail knowing they're overpaying but just don't care.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was stacking gold long before these hucksters or the cash for gold crowd...and I just laugh at some of their lines.... "What's in your safe?" Probably a lot more than you have in yours..... Cheers, RickO

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that everyone here stacks raw gold eagles 18" high front to back solid in their small carry off safe as shown in the commercial. :#

GrandAm :)
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy and sell despite advertisers, hucksters, spammers and preppers.

Just saw a new ad for the 1st time:

It's a gold "note " containing 1/20th of a gram of gold, pressed into a vintage-looking note, free for first-time callers.

edited October 18, 2017 1:45PM

Just saw a new ad for the 1st time:

It's a gold "note " containing 1/20th of a gram of gold, pressed into a vintage-looking fake paper 'money' novelty, free for first-time callers.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's about $2 worth of gold, right :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Money chases money. Stupid money spends the same as smart money.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have learned to stymie my puke reflex when these ads come on. I just love the guys that say that silver will go to $200 oz and more!! :#

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Seems like every other ad on TV in the morning as I get ready for work is for gold and silver bullion.

They'll even give me a Free 1 gram silver bar Just For Calling! (So they get my number for marketing and selling the Sucker List to other companies) This bar looks huge on my 50" screen, like the size of a briefcase!

Golly, if metals were going up in the near future, wouldn't we be seeing Buying ads??

I like how they show a heap of 1 oz gold coins but they price out a 1/10 ounce on screen. I bet every boob that orders one thinks these are not what I ordered I wanted the one in the commercial

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

If paper money is so worthless and PM's are so great, why are they so anxious to sell their wonderful PM's for your worthless paper?

• davidkdavidk Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018 7:07PM

Base instinct is to buy into a rising market and sell in a falling market. Base instinct is wrong when it comes to investing....buy low, sell high, obviously.

That said, I don’t consider PMs an ‘investment’, I consider PMs simply as real money. PMs have never hyperinflated or gone to zero value in all of human history.

PM market is low, some may see this as blood in the streets...who knows for sure? I would guess in the current declining PM market that buyers are (incorrectly) scared and therefore it may be a necessity to advertise more in this type of market.

Every. Single. Commercial break!

One gets the impression that we all need to buy gold and silver and put them under our My Pillow.

• shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I watched one last night to where the guy was selling some old coins made from silver off of the "Atroch" (I know i know 8 spelled this wrong). The coins would originally go for @ 3,000$ but I could buy them for @$78.00

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2018 10:06AM

_Every. Single. Commercial break!

One gets the impression that we all need to buy gold and silver and put them under our My Pillow._

Maybe you watch too much television. :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey derry, do they hawk gold and silver on Russian TV?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

you'll have to look long and hard to find pure silver bullion coins these days.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions