Home U.S. Coin Forum

Got Brass?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
We have the Copper threads but just like White Metal there's rarely an opportunity to post Brass so lets see them here! image

1860 George H. Lovett "Cupid & Sea Serpent" / Ezra Hill "Coin Dealer" - Mule, 29mm Diameter, Brass, New York, Merchant Store Advertising Card, Miller-NY-322

The obverse is from a 32mm diameter of George Lovett's personal store card advertising token featuring a pictorial of cupid riding a sea serpent. On Lovett's later striking the edge of the die had chipped off creating the huge rim cud on the right side of the obverse. The die was then spun down on a lathe by Lovett to 29mm diameter losing the fancy border and used as a obverse variety of coin dealer Ezra Hill's store cards. Rarely seen however when encountered found more often struck in white metal, then copper or brass. Also far scarcer then any of the smoking of the weed smoker obverse designs.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    I got on this Soley medalet kick a while back. George B. Soley was a diesinker who acquired the U.S. Mint's first steam powered coinage press as surplus in 1875. After rehabbing the press for manual operation Soley would travel to different fairs and events striking these medalet's and tokens. This one seems to be a more common one, but I've got half a dozen or so different ones.

"Sale of Souvenirs Stopped"
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found one of those medalets like the one above (sans ribbon) in a bulk lot earlier this year.

The following coin was struck in orichalcum, which I've been told is basically brass.

Hadrian (117-138 AD), Æ Sestertius, struck at Rome circa 134-138 AD.

Obverse: HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P, laureate bust of Hadrian right, slight drapery on far shoulder.
    Reverse: AE-QVI[TAS] A[V]G, S C across field, Aequitas standing facing, head left, holding scales and scepter.

RIC 743; BMC 1481. 23.4 g. Ex- Colosseo Collection, with prior provenance to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several varieties of Canadian Blacksmith Tokens were struck in brass, probably in England. These were made to appear very worn. This one , Wood 14, has near razor edge square rims.... Probably XF despite its appearance. imageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice brass, and thanks for the accompanying commentary/history... Cheers, RickO
  • I think this one is brass?

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Icollecteverything, Yes your Root & Co. is brass.

1858 Mulligan Jewelers, Philadelphia, M-PA-370R, Reeded Edge Brass, 32mm Diameter

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

I like that a lot!
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We have the Copper threads but just like White Metal there's rarely an opportunity to post Brass so lets see them here! image

1860 George H. Lovett "Cupid & Sea Serpent" / Ezra Hill "Coin Dealer" - Mule, 29mm Diameter, Brass, New York, Merchant Store Advertising Card, Miller-NY-322

The obverse is from a 32mm diameter of George Lovett's personal store card advertising token featuring a pictorial of cupid riding a sea serpent. On Lovett's later striking the edge of the die had chipped off creating the huge rim cud on the right side of the obverse. The die was then spun down on a lathe by Lovett to 29mm diameter losing the fancy border and used as a obverse variety of coin dealer Ezra Hill's store cards. Rarely seen however when encountered found more often struck in white metal, then copper or brass. Also far scarcer then any of the smoking of the weed smoker obverse designs.

image >>

OK that is pretty cool image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Icollecteverything, Yes your Root & Co. is brass. >>

Thank you Broadstruck.

My unsolicited advice for everyone today is when you decide to sell your collection don't sell all your books first! Even if you are moving and think it's a quick way to get rid of a couple hundred pounds you should at least hold on to some important reference books related to your collection.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

<< <i>

<< <i>Icollecteverything, Yes your Root & Co. is brass. >>

Thank you Broadstruck.

My unsolicited advice for everyone today is when you decide to sell your collection don't sell all your books first! Even if you are moving and think it's a quick way to get rid of a couple hundred pounds you should at least hold on to some important reference books related to your collection. >>

Ouch better off getting rid of your spouse to reduce your load.... Much easier to replace then your books imageimage
    1845-57 Smith, Murphy & Company, Philadelphia, Miller-PA-481 / Wright-1004, 29mm Diameter, Plain Non Reeded Edge, Brass, Rarity-4.

I had never seen one in XF as most seen are VG - VF. Rulau books it at $60 in UNC and Joe Levine just sold VG-VF's going back to 1976. Bowers handled Gilbert Steinberg's two AU50's in 1989 and one sold in 2003 for $489. Ford had two a AU50 and this is the better of them which was cataloged as AU55. The seller I bought it from swore it's UNC and it showed up w/o rub making it the finest known period. Smith & Murphy in business from 1845 went under during the Panic of 1857 after the Central America sank in a hurricane and banks collapsed when the gold shipment was lost. It's a cool larger 29mm diameter token with a goofy looking federal eagle obverse. 97 market street renumbered to 258. Valued a in 1962 at $35.00 and $2.00 in 1898. Ex: John Ford Jr. bought from Boston coin dealer. Harold E. Whiteneck Oct 1957.

Rulau's corroded plate below -

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck will no doubt remember this one. image

Stefanie ("coinsarefun") very sweetly sent me these two A.C. Yates advertising cards to go along with it.

Another member sent me a PDF of this article about the Yates Clothing store in Syracuse from the April 19, 1862 edition of Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This Henry Clay piece is called "The lying medal" because it says that Clay was inaugurated President on March 4, 1845. That didn't happen because Clay lost the 1844 presidential election to James K. Polk. This piece is unusually nice for this issue. I've never seen it fully struck. The DeWitt / Sullivan number is HC 1844-33.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

1864 Ulysses S. Grant "Commander of the Armies" Brass, 13mm Diameter, Reeded Edge.

This was struck to commemorate the day March 10th when Abraham Lincoln promoted Ulysses S. Grant from the rank of Major General to Lieutenant General of the U.S. Army to lead the Union troops against the Confederate Army. The white on the reverse is a tiny spot of silver.

• DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    In the same vein as Stef's contribution...

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file