Home U.S. Coin Forum

Missing 2 Clad Layers?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 14, 2017 3:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum
Are there error clad coins which are missing both clad layers for the front and back?
Tagged:

Comments

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I've seen them. I think they're fairly scarce. A lot of the ones you see on eBay are either acid-treated or struck on an improperly annealed planchet (a more common error type).
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are there error clad coins which are missing both clad layers for the front and back? >>

Are you talking about one on a regular three-layer clad planchet that lost both cladding layers either before or after the strike, causing it to be light weight, or one struck on a planchet blanked from the end of the strip where the cladding material ran out before the core material so that the core material was rolled to the normal thickness of the clad strip and the planchet is therefore of normal weight?

Didn't we have this discussion before?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • dual missing clad layers are extremely rare, and there are less than a dozen examples known for all series of clad coins combined. I've had one of the 2 or 3 quarters known, and there is 1 half dollar that I know of, and perhaps 4 or 5 dimes. If you look on my website, I have an example of a dime with dual missing clad layers. Never heard of any on SBAs or Ikes.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • I have seen many coppper wash/copper migration Coins mistaken for missing class.I own a 1969 dime that so much copped blead through the outer clad layers that It appears as a copper dime.I as dumbfounded for a long time with this dime until I read enough anealing errors. I keep these around to stump folks.You should see my 1963 dime missing the silver laminate with the Bronze core showing.....Lol!I do have a cordless quarter.
    Mark Anderson
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without seeing a scan of the coin you're talking about,
    it's impossible to know if it's a copper-plated item, an
    acid treated item, or a 'copper-wash/sintered' item.

If the coin is very very thin, and the surfaces are kind of
    'wavy', it's been acid/chemically treated.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Without seeing a scan of the coin you're talking about,
    it's impossible to know if it's a copper-plated item, an
    acid treated item, or a 'copper-wash/sintered' item.

If the coin is very very thin, and the surfaces are kind of
    'wavy', it's been acid/chemically treated. >>

yeah, what he said.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>dual missing clad layers are extremely rare, and there are less than a dozen examples known for all series of clad coins combined. I've had one of the 2 or 3 quarters known, and there is 1 half dollar that I know of, and perhaps 4 or 5 dimes. If you look on my website, I have an example of a dime with dual missing clad layers. Never heard of any on SBAs or Ikes. >>

Seriously?! If we go to your website, spend an hour reading everything, page through 53 Web Pages of errors(which makes these things look as common as...), are careful not to miss it since there are sooo many of these things with one side missing the clad layer....then we might actually see one? Is this what you really meant to say? imageimage Why not just post a link to it? Yes, I probably spent 10-15 minutes looking and obviously missed it.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

• << <i>

<< <i>dual missing clad layers are extremely rare, and there are less than a dozen examples known for all series of clad coins combined. I've had one of the 2 or 3 quarters known, and there is 1 half dollar that I know of, and perhaps 4 or 5 dimes. If you look on my website, I have an example of a dime with dual missing clad layers. Never heard of any on SBAs or Ikes. >>

Seriously?! If we go to your website, spend an hour reading everything, page through 53 Web Pages of errors(which makes these things look as common as...), are careful not to miss it since there are sooo many of these things with one side missing the clad layer....then we might actually see one? Is this what you really meant to say? imageimage Why not just post a link to it? Yes, I probably spent 10-15 minutes looking and obviously missed it. >>

That would take a long time, but I meant do a search for it. If you search for the word "dual" it comes up immediately. But here's the link anyway: https://sullivannumismatics.com/productdisplay/pcgs-10c-1980-p-roosevelt-dime-dual-missing-clad-layer-ms-62
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Jon! Pretty cool.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.... The only one's I have seen have been forum pictures... have looked through a lot of change over the years.... have not even seen one missing only one layer. Cheers, RickO
  • jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice website, Jon.

• << <i>Very nice website, Jon. >>

Thanks!
  • I found a 1974-D Washington Quarter, missing both clad sides, way back in early-1990s.
    It had been scratched by a pin, it seems, as someone probably thought it was just dirty or coated.
    I grade it at XF-45 via PCGS Photo Grade examples.
    I’ll get a pic up soon.
    Any idea on demand/value? Whom would be best to grade such an error coin?
    Nelson

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yonitz... Welcome aboard... If it is truly missing both clad layers and not an acid treated coin, then send it in to our hosts (PCGS) and have it authenticated and slabbed. Please let us know the results... Cheers, RickO

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I made a mistake buying this today. Did I? Is the label wrong?

It looks like it's fully struck, so it
    can't be missing both outer clad
    layers, imo.

Probably a sintered planchet, but
    I wish I could see the reeded edge.

That would tell me if it's sintered
    or copper-plated. (probably sintered)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "You should see my 1963 dime missing the silver laminate with the Bronze core showing.....Lol!I do have a cordless quarter."

Really? 1963 dime? Any dime with a bronze core?

I have a cordless drill. Why does a quarter need a cord -- except maybe for mixing martinis?

:)

PS: Planchets are never "sintered."

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2018 2:29PM

Thank you Fred as that is my thinking (now) as well.

Does look sintered, only other option (highly unlikely) is like Tom said about being the very end of the roll where copper bled out and was full thinkness.

Problem is, I won the coin but have not paid. Most likley cancel.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANACS slabbed the Dime. Could it possibly be that when the coin was struck it had die residue on it from striking "normal" Dimes?

That would account for the silvery look in spots from a transfer of nickel dust.

Just a guess.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Any ideas what value a dual missing clad quarter would hold if it’s circulated, not so great condition?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks to be extreme environmental damage, not missing layers.

Not in error – environmentally damaged surfaces

• Hey everyone:) im new to the group but i have a 2014 flordia quarter and its missing all the clad layer!! what do you guys think this is worth ..? Ill post pics when I get home. But the front back and sides are all missing it !

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kristyscoin said:
    Hey everyone:) im new to the group but i have a 2014 flordia quarter and its missing all the clad layer!! what do you guys think this is worth ..? Ill post pics when I get home. But the front back and sides are all missing it !

Pls start your own thread, and include photos

• Again im new to this site. But yes I will try to figure out how to start a new thread thank u so much and ill post pics asap :)
    Thanks

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jgrabocoin said:
    Any ideas what value a dual missing clad quarter would hold if it’s circulated, not so great condition?

metal detecting coin, very common

Frank

BHNC #203

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jgrabocoin said:
    Any ideas what value a dual missing clad quarter would hold if it’s circulated, not so great condition?

metal detecting coin, very common

Frank

BHNC #203

• KristyscoinKristyscoin Posts: 5
    edited August 12, 2021 8:13AM

Hope this starts a new thread!! But what do u think this.quarter is worth missing clad

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kristyscoin said:
    Hope this starts a new thread!! But what do u think this.quarter is worth missing clad

it's environmental damage

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • I already got it looked at and its not environmental damage but.thanks

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately it does not look like any other missing clad layer quarter. Here’s a link to Heritage Auctions showing legitimate missing clad quarters. You can see what authenticated and genuine ones look like.

https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=51&Nty=1&Ntt=missing+clad+layer+25c&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&searchView=gallery&ic4=GalleryView-071515

• I have a light shining on it. So may look a little off but I already took it in ..like I said before and it is missing both sides of clad layer. Thanks again

Sorry, but that Everglades quarter is NOT missing either or both
    of the outer clad layers.

The 'off' color you see is from some source after the coin was
    already in circulation.

It is not an error coin of any kind, I'm sorry to say.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kristyscoin said:
    I already got it looked at and its not environmental damage but.thanks

Looked at by whom?
    This coin is not missing any layers and simply has a slight color change from environmental damage.
    Sorry if that's not what you want to hear but it is the reality of the situation.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what a missing clad layer looks like @Kristyscoin

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• ByersByers Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zions- there are a few known on smaller denominations. I’ve handled a couple and surely Fred and Jon have too.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.

Zions- here is the unique Quarter that I published in Mint Error News, and subsequently sold, struck only on the copper core many times!!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2021 8:42AM

@Byers said:
    Zions- here is the unique Quarter that I published in Mint Error News, and subsequently sold, struck only on the copper core many times!!

Amazing! It really is missing 2 clad layers! What’s going on with the obverse of that coin?

MintErrorNews has some great discoveries! Here's the article link:

https://minterrornews.com/discoveries-8-5-03-quarter_on_copper_core.html

Zions- thanks!

It’s uniface, multistruck, and was starting to even become a die cap, all on just the copper core!

Spectacular error!

My unique Kennedy Half struck on a copper core
    will be in a future HA, probably early next year.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2021 8:43AM

@FredWeinberg said:
    My unique Kennedy Half struck on a copper core
    will be in a future HA, probably early next year.

Good to know Fred! Can't wait to see it with your custom insert.

Are all your Weinberg provenance coins GoldShield or with TrueView?

• I have a 1980 quarter that looks to have both sides clad missing how do I insert a picture?

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bgmissy1 said:
    I have a 1980 quarter that looks to have both sides clad missing how do I insert a picture?

You can't post pics until your membership is approved, which is at least a few days

Weigh your coin. If it doesn't weigh significantly less than 5.67 grams, it's not missing clad layers. What you almost certainly have is a discolored coin caused by environmental damage. The clad layer is actually an alloy that contains 75% copper and will easily discolor if it spent time on the ground

Member of the ANA since 1982

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file