Home U.S. Coin Forum

To those who said I wouldnt get the Gold Bean back.....

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭✭
A little over a month ago I sent this coin for a crossover from an old NGC in MS 67 with a Gold Bean in hopes of a higher grade and to add to my registry set. Unfortunately it did not cross at a higher grade. My plan was to get the gold sticker back by sending in the old label and coding the form as a re-sticker. I had some encouraging and positive feedback, but also some negative posts saying that I would never get the Gold sticker back and would be lucky to get a green sticker.

Well, here you go.....

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i said i hope you get it back...and i am glad you did. that's a very nice coin.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woo Hoo! Congratulations!

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! image

imageimage
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I argued in that thread until I was blue in the face to do what you did. Glad you did and I still think you should send it in or take it to ANA and do a full point reconsideration now. CAC sticker will remain if it doesn't go. That coin looks 68 any day of the week! CAC agrees
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work Dustin! Seems to be coin out of the norm for you.
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Glad to know CAC is consistent image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover

Actually, I just changed my mind. I know you were after registry set grading, thus the 68, but in a PCGS holder with the Gold CAC, it is worth more the way it sits. A lot more.
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad to know CAC is consistent image >>

...for this particular coin. Please don't misunderstand that this result will always happen. This isn't a negative post, simply speaking from experience.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry you didn't get the upgrade you wanted but it's hard to beat PCGS + CAC gold. Congrats!

Did you submit it to CAC with proof that it had a gold sticker when it was in the NGC slab? Or did you just send it in without saying anything?
    Lance.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad to know CAC is consistent image >>

While they are not infallible, I've found them to be very consistent.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That color is amazing. You never see just blue, usually it is in combination with something else.
  • ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! I just sent the old label from the NGC holder with it.
    Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No to be disrespectful but where's the rest of the reverse? It's missing bands....
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No to be disrespectful but where's the rest of the reverse? It's missing bands.... >>

It wasn't graded FB....
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a beautiful coin.......sticker doesn't matter at all.
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    It is a VERY beautiful 67 all day long. The sticker is nice, but IMHO it is a 67+ maybe. The reverse holds it back from a 68 I think. I loved the No Bands Mercs when I started collecting them over 10 years ago. Wish I still had them.

Great Coin!!
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i said i hope you get it back...and i am glad you did. that's a very nice coin. >>

A lot of trouble for the same grade but different plastic.

Congrats, though.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, I still think you got lucky to get the sticker back.
  • desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the good result, I'm glad all things turned out OK for you.

One can't help but wonder, though:
    - What would PCGS have graded it if it was submitted raw without the NGC grade and CAC sticker?
    - Would CAC have gold-beaned it in the PCGS 67 holder had it not been submitted with proof that it was gold CAC'ed before?

Of course, we'll never know, but it's fun to speculate. It all feels like a kind of a poker game where not only you don't know the next card coming up, but also don't know in advance the strength of the different hands. Like the rules keep changing mid-game.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what to make of this.

Either you "tricked" CAC into a re-stickering a cross-over, or in CAC's eyes and NGC 67 is the same as a PCGS 67 and treat each TPG as equals.

But if the coin is indeed a 67 with a shot at a 68 then it shouldn't matter which TPG slabs it as a 67.

So from CAC's perspective it is the coin and not the TPG and that's a good thing image
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations! That was an achievement to be proud of.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Congrats and that is a great looking Merc ya' got there.

Mike
    >>>Actually, I just changed my mind. I know you were after registry set grading, thus the 68, but in a PCGS holder with the Gold CAC, it is worth more the way it sits. A lot more.<<<

Beg to differ here.....it would certainly be worth more in a 68 hold! Come on!
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you managed to get the sticker back since you paid 68 monies for this. However do yourself a favor and take your coin to a larger show to compare to actual TPG graded MS68 Merc's from the late 1930's on up. You'll see blazing undisturbed luster as minted so vivid you could use the dime as a flashlight during a power failure. I'm just not seeing it in the true-view and if it was there Phil would have made this dime pop. At 68 on this series there's more factors at play then just surface condition.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

<< <i>>>>Actually, I just changed my mind. I know you were after registry set grading, thus the 68, but in a PCGS holder with the Gold CAC, it is worth more the way it sits. A lot more.<<<

Beg to differ here.....it would certainly be worth more in a 68 hold! Come on! >>

Just browse through Heritage auctions with gold CAC stickers. I was very surprised.

<< <i>Glad you managed to get the sticker back since you paid 68 monies for this. However do yourself a favor and take your coin to a larger show to compare to actual TPG graded MS68 Merc's from the late 1930's on up. You'll see blazing undisturbed luster as minted so vivid you could use the dime as a flashlight during a power failure. I'm just not seeing it in the true-view and if it was there Phil would have made this dime pop. At 68 on this series there's more factors at play then just surface condition. >>

I personally think the Trueviews do not show luster very well. Here is my example. Trueview and my own uneducated image. Mine shows the real luster.

>>>Just browse through Heritage auctions with gold CAC stickers. I was very surprised.<<<

I'm not arguing the fact that the stickers add value at auction. This is a fact that saddens me. I buy the coin not the slab or sticker.

I am just saying that I would much rather have a MS68 with no sticker than a 67 with sticker. I prefer a coin be in the correctly graded slab.

That's just me.image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a really nice Merc...congratulations on the sticker.... Cheers, RickO
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loving that half dime, Wabbit! image
  • MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that TrueView
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Text >>>Just browse through Heritage auctions with gold CAC stickers. I was very surprised.<<< I'm not arguing the fact that the stickers add value at auction. This is a fact that saddens me. I buy the coin not the slab or sticker. I am just saying that I would much rather have a MS68 with no sticker than a 67 with sticker. I prefer a coin be in the correctly graded slab. That's just me. >>

Hmmm, I thought you like to keep your coins raw.

Me? I like the conservatively graded slab with the gold sticker. Seems like those are the coins that my friends want most. Makes me look like I know what I am doing. LOL.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file