Home U.S. Coin Forum

Newp - 1913 $10 Indian GTG grade posted, finally!

clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some may remember my recent post about wanting to buy a $10 Indian, and how I have always wanted one. I took the board's advice and bought a slabbed version from a reputable dealer. I again turned to Harlan J. Berk with the aid of Mike Printz and just bought this beauty.

I am not sure why but I like the 1913 date better than the 26 or 32. Perhaps just a subliminal attraction of something that is over 100 years old? (though it severely limits my dating pool..)

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.

Comments

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice. I'll go with MS62 image
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63 and very purdy.
  • BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Super example image
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks nice for 61/62.

I find that the early $10 Indian gold (1908-1916) is very hard to get the same grade twice in the AU58-MS62 range. It's often pot lot each time they go in.

I suspect most MS62's are coins that took multiple attempts to get there. And many AU58's are former 61's and 62's where someone though they could get an upgrade. The cycle repeats over and over.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to go with 58.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see it as a slider too but TPG graded could see it in a MS62/63 holder.

It's been even harder to find nice AU58's in recent years as many look AU50/53/55 to me.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • MS62
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    58 is my guess. Not my series but one day I'll own one image
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a solid 62 from here.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not savvy on the series either, but I would give it an AU58. What a beauty! One day...I will complete my gold page.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I detect a tiny bit of rub, but the surfaces are free of any distracting marks. As such the coin is probably graded in the MS-62 range.

And yes, you are correct. The 1913 is a better date than the 1926 or '32. It also is more likely that you will get a nicer coin for your money. The two most common dates are often sold as "investment pieces," and I have seen some sloppy grading on them in the past. A date like 1913 is more likely to get a more conservative grade.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you bought it from Mike you are in good shape.

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • BrolBrol Posts: 266 ✭✭
    I once had 1910 with 65 obverse and 58 reverse (slight rub on eagle wings). I don't know why, but I sold that coin 2 years ago and regret it..
    Nice coin!
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    62. If it was 58 due to rub as others have suggested, I'd crack it out so that I can admire it in hand.

OINK
  • deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    nice looking coin ! ms63
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU55
    All glory is fleeting.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grade it somewhere between AU58 and MS62. Within this range the numerical grade isn't terribly important. It looks like a fantastic coin, with nice detail and luster.
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    AU58 possibly MS60. Looks like a touch of wear on the eagle's left feather and Liberty's cheek.
    I am a guesser more than a grader.

As already noted, grading between AU58 and MS62 can be a bit whimsical.

In any case, this is a nice coin. Enjoy!
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin! I think it graded 62.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous! And I agree with other posters that the grade here isn't relevant - it's extremely attractive and desirable regardless of the number on the slab.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll guess ms63.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    58-63 really hard to tell from the picture.
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, so I might have been the inspration behind the other thread.

Anyway, I picked this one because it looked a heckuva lot better than a run of the mill 62. It's got pizzazz!

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing happened, so I figured my post didn't go through. But, apparently it did.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file