Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

“Simply Pass”

CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
I was reading the latest edition of NCNA Journal and really liked this article. I'm sure we all know someone that needs to learn to “Simply Pass.”

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say things like, Not for me or Not today or in the instance where I really want the item but the price seems unreasonable I might say, "I think we might be too far apart on the price." If the dealer is willing to negotiate he will quickly indicate that and more than likely quote a lower price. That gives the buyer more strength in the negotiation because the buyer never even countered! Now the buyer can counter offer from the lower price and it won't be as much of a stretch from the original price! Also, sometimes dealers just might write down full retail on their items for a point of reference and of course with the hope that someone will just say OKAY on a few things.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with asking for a dealer's best price. Once he or she gives you a quote if the number is way over what you think the piece is worth the best thing to do is "pass."

Some dealers quote nothing but sky high prices. They are ones I view as a waste of time at the shows, so I simply avoid them or look at their offerings as a last resort at the end my time at a show. Some dealers ask very high prices, and they seem to get enough customers to keep them in business. The toughest thing is when you spot a coin you really want and have been searching for for a long time in "the wrong dealer's case." You just have to suck it up and expect the worst. My experience has been that it will be the worst when they give you a quote 99% of the time. BUT one time eight years ago one of those dealers quoted me a number that amazed me, and I couldn't have written a very large check fast enough. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if a coin is not for me , I simply say thanks and hand it back

If I am interested , and the price seems out of line, Ill ask what can you do, if too high still I say thanks and move on, if acceptable Ill buy it, if close, Ill ,ention were close and see if we can come to an agreement

jim
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's his I do it and skip any theatrics.
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm new to the coin show realm, and my experience in the 3 or 4 shows I've been to is either a) "the sticker is my best price" or b) I tell them I'm interested but I'll be back after another round around the room. Usually results in an immediate lower price.

Of course, my haggling skills may need some sharpening.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally agree with this, but a lot of Seahawks fans will vehemently argue the logic here.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I follow those rules, and always have. There is no need to make a scene or inadvertently insult someone. I just wish everyone followed that rule.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭
    Having spent a good amount of time on the dealer side of the table recently, I wholeheartedly agree with this article and some of the other points made so far.

There's nothing wrong with making an offer or asking for the dealer's best price. The dealer's reaction to either of those will give good clues as to if you actually want to deal with them or not.

That being said, there are things which collectors/buyers/other dealers will do which are counter-productive. Such as disparaging a coin- their grade, the TPG's grade, whether or not it has been cleaned / artificially toned / unattractive toning, and the list goes on.

There are some exceptions, but they should be brought up politely and only after you've already made it politely clear that you're passing on the coin. Such as if a coin is a counterfeit, or has some damage/repairing that the dealer may not have been aware of when pricing the coin.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, that author is our very own savoyspecial! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The philosophy in the OP is very good and a path I normally pursue. I have never disparaged a coin, even if I see issues with it. Once, when a dealer asked me why I passed, I simply said it did not fit my collection - in actuality, it was poorly cleaned. No need to cause discomfort. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must be a good article since it is BLOCKED at work.

Tact seems to be one of my weaknesses (so I have been told).

As a buyer, if it is an in person visit, I will tell the dealer that I will have to "kick it around a bit", which means that I am still looking and may come back after I consider my options. If it is "on line", I will usually say that "I am going to have to pass". Sometimes that brings a further reply.

As a seller, if the price cannot be met amicably, I will simply say "No, thank you". This happens a lot on eBay where the seller is not even close. If they are close I will send them my best price and go from there.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a listed price and then being asked if you would lower your price is like shooting yourself in the foot ultimately.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good article! image
    I agree with those points.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The philosophy in the OP is very good and a path I normally pursue. I have never disparaged a coin, even if I see issues with it. Once, when a dealer asked me why I passed, I simply said it did not fit my collection - in actuality, it was poorly cleaned. No need to cause discomfort. Cheers, RickO >>

If a dealer asks me why I pass on a coin I will give him a fair and honest response. They usually appreciate the feedback. In those rare instances where the dealer wants to argue my reason for passing, I thanks him for his time and move along.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you liked it....many thanks for noticing

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed copper was mentioned in that article. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file