Home Precious Metals
Options

What is with the recent drop in Platinum?

13»

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B/S/T ing, is the name of the game
  • Options
    Got a call from a fellow today wanting an ounce of platinum at spot. image Can any of you guys help me out ?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

Got a call from a fellow today wanting an ounce of platinum at spot. image Can any of you guys help me out ?

Tell him to open a store and buy it in over the counter.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you find some platinum at spot, please share.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The spread between platinum and gold has now exceeded $270.

Gold $1090, platinum $819.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

Ask him how much he expects to get when he sells it. If he says "Spot" or "over Spot" tell him he is a damp fool.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    tell him he is a damp fool

Yes, tell him he's "all wet"!image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I told him if he joined my club and paid the dues, I could get him platinum at competitive prices. image He seems to think he can find it for less. Am guessing he is in the inner circle of trust image
  • Options

I told him if he joined my club and paid the dues, I could get him platinum at competitive prices. image He seems to think he can find it for less. Am guessing he is in the inner circle of trust image

There are always people who think that the Law Of Supply And Demand does not apply to them.

Of course, if he is buying it to make a jewelry casting he might actually be able to get something at melt, such as a damaged bar or an Israeli state medal or something by the Franklin Mint or something else equally un-retailable. What form was he looking for?
  • Options
    Heard a good, plausible explanation for the weakness in the PGM Group. Russia is a major producer, and they are getting severely hurt by the Crimean sanctions and by the weak prices of oil and natural gas, which they export. Under the circumstances they may be selling off all or part of their PGM stockpiles.
  • Options
    Spread closing in on $300.

Gold $1104, platinum $814.

• Options
    We live in interesting times. It looks to me as if silver has taken on more characteristics of it's monetary component, while platinum is being discounted because it has no monetary component.

Until lately, both silver and platinum could be counted on to track the general business climate, while gold remained most influenced by monetary factors. I think that this divergence between silver and platinum tells me something - monetary factors are becoming more important than economic factors.

If you think the economy is due for a bounce, platinum is a screaming buy. I don't really think that's the case, and if the economy drags or gets weaker, platinum may languish for quite some time.

Prices on Platinum Eagles have come down along with spot, but the premiums on Platinum Eagles are still quite high. This could simply mean that retail demand isn't tracking industrial demand. Maybe cohodk will check in and let us know if he found some low-premium platinum bullion somewhere.

As always, the time to buy is when nobody wants it. We're getting there, but if retail buyers are still holding on, maybe we're not all the way there yet. As usual, it's all just speculation!image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold looks historically expensive compared to other commodities. Is it? Or is it losing its status as a commodity?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cohodk

Gold looks historically expensive compared to other commodities. Is it? Or is it losing its status as a commodity?

Gold, silver, and platinum metals are commodities.

Gold, silver, and platinum coins are collectibles image

all coins have "collector premium", some just have a little bit, some have quite a lot.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Some - myself included - would say that gold and silver have more than just a commodity or a collectible component.

IMF and central banks shouldn't be in the commodity business, if gold and silver are mere commodities. The reality is that you can't drive the monetary component out of precious metals with rhetoric. They are time-tested and time-proven throughout history.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if gold and silver are mere commodities

I didn't say "mere"

It's the adjectives that are loaded with emotion when people talk about things.

Are they "mere"? Are they "crucial" or "barbaric" or "beautiful" or "boring" or any other subjective word?

some people's emotions say yes, some say no.

Another word loaded with emotion, nuance, and subjectivity:

"Should"

When people use it, they're expressing an opinion

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Referencing precious metals as commodities is one way of marginalizing their monetary importance, in my opinion.

Calling out the use of an emotionally-charged opinion with use of "should" is a way of eliminating an opposing view, in my opinion.

If one thinks that banks should be in the commodity business, then we have a different opinion of what function that banks should play in society, in my opinion.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    The spread between gold and platinum has now exceeded $300, and continues to widen!

Gold $1237.

Platinum $931.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Overdate
    The spread between gold and platinum has now exceeded $300, and continues to widen!

Gold $1237.

Platinum $931.

I think Platinum is a good deal at this point.
    (If you can get it with a reasonable premium)
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Not PM related, but the Dow has been bigger than the NIKKEI the last few days. Usually the NIKKEI has always been bigger.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    Originally posted by: asheland
    I think Platinum is a good deal at this point.
    (If you can get it with a reasonable premium)

U.S. Platinum Eagles still carry a high premium, some platinum coins from other countries have somewhat lower premiums. Overall the buy/sell spread on platinum coins is higher than on gold and silver, so exchange traded funds are more reasonable in that respect.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree the premiums are high at times.
  • Options
    The spread between gold and platinum is now $311, the widest I can remember!

Gold $1286.

Platinum $975.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold $1286.

Platinum $975.

It's crazy, I have been tempted to buy some plat bullion.

The Mint is set to issue a plat on 6/30 I am in for a couple.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Never bought from the mint. Do they have a crazy premium on plat eagles like the secondary market does?

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BBN
    Never bought from the mint. Do they have a crazy premium on plat eagles like the secondary market does?

$1350 if plat spot holds between $950 and $1000.

Not really much risk here, bullion 1 oz. platinum eagles are fetching around $1200 to $1250 at the moment.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really much risk here, bullion 1 oz. platinum eagles are fetching around $1200 to $1250 at the moment.

Sure the seven people that want them will pay that image

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

7 eBay buyers did just that. In the last 2 days. eBay completed $100 Pt

• Options
    Originally posted by: VanHalen
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

7 eBay buyers did just that. In the last 2 days. eBay completed $100 Pt

I know i searched image 7 sales on ebay meanwhile how many sales of gold ?

If there were 7 sales of platinum ebay will show all 7 , if there were 2000 of gold ebay might show one tenth.

They do sell at that price but thats not exactly a sign of liquidity.
  • Options
    The lack of liquidity for platinum eagles is in great measure due to the lack of supply. I suspect there would be quite a bit of demand if the government treated them as the bullion coins they're supposed to be, rather than as a once-a-year art canvas. A one-off mintage of 16,900 one-ounce plats in 2014 constitutes the only appearance of the bullion version in the past seven years.

• Options
    The lack of liquidity for platinum eagles is in great measure due to the lack of supply. I suspect there would be quite a bit of demand if the government treated them as the bullion coins they're supposed to be, rather than as a once-a-year art canvas. A one-off mintage of 16,900 one-ounce plats in 2014 constitutes the only appearance of the bullion version in the past seven years.

I agree with that but if there was a ton of interest at the high markups the mint gets why didnt they make more then?
  • Options
    I agree with that but if there was a ton of interest at the high markups the mint gets why didnt they make more then?

I've read within the past week that there's a shortage of platinum, which might explain why they are only making the high premium collector proofs.

For the Mint, any convenient excuse will do.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jmski52
    I've read within the past week that there's a shortage of platinum, which might explain why they are only making the high premium collector proofs.

The current price of platinum tells me there is no shortage.

5 year chart

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Cakes

Gold $1286.

Platinum $975.

Don't 'buy' platinum, but rather, trade your gold for platinum.

This way, not only are you taking advantage of the low platinum price, but you're getting the extra benefit of accumulating more platinum than at any other historical time.

Then when prices (or ratios) level off to their historical norms, trade back the platinum to gold.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DoubleEagle59
    Originally posted by: Cakes

Gold $1286.

Platinum $975.

This way, not only are you taking advantage of the low platinum price, but you're getting the extra benefit of accumulating more platinum than at any other historical time.

Then when prices (or ratios) level off to their historical norms, trade back the platinum to gold.

Solid advice, thank you.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

It would be a bit more conservative to hold your gold and just go ahead & buy a little platinum.

Consider the transaction costs, and tax implications. Always. (i.e., don't unnecessarily churn the account).

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Platinum is spiking up hard!

Now $1136, only $202 below the price of gold, starting to close the gap.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anybody think there was going to be a rate hike this summer? The spike after The Fed's minutes were released seems exaggerated.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Platinum is spiking up hard!

Now $1136, only $202 below the price of gold, starting to close the gap.

Fresh break out in plat and platinum miners/producers like SWC. Plat looks headed to the $1350-$1375 region. And there's good reason for it to get back to at least get back to the gold price. The 1 yr chart is quite symmetric. Next major resistance is around the 5 yr down trend line at $1200/oz.

1 yr Plat chart

3 month and 11 month pattern break outs. Good call by Jmski52 back in January, which was also the bottom for gold and miners.

Plat vs. other PM issues

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    18,400 of the Uncs have been reported as sold thus far. Plus 9,452 of the Proofs thus far. Looks like demand is picking up, along with the price.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    "South Africa output topples platinum, palladium prices"

Link

Now about $200 behind gold.

• Options
    Platinum has retreated faster than gold, now about $294 lower. Platinum seems to move faster than gold on both the upside and downside.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to see the reaction vs proaction on this forum. Predictability is a prerequisite of success.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Platinum seems to move faster than gold on both the upside and downside.

It's a thinner market, for sure.

I like to see the reaction vs proaction on this forum. Predictability is a prerequisite of success.

What's your proactive move? Mine is that I've been selling some low-end and extra stuff to generate liquid capital while trying to stay tax-neutral. I've also been adding some of the last few Plats that I need.

I'll be buying some more bullion before too long.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Platinum is now $303 behind gold.

Platinum $1036.
    Gold $1339.

The gap between the two has widened by $100 in less than seven weeks.

• Options
    I just heard an advertisement on the radio today saying that you should buy platinum. This is probably not a good development.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Platinum is now $322 below gold. Lowest I can remember.
    Gold $1254.
    Platinum $932.
    It takes 4 ounces of platinum to buy 3 ounces of gold.
    How low can it go?

• Options

About 9 days until the election:

Gold $1,274.70
    Platinum $ 977.00

Friday's move was Gold +6.60; Platinum's was +15.00.
    Current Spread: $297.70

I knew it would happen.