Home Precious Metals
Options

What is with the recent drop in Platinum?

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Details of the VW recall could cause platinum to skyrocket. A replacement converter for all those cars is a doubling of the platinum demand created by those cars. >>

They will not put any converters on anything. The cars already pass when the computer is in emission mode . They will just put that mode permanently on and voila.

There will be some sort of public recall , the computers will get a quick adjustment , the dealers will charge some ridiculous amount to VW who will then write that up as a loss and offset profits with it.

They will probably wipe out a whole years profit and that will save them some taxes that will more than make up for any fine.

After they fix your car it will run like garbage . This will not be an actionable recall so don't anyone get any bright ideas about buying a raft of these VW diesels at rock bottom prices then submitting them for recalls and reselling them after they are fixed at huge profits. No one with half a brain will want them after they have been fixed.

At best , in the future there may be a niche market on eBay in unflashed VW computers . Might be a good time to visit a few junkyards and harvest a few of those . image

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ This.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poppy and Coca leaf is worth more. Nobody is car jacking for catalytic converters anymore.

• Options
    Meanwhile, I see that palladium has rebounded about $140 an ounce after cratering at $525 not that long ago. Of course it is still less than it was in June.

Still no progress on H.R. 1698, which I wrote about in COINage. The bill would REQUIRE the U.S. Treasury to buy as much palladium as the U.S. produces at two mines in Montana and make a one ounce bullion coin from it. They don't have to sell it, they just have to buy it and coin it.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Has Palladium ever been higher than Platinum? Have they ever been this close in price?
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold $1139.
    Platinum $903.
    ----------------
    Difference $236.

The gap continues to widen.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint sure is dragging their feet about this year's Platinum Eagles.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Apparently there is a problem with planchet supply.

Since the American Eagle gold and silver programs are now in their 30th years with no sign of slowing down, and platinum is not far behind, isn't it time for the Mint to build a new hot metal processing facility and make their own dang planchets? That's what Mints do!!!
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Apparently there is a problem with planchet supply.

Since the American Eagle gold and silver programs are now in their 30th years with no sign of slowing down, and platinum is not far behind, isn't it time for the Mint to build a new hot metal processing facility and make their own dang planchets? That's what Mints do!!! >>

So sad that 30 years later and this still hasn't been addressed.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Apparently there is a problem with planchet supply.

Since the American Eagle gold and silver programs are now in their 30th years with no sign of slowing down, and platinum is not far behind, isn't it time for the Mint to build a new hot metal processing facility and make their own dang planchets? That's what Mints do!!! >>

So sad that 30 years later and this still hasn't been addressed. >>

Manufacturing processes are outside of the government's control.
    The Treasury Secretary mustn't have gotten the memo.
  • Options
    Almost back up to $1,000.
  • Options
    Almost back up to $1,000.

Yep, that was a pretty quick trip up. I'm not saying that I know what the true value of platinum should be, but there isn't any reason why it won't react to money creation just like silver or gold react to money creation. Add to that it's industrial use and relative scarcity as further considerations.

Diesel engines are a significant market, but platinum is also used as a preferred catalyst in chemical & hydrocarbon processing, and it is tough in ways that lend it to electrolytic and thermal processes. Platinum demand isn't going away, and the supply isn't easy to come by - like wheat or pork bellies.

Apparently there is a problem with planchet supply.

Or supply in general? I take high platinum premiums with a grain of salt. They might be a recognition by the market that the low hanging fruit (weak sellers) has been picked.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Some analysts are forecasting platinum to overtake gold in 2016.

Link

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    American platinum eagles continue to sell for more than American gold eagles.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>Some analysts are forecasting platinum to overtake gold in 2016.

Link >>

Do analysts ever get fired for being wrong? image
  • Options

<< <i>Do analysts ever get fired for being wrong? image >>

Analysts can be wrong?? image

• Options
    Gold $1086.

Platinum $880.

----------------

Difference $206.

How low will platinum go?

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold 1oz eagle around $1,175

Platinum 1oz eagle around $1,200

Difference $25 higher.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: hchcoin

Difference $25 higher.

Lol, where u find this stuff at? Jewelry store? 7-11? Circus ?...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rawteam1

Difference $25 higher.

Lol, where u find this stuff at? Jewelry store? 7-11? Circus ?...

Circus
  • Options

Difference $25 higher.

Many platinum eagles (including some low-mintage burnished ones) were sent to the smelters when the price was around $2000 per ounce. Plus mintages for the bullion versions have been extremely limited to nonexistent since 2007. The whole series may be relatively scarce now, compared to gold eagles, which would help explain the high premium.

• Options
    Platinum is the front runner for metal prices.

• Options
    I like platinum as an intermediate hedge between silver and gold. It moves like silver and concentrates value like gold. Half industrial and half monetary.

It does seem that the premiums for Platinum Eagles don't budge much, even when the price of the metal has dropped. I made a token acquisition this week, but I'm hanging in there - waiting for the 2015 issue Plats, if they ever materialize.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Difference $25 higher.

Canadian platinum maples are $950. Why would anyone pay $1200 for an American Eagle?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cohodk

Difference $25 higher.

Canadian platinum maples are $950. Why would anyone pay $1200 for an American Eagle?

Because they want it for their numismatic coin collection?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Difference $25 higher.

Because it's your patriotic duty. image

• Options
    Originally posted by: Baley

Difference $25 higher.

So what is the demand, one per collection?

• Options

Difference $25 higher.

demand varies by collector. You might have none, i might have one of each size, Jmski might have all the different designs, collector X might have all the sizes AND designs.

• Options

Difference $25 higher.

demand varies by collector. You might have none, i might have one of each size, Jmski might have all the different designs, collector X might have all the sizes AND designs.

So these are for collectors, not stackers?

• Options
    cohodk, are you asking this as a serious question, or are you up to your usual devil's advocate questioning?

My take is that Plats are not much different than the other "collectable bullion" categories of Modern Bullion coins. Some of the dates/mintmarks carry a bigger premium because they've become scarcer and harder to find - for whatever reason.

It may well be the case that Platinum Maples don't have as much of a collector base, similar to the fact that other Canadian coins don't have as much of a collector base - and therefore they carry a much lower premium. Your point is well taken however if the main objective is ounces vs. collector desirability, which in fact may be the more rational route.

My approach overall is to split my holdings between straight low-premium bullion vs. "collectable bullion" about 50:50, simply because they each perform differently under different market conditions. Good idea, huh?image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I'm trying to find the pricing mechanism for these. Numismatic history is strewn with low mintage coins that have relatively little premium compared to similar counterparts.

Is the premium in APEs due to collector demand or to a marketing ploy, as we've seen so frequently in other metals the last few years?

If someone wants to own a few ounces of platinum, what would be the reason to own APEs over Maples? When plat was over $2000, what were the prices of these 2 similar products?

• Options
    If someone wants to own a few ounces of platinum, what would be the reason to own APEs over Maples?

For me, it was simply that I prefer the way the American coins look, and also maybe a bit of patriotism. Since my strategy, like most, is to buy them, stick them in a lockbox, look at them occasionally, fret about their change in value, and then die with them and let my heirs sell them to pay their credit card bills, platinum eagles seems like an apt choice.

• Options
    Is the premium in APEs due to collector demand or to a marketing ploy, as we've seen so frequently in other metals the last few years?

Although a marketing ploy is possible, I don't see any evidence of it. No large-scale promotions are evident, and the overall market for platinum eagles is much less liquid that the market for gold eagles. It's difficult to find dealer buy prices for APEs, and sell prices carry a high enough premium to discourage stackers.

My best guess is that demand by collectors and stackers, though small, exceeds new supply by a considerable margin. We see premiums on silver eagles and gold eagles rise whenever the Mint restricts new supply via allocation. The high platinum eagle premiums are a more extreme example of this same phenomenon, since there has been no mintage since 2008 except for high-premium proofs and a short run of one-ounce APEs in 2014.

If the Mint were to resume striking bullion APEs in quantities sufficient to meet demand, the premiums on these coins would soon retreat to more normal levels.

• Options
    I'm trying to find the pricing mechanism for these. Numismatic history is strewn with low mintage coins that have relatively little premium compared to similar counterparts. Is the premium in APEs due to collector demand or to a marketing ploy, as we've seen so frequently in other metals the last few years? If someone wants to own a few ounces of platinum, what would be the reason to own APEs over Maples? When plat was over $2000, what were the prices of these 2 similar products?

I don't think there is a pricing mechanism that can be generalized for Platinum Eagles, even in a strictly bullion sense. The closest formula you might derive would be to average the prices for circulated generic dates and to compare that average to the pricing of Canadian Maples. That would be your baseline.

There may be a population of Platinum Eagles that are sitting in safe deposit boxes in plastic tubes that have never been graded, but these don't enter into the market pricing considerations because they aren't being distributed, if indeed they even exist.

Any Platinum Eagles that have been graded, or those that would potentially "grade out" are the ones that I would be willing to pay the market's current premiums for, if I "needed" them. If they are marred or obviously circulated, I wouldn't consider buying them for anything other than spot, if I were in the market for generic platinum.

The Platinum Eagle series has taken a number of twists & turns since its inception, so I would consider that there are actually 4 different sub-sets that a collector might attempt, non including the various denominations which break those sub-sets into even more sub-sets. There are 1) Proofs, 2) 1997-2003 Uncs with a partial or half Reverse Proof finish, 3) the standard finish Uncs from 2004 to 2014, and 4) the "W" mintmarked Uncs from 2006 to 2008.

Even within those categories there are two separate changing reverse series - the first set from 1997 through 2008, and the second set from 2009 through 2015.

That being the case, my guess is that most of the time pricing is still being driven by collector wants & needs because it is a small, segmented market.

That being the case, if you are mainly interested in a smaller buy-sell spread and want a medium that tracks the market prices pretty well, I'd definitely go with the Platinum Maples. If you like speculating on collector desires, wants and needs - you might consider the 69 & 70 graded Platinum Eagles.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    For “completist” collectors, there are 117 different platinum eagles: 49 bullion (12 years x 4 sizes 1997-2008, and one size in 2014), 55 proofs (12 years x 4 sizes 1997-2008, plus 7 one-ounce 2009-2015), 12 burnished (2006-2008 x 4 sizes), and one reverse proof (2007 ½ ounce). Also a few 2007 “frosted liberty” proof errors.

Premiums for common dates are relatively high, but premiums for the scarcer issues are reasonable, considering that many have mintages below 3,000.

• Options
    Thanks jmski and overdate. That series seems way to complicated for anyone to realistically collect. And based on that observation I do not feel the premiums are worth paying for. The pieces maybe scarce but the collectors even scarcer. I'll probably look at maples in the future. Thanks again.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Difference $25 higher.

• Options
    The spread between platinum and gold has exceeded $200 once again.

Gold $1092, platinum $875.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Overdate
    The spread between platinum and gold has exceeded $200 once again.

Gold $1092, platinum $875.

That's crazy.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    Another negative for platinum-

Removes Platinum from process
  • Options
    As an industrial metal, there are catalysts which drove it down. And the two key words are : catalyst & drove, in my statement.

Lest we forget GM becoming Obamamotors (his baby ), like Lee Iacoca saving Chrysler on a govt. bailout some years ago…. and China becoming the "giant" market maker did nothing for us globally except stocking WalMart, perhaps.
    So , who's economy is in decline ? And why ?
    People with money should spend more of it. Either starting a new business (who cares about failure when our elected officials are the purveyors of that fail ? ), or implementing programs to "dole out" their wealth (fat chance image )
    That would DRIVE a big fat wedge into our dependence on a global economy (socialist /communist regimes)…. and assist, (act as a catalyst) in greasing the wheels of commerce(providing a spark).
    When we tell folks that "cash is king", we get them hiding cash everywhere but in the market. It's a mentality that man manipulates, not a market.

Strong opinion, but it's mine. And that's not a sitting president's fault, unlike his claim that it was his predecessor's . (no politics or religion intended)
    War is hell. But it sure feeds a nation of war mongers. It costs a lot more to keep the peace . Who among us can bite their tongue ? Cars and trucks cost more even though all the components in manufacture cost substantially less. Especially the technology that goes into them. image

It's the engineer's fault image

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin
    As an industrial metal, there are catalysts which drove it down. And the two key words are : catalyst & drove, in my statement.

Lest we forget GM becoming Obamamotors (his baby ), like Lee Iacoca saving Chrysler on a govt. bailout some years ago…. and China becoming the "giant" market maker did nothing for us globally except stocking WalMart, perhaps.
    So , who's economy is in decline ? And why ?
    People with money should spend more of it. Either starting a new business (who cares about failure when our elected officials are the purveyors of that fail ? ), or implementing programs to "dole out" their wealth (fat chance image )
    That would DRIVE a big fat wedge into our dependence on a global economy (socialist /communist regimes)…. and assist, (act as a catalyst) in greasing the wheels of commerce(providing a spark).
    When we tell folks that "cash is king", we get them hiding cash everywhere but in the market. It's a mentality that man manipulates, not a market.

Strong opinion, but it's mine. And that's not a sitting president's fault, unlike his claim that it was his predecessor's . (no politics or religion intended)
    War is hell. But it sure feeds a nation of war mongers. It costs a lot more to keep the peace . Who among us can bite their tongue ? Cars and trucks cost more even though all the components in manufacture cost substantially less. Especially the technology that goes into them. image

It's the engineer's fault image

In honor of Jimmy Page's birthday..."Ramble On"

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Ramblers were good cars.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin
    Ramblers were good cars.

Especially the reclining front seats.

• Options
    I'm trying to find the pricing mechanism for these. Numismatic history is strewn with low mintage coins that have relatively little premium compared to similar counterparts.

If someone wants to own a few ounces of platinum, what would be the reason to own APEs over Maples? When plat was over $2000, what were the prices of these 2 similar products?

I suspect size of the specific collector base has a lot to do with low mintage PM coin premiums. I also suspect that most platinum and paladium investors choose the paper products. Ease of disposal, lack of premiums are primary reasons for not buying the physical. Much bigger market (and ease of disposal) with gold and silver. Liquidity is why I would choose to play these two assets in paper form.

• Options
    The spread between platinum and gold has now exceeded $250.

Gold $1098, platinum $846.

• Options
    Seems like a screaming buy, if ya ask me. Well, maybe not if the economy keeps sliding (even tho' cohodk says it's not).image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

In lieu of rambling, let me share a quarter century, by photo (graph)
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For anyone who is sitting on a pile of gold bullion right now, you should consider switching it all over to platinum and/or silver.

Take advantage of the ratios.

Five years from now when things have reversed, switch the platinum back to gold and you'll probably increase what you have now in gold ounces by 30% (or more!!), regardless of the 5 year price of gold.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    For anyone who is sitting on a pile of gold bullion right now, you should consider switching it all over to platinum and/or silver. Take advantage of the ratios. Five years from now when things have reversed, switch the platinum back to gold and you'll probably increase what you have now in gold ounces by 30% (or more!!), regardless of the 5 year price of gold.

It was more subliminal than intentional, but I've bought some Plats recently, I'm selling off some selected gold, and I'm accumulating some silver of choice with a little more urgency lately. Don't ask me why - it's just one of those things. Overall, I'll still be buying all 3 metals this year.

I knew it would happen.