Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mr. and Mrs. John F. Kennedy - A Handsome Couple

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know that I have said many negative things about the First Spouse series, but there have been two exceptions. I bought the Thomas Jefferson piece, which had the Draped Bust design because Jefferson was a widower. I bought it because I have long admired the Draped Bust design on early U.S. silver. Unfortunately the Proof coin the mint sent to me was poorly made and unattractive. I sold it when I was dealer, and it probably went to scrap.

The second First Spouse coin I purchased was the Jackie Kennedy piece. The mint had informed me that they would not be shipping a coin to me until September because they were out of stock. Surprisingly the "Fulfillment Center" informed that they were shipping a coin to me about a week ago. I expected the worst. I figured I'd get one of those coins someone else had rejected because it didn't grade PR-70. Much to my delight I got a nice coin, although I think it falls just short of PR-70 because there is very tiny dull spot on the right obverse rim because of die polishing. Nevertheless the coin pleases me.

So here they are Mr. and Mrs. John F. Kennedy in .9999 gold.

imageimage

imageimage

JFK was the first presidential candidate that grabbed my attention. Like most kids, my politics were a reflection of my parents views, and they had both become Democrats. My father had a beef with the Republican administration because he thought they had sent in the Wage and Hour G-men and had ruined his business. In fact he was a "yellow dog Democrat" who would have voted for the devil if the Democrats had nominated him. My mother had been raised Republican, and my grandfather on her side had been a Delaware state senator.

So JFK was my guy, and here is the button I wore during that campaign.

I didn't know it at the time, but this Kennedy - COPE button was issued by the AF of L - CIO which had its own beef with the then Delaware Democratic Senator, Allen J. Frear. Frear had rebuffed them on a piece of legislation, and they were actively looking to unseat him in favor of Republican, Caleb Boggs. When I took labor economics in college, the professor described Frear as "a southern senator" which in labor union terms met that he was unsympathetic conservative on labor union issues.

I remember shaking hands with Senator Frear one night at political gathering at my home town, Milton, Delaware. I don't know if Senator Frear noticed my Kennedy COPE button, but if he did, he didn't seem to notice. I would not have known that the group who issued it was looking to send him packing back to Delaware.

Frear lost of the election by less than 2% and was the only incumbent Democratic senator to lose his seat that year. Boggs would serve two terms in the Senate until he was defeated in 1972 by ... Joe Biden.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    beautiful to see these 2 together
    cropping and image size needs a little work for proper presentation

thanks for sharing...nice lil 2 coin set !!!
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that's the portrait of John that's elegant. Not of the new one from him. also. yes, that is a good look of Jackie too!image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins and good work by the Mint! Jackie's portrait is well done and executed by Susan Gamble and Phoebe Hemphill.

Thanks for posting your button and story as well. It's always nice to have more information about the times and events, especially your personal stories with the events and the people. image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I am no fan of ultra-modern NCLT issues I will say that the depictions of both Jackie and JFK on those "coins" are very well executed. How long will the aura that surrounds JFK and Jackie last? They are rapidly fading into history. To children born today they will be history from an ancient era. In twenty years the Kennedy administration may be remembered about as well as that of William McKinley or James Garfield.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While I am no fan of ultra-modern NCLT issues I will say that the depictions of both Jackie and JFK on those "coins" are very well executed. >>

I agree. These are nice looking coins.

<< <i>How long will the aura that surrounds JFK and Jackie last? They are rapidly fading into history. To children born today they will be history from an ancient era. In twenty years the Kennedy administration may be remembered about as well as that of William McKinley or James Garfield. >>

JFK and Jackie are still relevant due to JFK's involvement in the Cuban Missile Crisis and the space program. After all, Cuba has been in the news recently and we only just learned that the X-Men were at the Bay of Pigs image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking at the islands... Type 1, Type 2 or Type 3?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are very nice gold coins.... Kennedy was the last democrat I voted for ... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those two would look nice together in a PCGS 2 coin holder.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file