Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

has anyone else bought a scratched coin and liked it...1921 peace dollar inside

i feel like i've hit a new low in collecting
so i saw this 1921 peace dollar at auction and just couldn't see the scratch as noted on the label
but i do know i was looking at a stunning example which if not scratched would be out of my price budget
maybe one day that will change

so this has become part of my core collection now...A COIN WITH A SCRATCH
in hand it's about a ms64 obverse with a beautiful ms66 reverse ( had it no scratch )
it ended up closing at $170....which i'm happy with

i even sent this to robec for his in hand appraisal

has anyone else included an impaired coin into their collection and feel the same?

seller's images in slab...note the cameo effect of the obverse...when i imaged it...this appears too

sellers image to capture the patina...his horizontal mini blinds were playing with image

MY IMAGES BELOW

1st...to capture the honey toned patina...angled in natural light

2nd...a details type of image

3rd...tried to capture the luster
everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Comments

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

2 things?

-Did you check the proof die markers?

-Send that back in to NGC. That scratch could also be overlooked on the right day.
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like my old one.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like my old one. >>

lol...it is...same cert #?
    i take it you sold it

you know what i'm talking about then
    the reverse is simply amazing like it just came from the mint
    and lady liberty is free of any hits...she almost glows
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin.... yep, I could live with the scratch for a good price... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do die scratches count? image
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teddy: Thanks for posting the photos of your new 1921 Peace Dollar. -- IMO sometimes a scratch is better than deep reed contact marks, or some other surface preservation issues.

You got the coin for a great price -- it was well worth your purchase. -- I'm glad that you now own it!!

Here's a recent purchase of mine that I'm proud to own, with a scratch on the reverse. I think it was net-graded down to MS-61 because of the scratch, which allowed me to purchase a Choice Mint State eye-appealing Semi-Prooflike CBH for a reasonable price.

1826 Capped Bust Half Dollar (O-105) - NGC MS-61 (Semi-Prooflike)
    imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

i take it you sold it

and lady liberty is free of any hits...she almost glows >>

Ya learn something new everyday eh? image I find your peace dollar extremely attractive scratch or no scratch.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have I ever bought a scratched coin and like it?

I have to admit, no. I don't like marked up coins, and even if it is something that is rare, the "What if" or "If it didn't have that" things take away much of my joy at having the piece. About the only way that such a coin can work for me is if the scratch is well hidden in the design and not that obvious.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I nearly cried when I purchased a raw cameo proof War Nickel on eBay that had a huge staple scratch across it that wasn't clear in the images to me. The coin was all there and would have been a gem without it. I returned it.

With regards to your coin, it might be the picture, but I would look to see if there is something else going on with it. At least one of the images makes it look like it could have been whizzed, but again, that can be due to the photography. Keep in mind that PCGS will only list one problem on the label even if it has multiple.
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

i take it you sold it

and lady liberty is free of any hits...she almost glows >>

Yes, same cert #. Looks like someone bought it from me and sold it to you for less. image Such a nice strike, I immediately regretted selling it. Deserves a Reholder/TrueView.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anytime I bought a coin with a big scratch I lived to regret it. No matter how much a "bargain" it seemed to be on day 1, it eventually wore on me to the point where I couldn't wait to get it rid of it. That might have taken months or years, but, that time always came. And rarely did I make money on such a coin.

Fwiw, my very first purchase in the seated series was an 1843-0 quarter in VG. Cost all of $14 back in 1974 from Edgar's Coins in Vienna, WV. I saw it in a Coin World ad or mail bid sale. It was described as having "X's" in the fields. I loved that date back then as being underrated. When I got that coin it had the deepest and widest "X's" dug into each obv field. And despite that, I thought it was reasonable value at that time. What I fool I was. That coin wasn't worth more than $2-$3. I kept that for decades as both my 1st purchase and one of my dumbest ones. Fast forward to around 2008 and I run across this coin at home for the first time in ages. The coin still sucked as much as I remembered it. What I hadn't noticed years back was that it was the large "O" variety, much scarcer than the small o. I sold that coin at the FUN show to a collector who snapped it up immediately for $35. Hey, I made money....after 34 years....lol. Had it been the small "o" it would still have been worth only $5-$8 today. I loved that coin early on, and hated it later on. But I loved the fact that I sold it for a profit.

Ironically, a couple years after I sold that slug, I ran into another unattributed Lg O at my local coin shop. They had it sitting in a pile of silver coins eventually headed to the smelter. This one was a POOR-01 of all things. All wear and in undamaged condition. They wanted $7 for it. A no brainer. It's almost certainly the lowest graded and undamaged one in existence considering maybe at most 100-200 exist. So I made a good "trade" getting rid of the "X" coin for a "POOR-01."
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, same cert #. Looks like someone bought it from me and sold it to you for less. image Such a nice strike, I immediately regretted selling it. Deserves a Reholder/TrueView. >>

ah haht...you know this one's beauty then 1st hand
    it was slung at auction
    my love/hate for it gets erased anytime i have it in hand
    it's pure love to see one of these cartwheel in full bloom with lady liberty being soo clean

wow stuart
    main reason i swallowed my pride and made this thread was so you could see her
    your 1826 cbh is absolutely gorgeous...shameful in a way it was net graded

now let me pick up my jaw as it dropped with crazyoldhounddog not beating me with a bone for buying a coin with a scratch
    hehehe

wow robec
    that booker T is too sweet for eyes to even catch his scratch...awesome example there

usmarine6...hmmm...being the old amphibious boatswainmate i am
    if you was on my mike 8 boat i'd have to park it back 100 yards from the beach just to watch ya swim a little
    NO-NO-NO die scratches don't count in this here thread...this one is about battle wounded coinage image

much respect there bill and
    cameonut2011...uh...i'm a little speechless here...a full cameo proof war nickel...that must of been a sight to see and hold
    i do understand though

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file