Home U.S. Coin Forum

Big Congrats to Glenn Holsonbake (PonyExpress8)

blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
Tonight at closing ceremonies for summer seminar Glenn Holsonbake was presented with the Lawrence J. Gentile award for Outstanding Encouragement of Young Numismatists.

For several years now Glenn has put in many hours helping the YN program at Summer Seminar pulling many late nights helping YN's and doing so while either taking classes or teaching them. I know I have seen Glenn just whipped after some long days but he still pulls through and gives it his all. Outside of summer seminar I cant even count the amount of YN's Glenn has had at his table as he does what he can to show them the ropes. Glenn is always welcoming new YN's he has met to learn all they can from him.

While the award was a complete shock for Glenn, it was beyond well deserved and will look great in his new shop he is opening soon.

Please join me in congratulating Glenn!

Sorry about the bad indoor phone pic.

added Charmy's pic of Glenn and plaque.

Added the ANA announcement link:

Link
http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Comments

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one thing I would have expected in this thread was a good picture...

but seriously- big congrats to Glenn!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭✭
    Glenn is Great.
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Glenn!
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • InlanderInlander Posts: 88 ✭✭✭
    I met Glenn at a show not that long ago, nice guy. Not surprised he received this award at all... Congrats!
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenn is a great guy and ALWAYS worth talking to even if you don't particularly love Barbers.

Well done!
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The one thing I would have expected in this thread was a good picture...

but seriously- big congrats to Glenn! >>

Big congrats to Glenn! Well deserved. I have seen him working with YNs at shows and it's pretty cool.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Glenn. He is an all around great guy and the hobby is lucky to have him.image
  • valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    Glenn is one of the greatest guys I've met in this hobby- willing to give back in anyway possible. It's been an honor to help him behind the table at shows.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    huge congrats there glenn
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty obvious that the future of our hobby is in the hands of our YN's.
    No one understands that more than Glenn. I had the pleasure of assisting him in
    Colorado Springs for two years co-teaching the Coinage of Charles Barber. When
    I couldn't find him in his residence ( he had a room directly across from mine ) I
    would find him in the student union building in a conference room, teaching another
    group of YN's the finer points of grading. As Todd mentioned, Glenn has pushed him-
    self to the point of dragging himself from one obligation to another.

After I retired from my job, I had a lot of spare time on my hands and was able to
    accompany Glenn to shows thruout the country to assist him behind his table. In every
    state that there was a show - he had a small group of YN's willing and able to help him.
    As I manned the table while Glenn was off doing business - our YN's were scurrying around
    selling coins to dealers on the bourse floor. Great bunch of kids ( although most are in their
    early 20's at this point. )

Each and every YN that helped out at the table had nothing but the highest praise for Glenn.
    I remember when I was their age, I also had a mentor who was of great help to me in my
    collecting.,it pleased me no end to see Glenn continue this help with the YN's of today.

Congratulations, Glenn Holsonbake. If anyone ever deserved this award it certainly was you !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kudos to Glenn!

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have picked up some really nice coins from Glenn. He was even helped me get a couple of my coins re-CACed after I had them reholdered.

Congrats to an overall great guy!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    Nothing I have accomplished in numismatics would have been possible without Glenn.

Partner @Gold Hill Coin

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Congrats Glenn. Very well deserved! image
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The one thing I would have expected in this thread was a good picture...

+1 or 2
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Glenn for your commitment to young numismatist !

👍🏼👍🏼
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely well deserved! Congrats, Glenn!
  • ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Glenn!

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenn is a class act. Well deserved

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well deserved!
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Glenn is a class act. Well deserved

Mark >>

Couldn't put it better myself! Congradulations Glenn!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Glenn.... Well done and deserved...Cheers, RickO
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Huge congrats to Glenn. Worthy recognition for a true class act image

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AblinkyAblinky Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    Glenn has been great mentor while I was a YN in the hobby, I couldn't think of anyone more deserving.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats PonyExpress8 imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Glenn is a class act. Well deserved

Mark >>

That is EXACTLY what I was going to post.

if you have't met Glenn, stop by his table at a show and introduce yourself. One of the classiest, nicest guys in the business.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Good job Glenn........well deserved!
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Mr. Glenn. Well done.

Mike
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, Glenn! image
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done and a super cause!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Glenn's been one of my favorite dealers for a long time, so I am extremely happy for him that he received this award.

Congratulations, Glenn.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenn sold some of my Barber dimes on consignment last year, and he did a great job, selling 73 of the 77 coins I sent him. Glad to see him get this YN award!
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go Glenn. Well deserved!
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. My hat is off to the person who goes above and beyond to help YNs.

Congrats!
    Collecting since 1976.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Way to go Glenn. Well deserved! >>

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Glenn, image
  • RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, Glenn! Wish I had been around for second session this year...

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Glenn is one of the BEST image
    Craig

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭✭
    Classy dealer -- congrats!
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Glenn is an absolute top act that I can't say enough about. Simply said, I would not be anywhere close to where I'm at in my (professional) life right now without him.

Absolutely a well-deserved award that couldn't go to a kinder person.

Dennis
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenn is a great guy and really good with YNs.
    He remembers my son and always asks about him, if he can't make the show with me. When he is with me, Glenn speaks to him like he does to anyone else....directly and respectfully, like an adult. It is very appreciated.

He has also treated my son's friend, another YN, with respect.

All around good guy and well deserving of any award!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, Glenn!
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenn is an amazing person, full of energy and love for all things numismatics. He has a special patience and kindness and intuition when dealing with YN's and has sacraficed much just to make sure these young people are learning and enjoying their time at Summer Seminar. I've never met a more deserving person who puts everyoe else ahead of himself. A big huge congratulations to Glenn!!!
    Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly a noble cause. I admire that. Congrats, Glenn!!

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    I want to thank each of you for your kind words and thank you Todd, for starting this thread. I had no idea this was going to happen and it was an emotional high with tears in my eyes as I walked up to the podium to receive it. I was offered the mic to say something but I couldn't so just smiled with tears as I saw the smiles around me from so many friends and colleagues.

Over the years I have attended Summer Seminar in Colorado, both as a student learning more, and as a teacher, the value of being involved and giving something back to the hobby has become a mission of sorts for me. I started like so many of you, collecting out of circulation at the age of 9. Riding my bike to the bank, exchanging rolls, searching through them with my coin books open, swapping a coin here and there if I found a nicer example then the one in the book. Occasionally finding one I didn't have, that was always exciting. One day I had picked up 10 new rolls of cents and found a 1909 VDB and 1907 Indian Cent, both XF if I recall and nice (the only Indian Cent I found in circulation ever) and jumping around the house so excited. Being a West Coast kid of course I was hoping it was an "S" but it didn't matter it was so exciting.

Growing up I never had or found a mentor in coins. Probably the closest was Don whose last name I don't remember, a coin shop owner off of State St. in Santa Barbara as I lived in Goleta. As a teen, who had a bit of money from a paper route and mowing 3-4 lawns regularly, I rode my bike down to Santa Barbara to the two local coin shops to look at coins, fill a few more holes and enjoy the stories when there was time and the shop wasn't too busy. As I became older I collected off and on, doing different series such as a Commemorative Type set, half dime set and later my Barber Half set. Life also happened so my collecting was sporadic as it is most of us, but I kept coming back to enjoying numismatics. When I started dealing part time, then full time I realized how much I had learned over the years, self taught, but also how much I would never know and the pleasure of always finding something new to learn. Building my library of reference books, exploring, tying into history which is another passion of mine. I also realized how different my life and career might have been if I had the benefit of a mentor as a kid. Mind you I'm not complaining, but I vowed to promote numismatics and be supportive of YN's where I could. Little did I know that my efforts to reach out at coin shows to YN's and parents telling them about the ANA Summer Seminar, passing on knowledge I had acquired, sensing their enthusiasm and passion I had as a kid, and still have today would result in this.

I am humbled and lucky to receive the Larry Gentile award. I received a wonderful email from John K. sharing more of the background of the award which was beautiful. Something I will remember the rest of my days.

The passion and love of numismatics is out there among young people, I see it at shows, occasional club meetings and every year in Colorado. My business partner, Steve, also teaches and has been there every year since he was 13 taking classes or teaching (he's now 29). As we open up our new shop together in Sacramento, we are reminded of how fortunate we are to have the friends in numismatics we enjoy and see when we go back to teach or take a class. We both look forward to "coin camp" each year and letting folks know about it, especially the YN's out there that share the same excitement we both have felt and continue to feel. It would be my wish that more of us mentor, teach and give back to the hobby in whatever way we can.

Thanks again everyone and to all my YN friends for your friendship and kindness as well as the ANA and those who nominated me. It is a great honor I will never forget. image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Glenn! Thanks for your efforts to secure a future for the hobby...

K
    ANA LM
  • TAMU15TAMU15 Posts: 577 ✭✭
    I wouldn't be the numismatist I am today, personally and professionally without the support and guidance of several great numismatists including Glenn. It was after meeting Glenn and others at the summer seminar before my freshman year of college that planted the seed that this could be more than a hobby for me. I sat next to Glenn in intermediate grading and learned not only technical skills from him and others but also the importance of sharing the joys of numismatics and the passion i have for it with others. He came down to Texas a couple times the next year where I helped him at several shows. Following my second summer Colorado I pretty much decided that this is what I'm going to do for the rest of my life. Here I am one month out of college managing the shop I worked at in high school and I owe a lot of my success and happiness in my professional life to Glenn and the other mentors I've had. Congrats Glenn- I couldnt think of a better recipient for this well deserved award.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file