Home U.S. Coin Forum

Minnesota ranked the best state for business

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
Apparently coin dealers were not polled in the creation of this article

CNBC

Comments

• TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
    No mention of all the coin dealers leaving the state, and the state and other companies refusing to do business with Minnesota residents.

What a joke, anyone that puts Minnesota at the top of a list like that is obviously juicing the numbers. They even admit to changing their methodology this year, increasing the categories that MN does good in. They also say one of the reasons MN moved up was because they increased taxes a couple of years ago, are you kidding me?

I wonder if CNBC will have to report the article as an in-kind campaign contribution to the MN Democrats.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CNBC? image

Can anyone seriously believe anything this network has to say when it comes to business and capitalism? I'm surprised this left wing outfit didn't rate California as #1. Even the recently departed West Virginia senator, Jay Rockefeller, pointed to the NBC news organization along with Fox News as two totally biased news networks that should be "banned." It's a especially telling when they go out of their way to tell us that the governor of the state is a Democrat.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Business as usual. Selling the news, buying the rumor.
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd not believe a news show, rather believe a expert or someone else

coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/MUcEu23nqpzNqJhX6

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BUSINESS as gauged in this assessment has nothing to do with coins, coin dealers, or any other numismatically related topic.

Does the OP (or any of the authors of the other silly replies so far) realize how absolutely small the coin business was in Minnesota even 5 years ago before the bullion law? Maybe you can't read (?), as the article clearly states what areas were used for the determination.

Coin dealers were likely polled at a frequency proportional to their relevance for the economy of Minnesota -- basically 0%! image

I find it interesting how all of the "Minnesota bashing" seems to always come from people who don't even live here or know anything about how the silly bullion law has actually affected (or not affected) numismatic life in Minnesota. I never really buy into any of these "state ranking" stories, especially ones by 24-hour news cycle idiots. But, c'mon....here's an abbreviated list of large businesses based in Minnesota.

General Mills
    Cargill
    3M
    Mayo Clinic
    Target
    Best Buy
    US Bancorp
    Hormel
    UnitedHealth Group
    Thrivent
    Ameriprise
    Land O'Lakes
    Imation
    Toro
    Polaris

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My boots were made in Minnesota. Walmann lives in Minnesota. My cousins live there, too. It's nice for a couple months per year. You can have the cold, like all the midwest, in the winter.
    I think a plough business would be good. (that's my name in german… PLOUGH)
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it interesting how all of the "Minnesota bashing" seems to always come from people who don't even live here or know anything about how the silly bullion law has actually affected (or not affected) numismatic life in Minnesota. I never really buy into any of these "state ranking" stories, especially ones by 24-hour news cycle idiots. But, c'mon....here's an abbreviated list of large businesses based in Minnesota.

The only direct outcome I see around here is that there are numerous collectors and dealers stating that they won't do coin or bullion business with you if you're from Minnesota. That's not a "silly" effect to me.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to point out the obvious, but numismatics is a very little drop in the very large bucket of a state's economy.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    General Mills
    Cargill
    3M
    Mayo Clinic
    Target
    Best Buy
    US Bancorp
    Hormel
    UnitedHealth Group
    Thrivent
    Ameriprise
    Land O'Lakes
    Imation
    Toro
    Polaris

One might be able to say that those larger companies have a fairly small affect on the lives of a significant % of Minnesotans. If those companies were in my state I would say they account for <1% of my goods and services. My state is probably in the bottom 5-10% for doing business....and it was ranked 46th last year. Plenty of experience with that. Yet this year it's up to 33? Don't see that at all.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to point out the obvious, but numismatics is a very little drop in the very large bucket of a state's economy. >>

This is true. The ANA summer convention is considered too small to bother with by many convention facilities.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    These sorts of ranking all depend on how the categories are prioritized. For example "Quality of Life" is ranked twice as high as "Business Friendliness". And "Workforce" is ranked as more important than "Cost of Doing Business". The relative importance of these categories will vary greatly based on the individual business. In general I would argue the ranking are skewed towards very large corporations. Business friendliness is less important when you have a team of corporate lawyers to deal with local laws/compliance. The quality and number of employees is much more important if you are hiring hundreds of engineers for example then if you run a restaurant or retail store.

Having lived in the Twin Cities area for a while, it is a very nice place in many regards and this survey reflected that. As an actual business owner who relocated specifically targeting the best possible environment for my scenario, Minnesota probably would have been about number 40 on the list of states.
  • TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to point out the obvious, but numismatics is a very little drop in the very large bucket of a state's economy. >>

True, but the ridiculous regulations are just a symptom of an over active legislature as far as regulations go. Fortunately, the biggest problem of full Democrat control of the legislature ended with the last election. Hopefully it does not go back in the next election.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BUSINESS as gauged in this assessment has nothing to do with coins, coin dealers, or any other numismatically related topic.

Does the OP (or any of the authors of the other silly replies so far) realize how absolutely small the coin business was in Minnesota even 5 years ago before the bullion law? Maybe you can't read (?), as the article clearly states what areas were used for the determination.

Coin dealers were likely polled at a frequency proportional to their relevance for the economy of Minnesota -- basically 0%! image

General Mills
    Cargill
    3M
    Mayo Clinic
    Target
    Best Buy
    US Bancorp
    Hormel
    UnitedHealth Group
    Thrivent
    Ameriprise
    Land O'Lakes
    Imation
    Toro
    Polaris >>

The post is tongue in cheek after all of the bullion law discussion here. Of course the bullion law is irrelevant to this assessment. Lighten up.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only direct outcome I see around here is that there are numerous collectors and dealers stating that they won't do coin or bullion business with you if you're from Minnesota.

That's my position. I have no desire to pay extra for the same product simply because the dealer is from Minnesota.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>CNBC? image

Can anyone seriously believe anything this network has to say when it comes to business and capitalism? I'm surprised this left wing outfit didn't rate California as #1. Even the recently departed West Virginia senator, Jay Rockefeller, pointed to the NBC news organization along with Fox News as two totally biased news networks that should be "banned." It's a especially telling when they go out of their way to tell us that the governor of the state is a Democrat. >>

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>CNBC? image

Can anyone seriously believe anything this network has to say when it comes to business and capitalism? I'm surprised this left wing outfit didn't rate California as #1. Even the recently departed West Virginia senator, Jay Rockefeller, pointed to the NBC news organization along with Fox News as two totally biased news networks that should be "banned." It's a especially telling when they go out of their way to tell us that the governor of the state is a Democrat. >>

I am appalled that a senator would call for banning a news outlet. Yes, any good leftist would happily let go of MSNBC if they could silence Fox at the same time since hardly anyone watches the former anyway. The concept of unbiased news is just a clever marketing tool. And I am not even a big fan of Fox for other reasons.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my state is at a whopping #46. i think that will be the first state to go bankrupt if they dont get it into gear. just saying

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file