Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone else notice toned ASE's going for a lot more these days?

bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hadn't purchased one for quite some time. Noticed that ebay BIN's on something nice can go up to a grand or more? Tonight at GC, this sold for $556 with the juice. Pic below. Maybe I should have purchased more when I had the chance?

Comments

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    No, but I have some cooking that I should go check on. They probably need a couple more years though.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't get much more than spot no matter how toned.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't get much more than spot no matter how toned. >>

PCGS adds a lot for toners, both moderns and classics.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievable.... oh well.... somebody else's money.... image Cheers, RickO
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been wishing mine did that so I could get on the band wagon.
    And yes the nicely toned have been in that range for a long time.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the nicest and most common toned Morgans can fetch $15K to $25K, I don't see why $556 is all that big a deal for one of the nicest toned NT ASE's in existence. But it is surprising that this 1993 is only an MS65. Not a very lofty grade for a coin that comes boxed and protected from the mint (ie not in loose 1,000 count bags). Must be a lot of these sitting in albums and sulfur envelopes hoping to be the next Moose.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^
    Lack of luster may have limited the grade.

peacockcoins

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Thanks go to registry digital album. With digital albums, I saw more folks are interesting in beautifully rainbow toned coins. image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real monsters can definitely get expensive but nicely toned ones have been going for around $150-$200. Shane has had a lot of these on eBay recently, but most have still been in the PCI holder. This is a recent purchase of mine. It's the nicest one I've ever seen and it came from from James Sego.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unbelievable.... oh well.... somebody else's money.... image Cheers, RickO >>

Some collect pieces of paper some collect pretty pieces of silver.image

• Not to advertise for other services but:

Because some of these look righteously AT I would think that a good premium could be had for highly-toned coins that have either the "MAC" or "QA" beans on them.

I assume (because I don't know much about either service) that their "agreeing with the NT" would give a good deal of credence to the grade, right? Similar to highly-toned CAC'd coins. They double (easily) the value of the toned coin in many cases.
    I don't think the MAC sticker would carry any weight for a coin like this as it's already in a PCGS holder (as is mine).
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to advertise for other services but:

Because some of these look righteously AT I would think that a good premium could be had for highly-toned coins that have either the "MAC" or "QA" beans on them.

I assume (because I don't know much about either service) that their "agreeing with the NT" would give a good deal of credence to the grade, right? Similar to highly-toned CAC'd coins. They double (easily) the value of the toned coin in many cases. >>

Oh, HELL NO!
    I would agree potentially with the QA sticker bit, and I did show James some of mine a few months ago but haven't submitted yet, but there is NO WAY, given some histories, I would trust the other you mentioned....and especially not after some of the responses in threads from the principle who has started to engage.

I don't have any proof toned SAEs but I do have some nicely toned MS ones in PCGS. I sold off about a half-dozen or more some years back ($120-$240 when silver was ~$10/oz and PCGS fees were a lot less).
    I kept another 8-10 or so. Some dupes. I may have to think about selling a few again.

Personally though, I don't like the ones that have a very harsh circle, such as the one in the OP has. The other colors are fine with me, but, I don't like that harsh circle.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>

I assume (because I don't know much about either service) that their "agreeing with the NT" would give a good deal of credence to the grade, right? Similar to highly-toned CAC'd coins. They double (easily) the value of the toned coin in many cases. >>

Oh, HELL NO!
    I would agree potentially with the QA sticker bit, and I did show James some of mine a few months ago but haven't submitted yet, but there is NO WAY, given some histories, I would trust the other you mentioned....and especially not after some of the responses in threads from the principle who has started to engage.

I don't have any proof toned SAEs but I do have some nicely toned MS ones in PCGS. I sold off about a half-dozen or more some years back ($120-$240 when silver was ~$10/oz and PCGS fees were a lot less).
    I kept another 8-10 or so. Some dupes. I may have to think about selling a few again.

Personally though, I don't like the ones that have a very harsh circle, such as the one in the OP has. The other colors are fine with me, but, I don't like that harsh circle. >>

So if I may clarify: You are saying that "QA" stickering these toned examples IS A GOOD IDEA, right? You just don't like "MAC". (I have nearly zero knowledge on either service.)

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oh, HELL NO!

Personally though, I don't like the ones that have a very harsh circle, such as the one in the OP has. The other colors are fine with me, but, I don't like that harsh circle. >>

So if I may clarify: You are saying that "QA" stickering these toned examples IS A GOOD IDEA, right? You just don't like "MAC". (I have nearly zero knowledge on either service.) >>

I'm saying that, for me, I would be ok doing the QA sticker as I don't see that being a negative and it would either be, to me, neutral to good.
    The other.....well, buy the coin and not the sticker, but I wouldn't be pursuing it...as a submitter nor as a purchaser.

I do some investigations before I do things with my money/hobby and, if things don't pass the bar I have (ie....sniff test), then I don't want/use them. At some points, I could be wrong. In many cases, however, I have been saved (judging by things posted in this very forum that I had the opportunity to be involved in but decided to pass on)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Thank you for some candid advice Bochiman. I, and probably others, are very likely to take it to heart!
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sticker....no sticker....once you learn what NT toning looks like just go for it as these will keep going higher.
    Granted just like other toned coins it can be faked but since its .999 silver I have an easier time figuring it out to as NT or AT.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Real monsters can definitely get expensive but nicely toned ones have been going for around $150-$200. Shane has had a lot of these on eBay recently, but most have still been in the PCI holder. This is a recent purchase of mine. It's the nicest one I've ever seen and it came from from James Sego.

image >>

David, I actually followed your coin on ebay for a while. Had no idea about the premiums these were bringing. Actually pm'd segoja about the coin to see if it had sold.
    As for stickering, I trust PCGS to make that determination although like Stef, I have become pretty good at sorting AT from NT on these.
    Two of my 96's below.

Very pretty coins! That second one is a real stunner. I never saw my coin on eBay, which is too bad as I probably would have saved some money.
    Nice one's, BS!
    I can get onboard with the smoothness of that toning!!!

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 96s, Mel. Love the look of both. 1996 is one of the better dates, too as I recall.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Oh, HELL NO!

Very good! I find myself in agreeance about the harsh circle. The other toned ASEs in this thread exhibit smooth transition between colors in the spectrum which is more indicative of NT. I am surprised they gave the OP coin the green light. Also one of the highest $$$ I have seen shelled out for a toned business strike ASE. I recall seeing a certain business strike banded target ASE bring about $1800 on Heritage about 7 or 8 years back.

braddick, I agree with your observation as to luster. Sharp eye, as usual.

coinsarefun, you are, of course, correct as I know you are an avid collector of toned proof ASEs and your observations as to that market are spot on so far as I see. Toned ASE I keep my finger on the pulse of, as I do with many of the toned US coin markets.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file