Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

At major auctions, who buys more - Dealers or Collectors?

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the '70s when it seemed that a lot more coins were bought on the auction floor and people tended to make personal pick-ups unstead of having the coins shipped, it seemed like dealers bought coins in greater volumes. I can't speak to the dollat amounts.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think it would be one or the other.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dealers normally.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably varies with the size of the show.... for example, FUN may be more on the dealer side, and small shows more on the collector side.... This is just an assumption on my part, nothing to back it up. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whoever has the most cash to spend
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe things have changed since 1975-2006. But during those periods the majority of buyers at the bigger "floor" auctions were dealers, even if many were buying on commission for collectors. Internet only auctions are a different animal. A large % of collectors feel comfort in buying something directly from a dealer they trust, even if it means they find it for them at auction and then resell it to them.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is that collectors buy more significantly more than dealers at the major auctions.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a split decision.

But the collectors wind up with the coins eventually, so we'll give them the victoryimage
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dealers !!! :-(
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost impossible to know.
    For most auctions, the overwhelming majority of floor bidders are dealers. With the advent of internet bidding, a higher and higher proportion of lots are won by non-floor bidders.

Many more collectors turn out to major sales, such as Eliasberg, Husak, etc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file