Home U.S. Coin Forum

Price to expect on 300 Morgan's

jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have around 300 Morgan dollars I am trying to sell for my aunt. What can she expect to get from a dealer if I sell for her broken up by grades ranging from g to au? Thanks!

Comments

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they all raw? A dealer will probably give you an amount below melt for that many, it might be better to sort them out into better dates and culls before you sell.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    $4.494.00
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Today's melt value is approx $3705.00. That would be on well worn common dates. As said above, you need to separate out better dates and significantly higher grades.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy to get $4k

Edit - If you don't want to spend the time to search them, see what Mad Marty will pay to pick through them.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Today's melt value is approx $3705.00. That would be on well worn common dates. As said above, you need to separate out better dates and significantly higher grades. >>

$1 silver coins from the Peace and Morgan era go for more than melt generally speaking.

the question is -- does she have any key coins? does she have an 93-S? An 81-CC or 89-CC? etc?

Or any major varieties? 78 with 8 Tail Feathers on the Eagle? etc?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You had best go through them to see if there are any better dates. Chances are there aren't, but you can't assume. You also need to bear in mind that with some Morgan Dollars Mint State coins are very expensive, but the ciruclated grades are cheap.

The common date pieces in VG and up should bring $22 apiece or so. The damaged pieces and the pieces in Good, maybe $18 or so. The Gray Sheet numbers (Coin Dealer Newsletter) are higher, but those numbers are more like what dealers WANT for them, not what they will pay.

You should get more than "melt" for Morgan silver dollars. They do have a following that is more than it is for "junk silver."

EDIT - I just visited my local dealer. He is paying $15 to $20 each and selling for $20 to $25 given a $12 per ounce price from silver.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    I would take them on consignment.

If you're just looking to dump them, well...
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$4.494.00 >>

too low
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wholesale on ave circ common dates would be $5k easy.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    APMEX sells 100 or more cull Morgans at 3.50 over spot. They do not show a buy price.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭
    Try selling them on the BST. They should bring about 17-20 each depending on grade.

I'd be interested in some around that price.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as a range I would pay between $4500-$9300 if cull-AU depending on which for common dates.

Likelihood is the $5k mark will easily be crossed.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bulk price for 300 should not be less than $5500 (unless you are talking slicks)....Cheers, RickO
  • jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all of the replies and PMs. I an on vacation the next week and will sort these out and respond to those who may be interested. There are a lot of vf and xf coins.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot less than last year.

May be a good time to hold and sort. image

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd be happy to get $4k

Edit - If you don't want to spend the time to search them, see what Mad Marty will pay to pick through them. >>

Is that Mad Marty that carries bags of Silver to a local B&M wholesaler ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file