Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grading on 1895-o Morgan

I just viewed an AU-58 1895-O+ CAC being offered by Larry Shapiro on E-Bay. While not an expert, I've been collecting for over forty years and if this coin qualifies as
an AU-58+ CAC I'm giving up the hobby.

Comments

  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin has an amazingly poor strike over the ear, but I can't disagree with the grade. It looks Mint State otherwise.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1895-O dollars are among the worst made coins in the series. Virtually all of them are ugly, and they were ugly from the time they left the dies at the New Orleans Mint. The coin is noted for weak details and dull luster.

    This is one of those coins were to me a nice AU coin can be better than a technically graded Mint State piece.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 25,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of like it (for the date):

    image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it, too. I'm not going to pretend to know the difference between 58 and 58+ from a photograph, but that coin has very little rub, and perhaps none on the reverse.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks AU58+ to me. Some very faint obv high point discoloration (rub?)....full luster...a tiny hit on the eagle would only preclude a 63/64 or higher grade. The luster actually glows. Strike is irrelevant on an AU coin. I don't see how you could get any closer to MS. It's not a MS63 or higher coin so I can live with the tiny cut and the typical strike. No field friction either.

    Finding a 58 without the fields heavily chattered and/or full luster is not that simple. I've been collecting for over 50 years.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with everything said so far....very nice for the date.
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    dude! That's incredible unbroken luster for a 58 and while the strike is weak I've seen a lot worse in 61/62 holders. If those pics are accurate that one deserves the + for sure! Nice coin!
    Steve

    Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like ++
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1895-O dollar is about as good as gets, unless you are willing to pay $55,000 or more. I had one that was not quite that nice when I was dealer. Another dealer had one in a PCGS MS-60 holder that was dark and unattractive, at least to me. I'd rather have this one or the one I had years ago.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    3sidesofsilver3sidesofsilver Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    This AU58+ is rather pleasing with good eye appeal. I like it. Every grade increase from 40 up in this series takes a large price jump. I have looked at many and would agree with previous posts that the 60 and up grades, while quite pricey, just don't have the nice look of the lower grades due to weak strikes and bag marks. For comparison, here is mine. It is actually a XF45 with a green bean, has minimal to no luster, is weak over the ear, and shows barely any breast feathers. It isn't pretty by any stretch, but it looks sharp to my eye.

    image;image
    --Craig
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sorry to see you quit the hobby Cointoss, but you're out! image
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what grade do you think it deserves?
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks good to me, O mint Morgan dollars are known for being poorly struck.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notoriously weak struck issue. There is enough "gray area" on the
    portrait to warrant the grade. For a 95-O it's very nice at the grade level.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks accurately graded to me (58....would have to see coin in hand for +)... and product offered by Larry is, from my perspective, solid. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks accurately graded to me (58....would have to see coin in hand for +)... and product offered by Larry is, from my perspective, solid. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    duplicate... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks very OK to me!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

    "“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

    "I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file