Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is any one looking for the 2015 Homestead Nebraska quarter doubled die?

Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just asking some are kind of cool. image Selling for big $$$$.

Hoard the keys.

Comments

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought the best die for a little under $25. I kinda like that pump handle "reflection" in the window pane.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    There seems to be plenty available.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a seller in Georgia that flooded the marker with them and demolished the original selling prices. When first reported, they were selling for between $150 to $200 each. This seller dumped his entire holding on eBay trying to make a quick buck. In doing so, I think the prices are lower than what they will end up being after another 6 months or so.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    There needs to be a " Killroy was here" variation to honor the WWII Generation. The Mint could easily make this happen.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any pictures of the DDO?? Cheers, RickO
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to see any 2015 quarter in circulation. What does this variety look like?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Featured in Numismatic News

Lets' see how fast this gets into the CPG (stepping on beard) image
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like the 2009 skeleton finger is the most significant of all the 2009's, the only one of these that I have bought multiples of is the 004 (as shown above).

Just a warning if you buy the 100 coin bags of the "P" mint which has the 004. The original errors were found in bags with boxes that have a February date stamped on them. The mint ran out of the P bags over a month ago, none were available on their website for an entire month. Just this weekend the Mint released another 100 bags of the "P" mint bags. I'm guessing these coins may have been produced with new dies, and do not contain the error. So if you're looking for the 004, check to make sure the boxes have a February date stamp before you buy.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup and they are finding them in rolls with that date 02/02 or around there. image

Hoard the keys.
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    During my occasional visits to mint HQ kiosk, I usually get $20-30 worth from the uncirculated quarter machines to put away. Found 10 of these, I believe number 004, and 1 of the lesser versions. Nice finds but seem plentiful.

(l8-)>>

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There seems to be plenty available. >>

thats cool.
    There's really no reason for him to flood the market. The same few sellers seem to have most of the 004. He's just shooting himself in the foot, he should let these slowly trickle out.

You have to look closely at his Ebay listing title. At first blush it appears you might be getting a bunch of 004's. In actuality it is some 004's, and a bunch of lesser desired errors.
  • goldman86goldman86 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    45 total listings on ebay for the Homestead Quarter 004 and 21 are from the same seller. I would say one person thinks they are plentiful. Once he is done selling, they probably won't seem so plentiful anymore.
    The Stealth Ninja
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    It is good that there are plenty for now. It will only help its popularity. Though the doubling is so small. I may buy one, still on the fence.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be hunting these 'in the wild'...most fun that way... still looking for a couple others as well. Cheers, RickO
  • I have two of these.I'll have to check them.......any mm in particular?
    Mark Anderson

<< <i>It is good that there are plenty for now. It will only help its popularity. Though the doubling is so small. I may buy one, still on the fence. >>

When viewed side by side, with a normal quarter, it's pretty obvious. The doubling is quite apparent and can be seen without magnification.

I would say they're on the same order as the Duke Ellington doubling, as far as the spread of the doubling. But these are much more plentiful because they were found in Mint products, like some of the 2009 Lincoln DDRs.

I think it's a winner in the long term.
  • The two I have are from ciculation(from a walmart).Both "D" mm.No doubling or reflection.Hope this helps in the search.
    Mark Anderson
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    I heard P mint clad only

(l8-)>>

It's the P clad mintmark for the 004. Most 004 are being found in the 100 coin mint bags.

Here's what Ken Potter said: " ...However, none of the Minnesota doubled dies have the eye-appeal of the top Homestead quarter doubled die. it is more comparable to the 2009-D District Of Columbia Doubled Die Reverse #1(DDR-001 FS-801), which features strong doubling of “ELL” of Duke Ellington’s name and the piano key..."

"...the recently released 2015-P Homestead (Nebraska) America the Beautiful quarters. At least one of the varieties falls into the category of what I’d consider major perhaps strong enough to find its way into the Cherrypickers’ Guide..."

http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/new-doubled-die-quarter-discovered
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's the P clad mintmark for the 004. Most 004 are being found in the 100 coin mint bags.

Here's what Ken Potter said: " ...However, none of the Minnesota doubled dies have the eye-appeal of the top Homestead quarter doubled die. it is more comparable to the 2009-D District Of Columbia Doubled Die Reverse #1(DDR-001 FS-801), which features strong doubling of “ELL” of Duke Ellington’s name and the piano key..."

"...the recently released 2015-P Homestead (Nebraska) America the Beautiful quarters. At least one of the varieties falls into the category of what I’d consider major perhaps strong enough to find its way into the Cherrypickers’ Guide..."

http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/new-doubled-die-quarter-discovered >>

I have been watching the mints website for the 100 coin bags to be listed(since I read that is where they were found) and on Saturday morning to my surprise the P's were listed.

I picked up two bags and 10 minutes later they were sold out again.

Bags were shipped and will be arriving on Saturday, figure it should be a fun search since there are so many different ones.

Agree the 004 will be listed in the CPG one day..................Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not yet. Maybe in a few years.

HE>I

<< <i>

I picked up two bags and 10 minutes later they were sold out again.

Bags were shipped and will be arriving on Saturday, figure it should be a fun search since there are so many different ones.

Agree the 004 will be listed in the CPG one day..................Enjoy image >>

Tommy please post the dates of the boxes you get. The consensus on a few of the other forums is that because the bags sold out so quickly when the 004 was discovered a month ago, that these "new last Saturday bags" will be coins with new dyes, and without the 004 error.

Because the mint had no bags for a month after discovery, and all the February stamped boxes (bags) got snapped up a month ago. Now all of a sudden 100 bags show up this weekend. The thought is new dyes without errors might be in the weekend bags you and 98 others got (100 bags became available this weekend).

For sure the boxes with the February time stamp give you your best chance at the 004.
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    at $25 each, these might not have much more room to run. Cool error though!
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
    Looks like date and time on box's are 02/02/2015 10:05:46. "P" Mint.

Hoard the keys.

<< <i>Looks like date and time on box's are 02/02/2015 10:05:46. "P" Mint. >>

not my auction but here is a sealed box close to that time and on 2/2/15

link

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole

The day and month might be right. Have to get more info. The time seems to specific. There should be at time range, say 10-2:30 or something.

Remember the skeleton finger had a 4 hour time range. We will have to wait and see. But I definitely agree it has to have a February date.

<< <i>

not my auction but here is a sealed box close to that time and on 2/2/15

link >>

I saw another sealed box with same date, different time. Both might be winners or....
    I think if it's within two or three day's it will be fine. image

Hoard the keys.

<< <i>I think if it's within two or three day's it will be fine. image >>

Agree.

I see someone listed 4 boxes, with no pics of the boxes, and no date given. This is probably someone who bought some of the 100 boxes issued Saturday. I wouldn't touch those boxes until Tommy confirms 004 in his Saturday boxes.
    Does anyone know if PCGS is recognizing this variation?
    The Stealth Ninja
    They must be even more common than many think. Sellers are now selling rolls of 40 004 errors on ebay.

not my auction
    roll of 40

<< <i>They must be even more common than many think. Sellers are now selling rolls of 40 004 errors on ebay.

not my auction
    roll of 40 >>

He's asking $25 a coin. These initial, raw Nebrasks quarter 004 are selling for more than the 006 Skeleton Finger at the same point in time. If memory serves me from 6 years ago I was paying $5-6 for the raw Skeleton Finger.

<< <i>

<< <i>They must be even more common than many think. Sellers are now selling rolls of 40 004 errors on ebay.

not my auction
    roll of 40 >>

He's asking $25 a coin. These initial, raw Nebrasks quarter 004 are selling for more than the 006 Skeleton Finger at the same point in time. If memory serves me from 6 years ago I was paying $5-6 for the raw Skeleton Finger. >>

Which are currently $25. Do you see these going for 4-5x the initial price??

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm unimpressed. OK, it is a variety, and should be recognized, but reminds me of the Minn quarter with tree artifacts.

The Formative extra fingers Lincoln are far more numismatically sexy, IMHO.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • dmarksdmarks Posts: 450 ✭✭
    I looked through 4 $25 bags I received from the mint yesterday. They all were dated 2/2 with a time of about 1:05. No luck on the 004 variety. Still, you got to be in it to win it. Definitely more fun than a lotto ticket. Hope that helps.

<< <i>I looked through 4 $25 bags I received from the mint yesterday. They all were dated 2/2 with a time of about 1:05. No luck on the 004 variety. Still, you got to be in it to win it. Definitely more fun than a lotto ticket. Hope that helps. >>

Thanks for the update and did you see any of the other 20 different ones?

Goldman66, Nope pcgs will not do any of these until they get in the CPG or one of the Big guys gets behind them.

The Formative pennys should have been included YEARS ago but didn't have someone special behind them, so we have waited 6 years.

My bags should be here today or tomorrow as there showing in town.

Also wondering how folks knew the mint sold 100 bags last week?

So at least Dmarks boxes were from 2/2 and will see if my times are earlier or later.......

Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a 3 coin set (DDR-004, -002, and -019) from Ebay earlier this week for $25. I think the -004 is interesting enough that I just wanted one for my collection. First time I've ever paid for an "error" coin. Of course it didn't hurt that I live 1 mile from Nebraska.

<< <i>I'm unimpressed. OK, it is a variety, and should be recognized, but reminds me of the Minn quarter with tree artifacts.

The Formative extra fingers Lincoln are far more numismatically sexy, IMHO. >>

It's all about who's behind the promotion. Remember Hi/Low Leaves, or Speared Bison? The host has completely removed itself from appearing to endorse varieties, and has left their recognition up to Whitman Publishing and other authors. It's a shame really that years must pass before you can have your coin labeled as a variety, by the host; for which this Homestead DDR is unquestionable. IMO

<< <i>I looked through 4 $25 bags I received from the mint yesterday. They all were dated 2/2 with a time of about 1:05. No luck on the 004 variety. Still, you got to be in it to win it. Definitely more fun than a lotto ticket. Hope that helps. >>

Received yesterday? Strange you got yours so quick. Because someone posted elsewhere he also bought last Saturday's bags, and like Tommy has a this Saturday arrival date.

Tommy please tell us the date on your bags. And if there are 004?
    It probably has to do with the fact that I am located in atlanta, pretty close to the shipping center.I have a few more sealed boxes I would be glad to sell you if u would like to go through some yourself. All of them are dated 2/2 with a time stamp of between1:10 and 1:15. No need to spend $180 on ebay for them.

Also for any of you sleuths out there I have 3 boxes with time stamps within a 20 second time frame. If anyone knows the time frame in which these errors are being found, I guess we can come up with a guesstimate of how many were produced. I have heard the number 20,000 thrown around but that was from someone who was trying to sell them to me. I would think the number is much higher. Hope that helps someone.
    The Stealth Ninja

<< <i>I have heard the number 20,000 thrown around but that was from someone who was trying to sell them to me. I would think the number is much higher. >>

That would be debatable. From what I've seen of these and other varieties, the dies do not appear to hold up very well. They are loaded with chips and breaks. Even if it were 50K, that's nothing really.

<< <i>It probably has to do with the fact that I am located in atlanta, pretty close to the shipping center.I have a few more sealed boxes I would be glad to sell you if u would like to go through some yourself. All of them are dated 2/2 with a time stamp of between1:10 and 1:15. No need to spend $180 on ebay for them.

Also for any of you sleuths out there I have 3 boxes with time stamps within a 20 second time frame. If anyone knows the time frame in which these errors are being found, I guess we can come up with a guesstimate of how many were produced. I have heard the number 20,000 thrown around but that was from someone who was trying to sell them to me. I would think the number is much higher. Hope that helps someone. >>

This is very helpful in pinning down the correct times for the 004. We can now eliminate your given time of 1:05. That's a big help!

If you do find a good box, could you also please share the inspectors 4 digit code? Thanks.
    Until we hear more about dates and errors, we only have goldman86 saying his 2-2-15 box at 1:05 yielded nothing.

So my guess is that, like the skeleton finger, the errors happened in the AM, and were not found in 2-2-15 boxes after 1:00.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found 2 WDDR-016's in Mint Sets last night. It looks like a window within the window. Not sure how tough these are to find but it is a neat error.
    Well the fedex shipment was turned over to my Local PO on friday and surprised they now changed the arrival date until Monday.

Goldman86 did you find any of the errors in the boxes that you opened? I also read somewhere that the 004 were passed out to the kids at the ceremony and they have been found at banks from florida to calif.

I called all my banks and a few had the D's but we never get the P's in Illinois. I also thought that I bookmarked the person who found them in the mints bags and thought they showed the time stamp but cannot find the link.

I know Papi kept detailed notes about the formative pennies and how not only the time stamp but on what days. The 004 might just have been in the morning run. Will update on Monday after I go thru my 2 boxes...........Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

I think we can find them in circulation in bank rolls as well. image

Hoard the keys.
    Looks like ANACS is recognizing the DDR 004 error. Looks like PCGS will have to recognize it although who know what they want for grading these things.
    The Stealth Ninja
    I opened one of my boxes dated 2-2 time of 10:19. These were not purchased on the week ago Saturday release. They were purchased from the Mint prior to that Saturday.

Found over 20 of DDR-004, and even more of the DDR-002.

Right on target.... image

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file