Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

LC's Oddball Golf Cards Thread

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's plenty more to come, Dan, though I think I'm running pretty low on 1920s issues image
  • Options
    1954 Sporten EN Spelen in Woord EN Beeld
    Size: 2.25x3.5"
    Manufacturer: Blue Band
    Distribution: Margarine
    #39, Netherlands issue that translates to '40 Sports and Games in Words and Pictures'. Thin paper, meant to have a flap near the top glued into an album. Set contains 'cards' for Joe Louis and Jesse Owens.

ETA: Thanks to Greg for helping me figure this one out! Link
  • Options
    1965 Freddie & the Dreamers
    Size: Standard
    Manufacturer: P.T.A./Philadelphia Gum
    Distribution: Packs?
    #55 'Groveling on the Ground'
  • Options
    1992 Diamond Sports Mem.-Hand Cut
    Manufacturer: Diamond Sports Memorabilia
    Distribution: Uncut sheets in magazine
    #7 Trevino, 1991 copyright, but issued in the Jan/Feb 92 issue w/Marino on the cover
    #27 Mickelson, 1992 copyright, in the May/June 92 issue w/Ripken on the cover. Issued 10 years prior to his 02UD 'rookie' and widely regarded his true RC.
  • Options
    1994 Summer of '94
    Manufacturer: Unknown
    Distribution: Unknown
    Unauthorized 'Collectible Promo Card'. The first of probably many Jordan golf cards. Set also contains Griffey Jr and a Jordan baseball card.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish someone would make a card from this! Picture of Cal after his first Hole-In-One in August of 2012

Fore!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>I wish someone would make a card from this! Picture of Cal after his first Hole-In-One in August of 2012 >>

I would be a buyer image I love the cross-sports cards for MJ, Dale Jarrett, and others showing them golfing.
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I love the cross-sports cards for MJ, Dale Jarrett, and others showing them golfing. >>

If by chance you haven't seen it, there's one of Greg Maddux golfing (I think at the HOF tournament) in Stadium Club this year.

Also, I haven't commented here before now, but I do enjoy this thread very much.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I love the cross-sports cards for MJ, Dale Jarrett, and others showing them golfing. >>

If by chance you haven't seen it, there's one of Greg Maddux golfing (I think at the HOF tournament) in Stadium Club this year.

Also, I haven't commented here before now, but I do enjoy this thread very much. >>

Thanks for the heads up and glad to hear you're enjoying it! How many parallels of that Maddux do I need to chase?
  • Options
    1910 T218 Champions
    Size: 2.5x2.875"
    Manufacturer: Mecca
    Distribution: Smokes
    Finally got a copy of the 6th golfer in this set, Jack Hobens. I'm in need of a couple upgrades (Douglas for sure), but PSA6 is pretty high grade for this set with only a handful of the golfers graded higher and none over an 8. Unlike a lot of the other sports in this set, the golfers are only available with the Mecca back AFAIK.
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the heads up and glad to hear you're enjoying it! How many parallels of that Maddux do I need to chase? >>

Ha! According to cardboard connection, you only need the regular and Gold Foil (1:3 packs), Black Foil (1:8), hobby-exclusive Black & White Foil (1:48), Foil Board (#/25) and Members Only (one per case). Piece of cake.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the heads up and glad to hear you're enjoying it! How many parallels of that Maddux do I need to chase? >>

Ha! According to cardboard connection, you only need the regular and Gold Foil (1:3 packs), Black Foil (1:8), hobby-exclusive Black & White Foil (1:48), Foil Board (#/25) and Members Only (one per case). Piece of cake. >>

OK, was able to pick up the first three easily. It doesn't look like the others have sold for outrageous amounts, but saw one listing saying the MO had a print run of 7 and 3 have already sold via eBay so it may be a while before one becomes available.
  • Options
    1994 Upper Deck MJ Rare Air
    Manufacturer: Upper Deck
    Distribution: Packs/sets?
    #s 32-35 feature Michael golfing, with equipment or on a huge phone on the course.
  • Options
    A little something for the racing fans....
    1994 Press Pass
    Manufacturer: Press Pass
  • Options
    1994 Action Packed
    Manufacturer: Action Packed
    #149 Dale Jarrett shown, #s 143 (Derrike Cope) & 165 (Mike Wallace) also feature golfing, but I don't have examples to show of those. All the golf related are part of Series 3.
  • Options
    1994 Comic Images - Bill Ward: 50 Fabulous Years of Torchy Omnichrome
    Manufacturer: Comic Images
    Distribution: Packs?
    #s 1, 3, & 5
  • Options
    LMAO!!
    Jordan on the giant phone is my favorite yet!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Looks like he's grabbing the 3 wood.
  • Options
    2015 Stadium Club
    Manufacturer: Topps
    Distribution: Packs
    #259, base, gold, and black foil shown. Thanks for the heads up on these, graygator! If anyone has the Black & White Foil, Foil Board, or Members Only they are willing to part with, let me know.
  • Options
    1991 Air Jordan
    Manufacturer: Unknown
    Distribution: Wherever unauthorized cards are sold
    NNO
  • Options
    1930s? Maywood Club labels
    Size: 3x4" (approx)
    Manufacturer: The American Liquor Company
    Distribution: NOS from unused labels
    imageimage
    At least 3 variations available: no size specified, pint & quart. Here's the only place I found with any reference to a date on these: Circa 1930s

ETA: Quart scan.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kyle, not related to the items above, but I just sent you a PM about some other stuff.

• Options
    The Maddux cards are cool
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1994 Upper Deck MJ Rare Air
    Manufacturer: Upper Deck
    #s 32-35 feature Michael golfing, with equipment or on a huge phone on the course. >>

Dig the brick with the antenna lol
  • Options
    It's been too long and I just got some new arrivals to remind me....
    1971 Sport O'Gold Golf Game
    Size: 3x4.25"(approx)
    Manufacturer: Sport O'Gold Corp.
    Scratch off golf game. Card #1 is the front 9, card #2 the back. Perhaps the earliest scratch card, since they supposedly weren't invented until 1974? Every reference I've seen has these listed as a 1971 issue.
  • Options
    1987 Fax Pax Golf
    Size: 2.5x4" (approx)
    Manufacturer: Fax-Pax
    Distribution: Sets
    36 card unnumbered set, all golfers.
  • Options
    1994 Imperial Tobacco For the Man Who Thinks That Little Bit Bigger/Russ Abbott
    Size: 1.5x3" (approx)
    Manufacturer: Imperial Tobacco
    #4 The Sure Shot is the only golf related card in this 12 card set.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    cool card, kyle! 1994?
  • Options

<< <i>cool card, kyle! 1994? >>

That's what my golf card guides and Beckett say, though Beckett can't spell tobacco (TABACCO on flip). It's for the Classic Mild Cigars. I have a raw spare; if you want it, it's yours. I'd offer my spare front 9 of the Sport O'Gold, but I know your aversion to oversize.
  • Options
    i'll take her! looks like a much older card and was gonna ask if they had old school "swing drs" back then...similar to the pvc ones we occasionally see these days???

btw: did you ever find a 79 quelcom nicklaus card?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - interesting card Kyle.

I was gonna ask the same thing about the date.

Also, does that guy have a cigar in his mouth? Also, what the heck is that circle for?

My guess - to insure the guy takes a proper swing? Tho, if he misses? I could be a disaster!

The pants reminded me of Caddyshack - Rodney!
    Mike
  • Options
    The swing dr on the card appears to be metal w/a leather belt and bungees. Not sure when they were invented, but this is the earliest image of one I can recall even from 94. I've had the raw copy for a long time and it's one I keep pulling out to check out the image.

No on the Quelcomm. I really need to set up a search for those, but I've been focusing on getting enough Seve and Henry Cotton graded to get some player registries started.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow - interesting card Kyle.

I was gonna ask the same thing about the date.

Also, does that guy have a cigar in his mouth? Also, what the heck is that circle for?

My guess - to insure the guy takes a proper swing? Tho, if he misses? I could be a disaster!

The pants reminded me of Caddyshack - Rodney! >>

Thanks! Yes on the cigar, that's what is being advertised on the back. It's a training aid to get the feel for a 'perfect' arc on your swing, set the club on the outside edge of the circle and try to keep it on there through the backswing and post-impact. It would be pretty funny to see golfers with unusual swings try it out, Bubba and Furyk come to mind.

I wish there was a card set for Caddyshack, that would be classic!
  • Options
    pm me your address. bought a group of cards the other day that had several in them...

we'll just trade straight up if ya want.
  • Options
    1999 Nicklaus Golf Equipment
    Manufacturer: Nicklaus Golf Equipment Company, L.C.
    Distribution: Complete set in single foil pack
    Most cards have an inset picture of Nicklaus along with a 'Jack Fact' on back, fronts show the different equipment available. I found the back of the pack amusing "This pack contains a full 25 card set of the 1999 Nicklaus Golf Equipment Catalog Cards. Approximate odds of finding every card in the set are 1:1"
  • Options
    Added a player card scan to the 1987 Miller Press post on Page 5.
  • Options
    Added the scan of the Maywood Quart label on this page.
  • Options

<< <i>Added the scan of the Maywood Quart label on this page. >>

Sweet!
  • Options
    1992 Foster's Sporting Greats
    Size: 3x1.75" (approx)
    Manufacturer: Foster's Lager
    Distribution: Beer
    Ran across this UK issue while looking for some new Seves. 30 card set w/6 each from the following sports: tennis, golf, soccer, rugby, and cricket. The golfers are #s 19-25. Other golfers not pictured are: Laura Davies, Greg Norman, and perhaps Bernhard Langer (not positive on the 6th). I'm guessing these were originally in a foil pack due to the crimping at the top of the Seve. I have about 80 more of these on the way from another UK seller, so should have a more complete checklist in the near future and hope to get PSA to grade them. Some sellers have a 1994 date on these and others early 90s, but 1992 seems to be the consensus pick and I haven't found anything on the backs mentioning a later date in the statistical accomplishments.
  • Options
    love the fosters cards! have any of the coasters yet?
  • Options
    Not yet, I may try those next, but I think the Davies is the only golfer I've seen from that set so far. If there's a Seve, I'll have to pick it up. They're probably going to be oversized though, hopefully they would fit in a tallboy and not have to be in one of the monster slabs.
  • Options
    Ballesteros. Australian for beer.
  • Options
    NOTE: Until further notice, I will not be updating the checklist in the first post until the post-forum upgrade formatting issues get worked out. Too many HTML tags would need to be inserted manually at each update and it's difficult enough getting these individual posts formatted correctly. I plan to catch it up once the forum issues are fixed.

1936 Ardath Tobacco Photocards

Size: 2x3" (approx)

Manufacturer: Ardath Tobacco

Distribution: Ardath Kings

#204 on top, #s 149 & 151 below. #150 (Cotton) is at PSA right now, I'll add a scan for it at some point.

• Options
    1937 Mitchell & Son Wonderful Century

Size: Tobacco

#36 is the only golf related card from this set. These are tough to find in high grade since the back is adhesive, likely meant to be stuck into an album.

• Options
    1936 Mitchell & Son Gallery of 1935

Size: Tobacco

#s 32-34 are the golfers, 33 & 34 shown.

• Options
    1925-1931 W590 Hand Cut

Size: slightly shorter than Tobacco

Manufacturer: ?

Distribution: ?

No numbers, there's at least a Bobby Jones and possibly Sarazen and Hagen as well.

• Options
    1987 A Question of Sport UK

Size: 2.25x3.4375" (approx)

Manufacturer: BBC?

Distribution: Game

No numbers, player names on back of card. In addition to the Seve and Nicklaus cards shown, here's a list of other golfers I have, but there may be others: Roger Davis, Faldo x2, Peter Jacobsen, Mark James x2, Kite, Langer x2, Lyle x2, Norman x2, Sam Torrance, Wadkins, & Watson. I thought I had read that PSA didn't grade these, but found them in the Pop report. Many sellers have a 1986 date on these.

• Options
    I love this thread!
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭
    more of a scorecard as opposed to a trading card, however Sandy Koufax maintains a summer home nearby where I live & often plays at the Saucon Valley Country Club where a business associate of mine is a member. Approx. 5-6 years ago, he played golf with Sandy and after the round had Mr. Koufax sign a scorecard for me:

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Ironmanfan
    more of a scorecard as opposed to a trading card, however Sandy Koufax maintains a summer home nearby where I live & often plays at the Saucon Valley Country Club where a business associate of mine is a member. Approx. 5-6 years ago, he played golf with Sandy and after the round had Mr. Koufax sign a scorecard for me:
    IMF

That's awesome! So what does Sandy shoot?