Home Precious Metals
Options

Is it just me or is APMEX way high on some gold recently?

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was browsing ebay and APMEX's own site and the 2 and 2.5 pesos are extremely overpriced
APMEX own site 2.5 pesos $99 ??????

APMEX ebay $104 same coin in the bullion category

same coin provident $86

It used to be that there was only a few dollars difference between APMEX and provident on these

Point being , APMEX appears to be trying to enforce a higher premium on these fractional coins than I've ever seen before.

Their prices on 5 peso and 20 franc coins are generally in line with what they always charged.

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was browsing ebay and APMEX's own site and the 2 and 2.5 pesos are extremely overpriced
    APMEX own site 2.5 pesos $99 ??????

APMEX ebay $104 same coin in the bullion category

same coin provident $86

It used to be that there was only a few dollars difference between APMEX and provident on these

Point being , APMEX appears to be trying to enforce a higher premium on these fractional coins than I've ever seen before.

Their prices on 5 peso and 20 franc coins are generally in line with what they always charged. >>

Normally, demand dictates the premium....I don't collect those coins, so I don't know.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    APMEX appears to be trying to enforce a higher premium on these fractional coins than I've ever seen before.

enforce? interesting word. They're offered for sale. Folks will decide, in the specific cases and in the aggregate, whether to pass or play.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>APMEX appears to be trying to enforce a higher premium on these fractional coins than I've ever seen before.

enforce? interesting word. They're offered for sale. Folks will decide, in the specific cases and in the aggregate, whether to pass or play. >>

The 2 and 2.5 peso gold have not been selling at a premium they are one of my favorite fractionals and I'm just surprised . I don't usually buy them from APMEX though so I was wondering if it was a new thing they are doing.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps they anticipate a rise in demand..... small gold fluidity?.... Many possibilities...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to shop for old world/world gold myself. Gotta catch the sales on them at the online dealers and shop around, seems to change week to week or every few weeks if things aren't moving.
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>

<< <i>APMEX appears to be trying to enforce a higher premium on these fractional coins than I've ever seen before.

enforce? interesting word. They're offered for sale. Folks will decide, in the specific cases and in the aggregate, whether to pass or play. >>

The 2 and 2.5 peso gold have not been selling at a premium they are one of my favorite fractionals and I'm just surprised . I don't usually buy them from APMEX though so I was wondering if it was a new thing they are doing. >>

I have noticed that the 2 Peso are now harder to find. That may be the reason why Apmex is pricing them higher than usual.

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009