Home Precious Metals
Options

Paypal being "deceptive"

13»

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interpretation of the agreement is not necessary, it is clear in what it states. Per the agreement, making personal payments as payment for merchandise is in violation of the agreement.

Spin it any way you wish, but violating the agreement to save paying a fee is deceitful and by most definitions just plain dishonest. You can argue this forever, but as long as the agreement says what it says you are only fooling yourself.

Not so, stop spreading lies because of a personal opinion. Express your opinion, but don't misstate what is fact. >>

Spin it any way you wish, but violating the agreement to save paying a fee is deceitful and by most definitions just plain dishonest. You can argue this forever, but as long as the agreement says what it says you are only fooling yourself.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    and you will be wrong forever. Not the first time.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and you will be wrong forever. Not the first time. >>

Consistency is overrated

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is just the future people get used to it. Moving electronic money from point A to point B , the cost of which is essentially zero.

Cash balance to cash balance within a controlled sandbox is free as the air you breathe . Free of labor and free of risk , paypal can't stop it because people will go elsewhere if they try.

They would prefer to get 2.9% obviously but they are being smart. If they try to grasp that straw too long they will be cast aside .

• Options
    My son (PoM Jr.) argues that doing 79 MPH on the interstate is not against the law because the cops aren't pulling anyone going less than 10 MPH over the posted speed limit of 70 MPH. The knucklehead won't listen to reason. A ticket will eventually convince him, especially if his speedometer is off by a mile or two.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay Pal merely extended credit to people who wanted to be "Billed Later". And off topic from the PPG discussion, that's not really deceptive.
  • Options
    bronco, once again, you nailed it. I think I'm going to start calling you the voice of reason. image

and you will be wrong forever. Not the first time

You are 100% right, not the first and wont be the last, but at least I can admit it publicly when I am, a character flaw of many here. You on the other hand remind me of a guy I work with who thinks he's right all the time and his way of doing this is always the better way, and sometimes he is right, but when he's not he can't admit it to save his life.

Paypal does not encourage the use of PPG for making purchases because the buyer does not have much protection (which I would argue too because a Bank can stop a check if requested) but it is not violating any rule, policy, agreement or conditon for using them to transfer funds to someone you trust doing so.
    People who use it amongst a trusted trading partner are just smart. If Paypal is letting you do it you're a fool not to take advantage of it, again, if you trust the person you're sending the funds to. You're a fool, or a very trusting person if you do send a large amount to someone who may be new to you or you new to them. It works both ways.

I have said all along, and offer it when selling, that if you feel that you need to have the Paypal/CC protection you should use that rather than PPG but you will be paying that fee, not me. I don't need the cash that badly in selling anything I own, let alone precious metals I own.
  • Options
    Pay Pal merely extended credit to people who wanted to be "Billed Later". And off topic from the PPG discussion, that's not really deceptive

Not true. they enrolled them into the program without making them aware of it. That's not entirely true either...without making it plain and clear to the user that they were enrolled and would start being billed. They buried the condition of use rather than making it "in your face obvious" of what was being done, something that must be done in this day and age because everyone is in such a rush to do everything.
    They are being fined for being deceptive. Now define deceptive...this fine they are facing just did and is setting the new standard.
  • Options
    My son (PoM Jr.) argues that doing 79 MPH on the interstate is not against the law because the cops aren't pulling anyone going less than 10 MPH over the posted speed limit of 70 MPH. The knucklehead won't listen to reason. A ticket will eventually convince him, especially if his speedometer is off by a mile or two.

Nice to know there's 2 of us driving you nuts. image
    Seriously, when you can't agree with the majority concencus and see that something is clearly defined, you have to start asking yourself if you're the one who just doesn't get it.
  • Options

<< <i>Seriously, when you can't agree with the majority concencus and see that something is clearly defined, you have to start asking yourself if you're the one who just doesn't get it. >>

You should probably turn to your dictionary with "clearly defined."

Public opinion does not make the rules. If it did we'd be allowed to drive 95 MPH on the interstate and we wouldn't pay taxes.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
  • Options
    and that justifies dishonesty? For the low price of 2.9% I'll keep my honor intact and have some protection.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once in awhile a little fatherly tough love is in the best interest of your son or daughter. It doesn't mean that you despise the person. As my dad used to say, son this doesn't mean I dislike you it means I dislike what. You just did.

On that note,
    If a person is constantly complaining about minute items, is perceived as being too hard headed and argumentative about just about everything, is using false and misleading analogies to make their case because they find it necessary to win the argument at any cost....I ask you would you want to do business with person keeping in mind IF there was a disagreement you would have to deal with this mindset? Me? Ha! I'd think about unholsering the m1911 and using it on myself so as to not getting my blood pressure elevated.

And then you look a little further and find this person has changed their name on eBay maybe.....10 times...!!!...over the course of their tenure there while disparaging the venue in which they sell....well...

Of course this is just hypothetical..just tossing it out there for your contemplation. Not directed at anyone because we know no one here is like this.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Paypal knows you're using PPG and wont do anything because they want to keep your business for the times they will get their cut. >>

Reminds me of those country fruit stands by the side of the road where you pay by the honor system. You know, take your fruit and leave the money in the jar. I'm sure the farmer knows that most people will pay but others will not so he factors it into the cost of doing business. He justifies it by not manning the stand (expense) on the hopes for the times he will get his cut.

POM, take your low hanging fruit and keep on telling yourself it's fine.........Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Once in awhile a little fatherly tough love is in the best interest of your son or daughter. It doesn't mean that you despise the person. As my dad used to say, son this doesn't mean I dislike you it means I dislike what. You just did.

On that note,
    If a person is constantly complaining about minute items, is perceived as being too hard headed and argumentative about just about everything, is using false and misleading analogies to make their case because they find it necessary to win the argument at any cost....I ask you would you want to do business with person keeping in mind IF there was a disagreement you would have to deal with this mindset? Me? Ha! I'd think about unholsering the m1911 and using it on myself so as to not getting my blood pressure elevated.

And then you look a little further and find this person has changed their name on eBay maybe.....10 times...!!!...over the course of their tenure there while disparaging the venue in which they sell....well...

Of course this is just hypothetical..just tossing it out there for your contemplation. Not directed at anyone because we know no one here is like this. >>

Well, I started off with TwoSides2aCoin on ebay… Then I bought a shop called A Coin Shop. Then I got attacked for promoting the hobby. Then I got called a spammer for saying, "Hey , I bought a shop. Now my name's the same " Joseph Pflug". But in the 90's while being a good Samaritan, a man named _________ ________ _________ stole my birth certificate…

This is not a hypothetical. Yet, in light of that, I have , on many occasions said, "EBAY SUCKS". They suck a lot of my "would be profits" out of the wares I pay a fair price for. Now , if it weren't bad enough, THE USPS has raised rates on shipping, once again…. but don't get me wrong, brother… I aint' complaining. The cost of doing business is a cost we all bear. ESPECIALLY JOE CONSUMER…and we all consume something.

I've realized over the years that most things I buy and nearly every thing I eat turns to _ _ _ _. So I just enjoy. No matter the verbiage, to MANKIND it's just foliage.

Food for thought processed in. Trash for processing out.

We are what we eat , and we do what we do. Some say , but never do. Some do and never say. Some do and always say. Some never say and some never do. Some just look. Some never look. We all in the same place, and we all came from the same production company. And in the end, it's dust in the wind. For now ? Life goes on this side of the lawn.
  • Options
    If a person is constantly complaining about minute items, is perceived as being too hard headed and argumentative about just about everything, is using false and misleading analogies to make their case because they find it necessary to win the argument at any cost....I ask you would you want to do business with person keeping in mind IF there was a disagreement you would have to deal with this mindset?

Oh, do you mean those people who've been selling on a site for 10.5 years that have 100% postive feedback with over 1700 feedback score between 2 active selling accounts that only have had 1 blemish from a deranged, vindictive, raging, lunatic who didn't even make sense when he tried (tried is the operative word) to send a message? In 10.5 years, 1 bad mark from a nutcase?
    And that same person has been here for 6 years and done 1000+ transactions here without so much as a single unsatisfied customer, delivered everytime promptly and communicated even after the buyer received the item to follow up and make sure all was good?

yeah those people are small timers but yeah, they SUCK! image

And then you look a little further and find this person has changed their name on eBay maybe.....10 times...!!!...

Didn't realize this was the remotest of issues for anyone when all you have to do is click on ID history and everything is divulged, nothing hidden in the slighest. Some people just like to change it up once in awhile and there was no other reason why.

over the course of their tenure there while disparaging the venue in which they sell....well...

You're damn right, that place sucks from the way it use to be and I am speaking directly about the gross, blatant greed of mgt. signing off on rasing fees and the disallowing of sellers being able to leave negative fb when it is truly deserved.

I honestly don't know why I replied to these asinine "hypothetical" accusations, but I felt it was a chance to lay truth to what is so obviously misperceived.
  • Options

<< <i>serious question...what are the alternatives to paypal....esp using ebay? competition is good..thanks >>

Bitcoin - and PayPal has already seen this as competition and that is why they are now "embracing" it. The roll out maybe slow but it is coming.

Provident Metals + Bitcoin = Lower Prices Compared To PayPal.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>serious question...what are the alternatives to paypal....esp using ebay? competition is good..thanks >>

Bitcoin - and PayPal has already seen this as competition and that is why they are now "embracing" it. The roll out maybe slow but it is coming.

Provident Metals + Bitcoin = Lower Prices Compared To PayPal. >>

One alternative to PayPal, particularly with ebay is the credit card, a money order, a check, or cash in the mail if one isn't afraid of sending "cash" in the mail, which I believe to be unlawful, so I don't recommend that. For Americans who still barter; horses, cows, goats and chickens don't pack up too quietly, but do trade nice, as do eggs and long guns or other services.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Provident Metals + Bitcoin = Lower Prices Compared To PayPal. >>

One alternative to PayPal, particularly with ebay is the credit card, a money order, a check, or cash in the mail if one isn't afraid of sending "cash" in the mail, which I believe to be unlawful, so I don't recommend that. For Americans who still barter; horses, cows, goats and chickens don't pack up too quietly, but do trade nice, as do eggs and long guns or other services. >>

The average or casual seller on eBay likely isn't set up to process a CC transaction unless they have the dreaded PP. Or maybe these days there's an app that let's one use a CC directly.
    Why is mailing cash unlawful? Simply use registered mail. Of course it needs to be an amount worth the cost and at sell time it's a cost that should be recovered.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    2sides,

Goats don't count.

For eBay,
    You have to offer an electronic form of payment. PP is the best out there. I pay 1+% for it and I do remember the days of waiting for the mail. No one in their right mind on a $50 purchase is going to get a USPS MO.

I can do 20 x $50 deals as effectively as I did one $50 deal 15 years ago.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    I've watched a lot of my friends do quite well on eBay as a side business. $10,000-30,000/ month. Wife helps if the kids are gone and most of these people have gone SubChapter S.

You'd be amazed how much that corporation spends.......ahem.....on itself and is deductible...ahem.

Beyond me why Mr. Big time doesn't open up a Merchant Acct. with PP and just embrace the 1099 suck but plan for it. But then he couldn't betch about that killer 2.9.

Zero overhead business? Much.
    Dont quit your day job.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is an early contender for TOTY. Keep it going guys!!
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Since PP sucks and steals from everyone, I've been waiting for POM to open his magic company that is so much better and has lower prices. Sign me up first, when does it open, how much you going to save me?
    PCGS
  • Options
    PCGS
  • Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My son (PoM Jr.) argues that doing 79 MPH on the interstate is not against the law because the cops aren't pulling anyone going less than 10 MPH over the posted speed limit of 70 MPH. The knucklehead won't listen to reason. A ticket will eventually convince him, especially if his speedometer is off by a mile or two. >>

Derry the kid may be correct. States allow 10 over UNLESS it is an absolute posted speed state. Google it. 7 out of 10 states I would say require 10 over to make a stop. PA is one and I am posotive about that. Read the motor vehicle code for the state you reside.
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    Since PP sucks and steals from everyone, I've been waiting for POM to open his magic company that is so much better and has lower prices. Sign me up first, when does it open, how much you going to save me?

No need, it already exists. Just stop gouging sellers on fees an siding with buyers on disputes 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time.
  • Options
    Dear Streeter,

Bah

Signed,
    the management. image
  • Options
    My son (PoM Jr.) argues that doing 79 MPH on the interstate is not against the law because the cops aren't pulling anyone going less than 10 MPH over the posted speed limit of 70 MPH. The knucklehead won't listen to reason. A ticket will eventually convince him, especially if his speedometer is off by a mile or two. >>

Derry the kid may be correct. States allow 10 over UNLESS it is an absolute posted speed state. Google it. 7 out of 10 states I would say require 10 over to make a stop. PA is one and I am posotive about that. Read the motor vehicle code for the state you reside

Doesn't matter because accroding to derryb law you're violating a moral code and some agreement you have as a law biding license holder to never, ever go above the posted speed limit. image Sorry, I couldn't resist. This is only a light heated joke derryb, please don't get all bent out of shape over it.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    I actually think "accroding" is banned in all states...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I actually think "accroding" is banned in all states... >>

It's pronounced "dacroded" It's a Napoleon Dynamite specific word , like "boddagit" image