Home Precious Metals
Options

Would you pay $20 for a 1/4 oz silver bullion coin?

OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bugs Bunny .. mintage of 350,00

RCM Bugs Bunny $20 coin

I'm not familiar with this series. Has it been successful?
"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, I'm not a collector. I'm a long term stacker looking for the lowest current price on quality silver products, preferably ASEs.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nope, I'm not a collector. I'm a long term stacker looking for the lowest current price on quality silver products, preferably ASEs. >>

I do not consider myself a so called "stacker," but some one who is always seeking and looking for a profitable potential investment option. ASE's & 90% US Silver coins are my #1 silver choices, but will not pass up popular bullion coins or bars selling close or at spot.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these do fairly well as far as selling out. Re-sales though aren't the best from what I've gathered over on the kitco boards.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The RCM is one small step above Liberia when it comes to random nonsense coins. Don't waste money on oddball RCM collectible bullion . It's all destined for the melt bucket.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only @ melt

High mintages!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    It's a recent (2011ish) gimmick by the RCM. Selling $20 face value coins (containing 1/4 oz of silver) for $20. They do very well on the seigniorage. They are legal tender, but there have been many reports of them being very difficult to actually cash in. Businesses won't take them because they don't look like standard currency or coins. Banks don't like to take them because it's a lot of extra labour on their end, for no profit.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    yes but I have paid 5 bucks for coffee at starbucks.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one is not just buying the silver metal, one is also buying the shape of the metal, in this case, a beloved cartoon character.

Cute, but as with so much novelty bullion, no place in my collection for such an item. Even right at melt, I'm a pass on stuff like this.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would buy alot more silver coins at premiums IF all the Mints could get the spotting problem under control.

It is very frustrating to have coins both slabbed and raw that spot within months (or sooner) of striking them.

This didn't use to happen,,,,, you think someone could figure out the problem and fix it.

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would buy alot more silver coins at premiums IF all the Mints could get the spotting problem under control.

It is very frustrating to have coins both slabbed and raw that spot within months (or sooner) of striking them.

This didn't use to happen,,,,, you think someone could figure out the problem and fix it.

GrandAm [edited to remove the annoying moving graphic; one is plenty >>

Do the non-slabbed coins in the original government packaging develop spots, or is it just the ones that get slabbed?

Either way, it sounds like some of the coin-handling operations ought to be done in clean rooms (or at least cleaner ones) with the air under control and the humans wearing masks and gloves

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no way.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Do the non-slabbed coins in the original government packaging develop spots, or is it just the ones that get slabbed?

Either way, it sounds like some of the coin-handling operations ought to be done in clean rooms (or at least cleaner ones) with the air under control and the humans wearing masks and gloves >>

I got a fresh roll of maples a couple years ago from a fresh monster, spots everywhere. Junk silver to me but I still have them.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Either way, it sounds like some of the coin-handling operations ought to be done in clean rooms (or at least cleaner ones) with the air under control and the humans wearing masks and gloves >>

I think the RCM does it in what they call the sneeze room
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope !!! :-(
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    If I want something, then I would pay $20 for a 1/4 oz.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will stick with ASE's..... certainly overpriced... Cheers, RickO