Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

May Pick-Up's....Let's see what you got!!!!

Let's keep this thread going. Added two more T206's today. Finally hit card #100 with a favorite of mine, Buck Herzog. Also arriving was Mr. Tannehill to put me at 101. Need two more cards to hit 20% of the set.

Mark
Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickups. They show very nice for the grade! Congrats.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark, thanks for starting this month's thread again. I love watching your progress on your T206 set. Congrats on getting to 20% When I see your posts, I think someday maybe I will tackle the monster. It will probably have to wait until I grow up though, or at least until my budget grows upimage

Anyway, I finally got to my work mailbox today. I had three packages waiting for me. First, a nice lot of Larry Bird PSA 9 cards: 3 RC's (not the RC, but I am working on that one too, hopefully soon) and his 1986 Fleer PSA 9, all courtesy of CU member scooter729 (thanks Scott!). The 1986 Fleer PSA 9 goes into my registry set and gets me another star card closer to completion. Still a long way to go though. Next up, a new trio of Andrew Luck PSA 10 RC's. These are all cards I didn't have in my collection yet. I will update these cards into my Luck thread soon. Of course, no recent thread of mine would be complete without some Anthony Davis cards. I am happy to get this pair of Davis cards, they are from the Panini Signature series and both are numbered to 25. I actually picked up a third one of these this weekend so I am fired up. I will probably be sending all three in the May special so hopefully I will post a scan of one or more in a 10 holder in a few months!
    Steve
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Lots of awesome stuff here guys!
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark as always great thread. I hope to see you in Chi-town for the Nat!!

I haven't really posted in a while besides the BST boards. I would like to share my latest pickups. I have always wanted a Clemente auto in my collection and the price was right on this piece. What's nice about this auto piece, it also has another Pirate Hall of Famer on it Pie Traynor. The person I bought it from has owned this since 1964, that's special in it's self.

imageimage

Andrew McCutchen's 1000 hit ticket.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Picked this up today from fellow CU member "GoldLabels" image

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    I'm enjoying all the Larry love!
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    And now for something completely different

• Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Steve - Take the T206 plunge brother. You won't regret it. Also, love the Birds.
    Bobby - You don't get much better than a Clemente Auto......great pick up.
    Eric - Great Magic/Bird rookie.....can't ever go wrong with one of those.
    PMKAY - Hello Precious!!!!!!

Keep em coming.

Mark

Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Guys, I like the great diversity here. I really like the Clemente piece and the Larry Legends. I grew up just a hop, skip, and a jump from Bird's hometown (French Lick, Indiana).
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Mark.

I agree with John - some nice diversity and interesting items - I like that! image
    Mike
  • Options
    Let's get this pack to the top of the 1st page.

Show us some more of your May purchases.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Received this in the mail today. My first Lionel Carter card. For those who don't know who he is, here's a nice article about him and his importance in the hobby.

Lionel Carter

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    I finally located a Tony Perez item that was listed on the checklists but I had never seen before and had never been graded by PSA before. The item arrived from PSA today. It is a coin from 1972 handed out by Esso Oil in Puerto Rico. The coins are made out of aluminum and there are 13 players on the checklist, including Clemente, Carew, Cepeda and two varities of Tony Perez. A Tany Perez version and a Tony Perez version. A person receiving a Perez coin was able to exchange it for a full tank of gas so that apparently has reduced number of Perez coins circulating. I have seen several "Tany" versions but had never seen a "Tony" until last month. A seller in India of all places had it listed and I grabbed it. The coin has seen better days but happy to have it in a slab. Here is the new addition

I have included the Tany variety just for comparison

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    The Perez coins are superb! I love learning about issues I never knew existed.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great stuff!!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mark as always great thread. I hope to see you in Chi-town for the Nat!!

I haven't really posted in a while besides the BST boards. I would like to share my latest pickups. I have always wanted a Clemente auto in my collection and the price was right on this piece. What's nice about this auto piece, it also has another Pirate Hall of Famer on it Pie Traynor. The person I bought it from has owned this since 1964, that's special in it's self.

imageimage

Andrew McCutchen's 1000 hit ticket.
    image >>

Nice pick up on the Clemente auto…I've always wanted one as well, but it has alluded me for the right price.
  • Options

<< <i>Received this in the mail today. My first Lionel Carter card. For those who don't know who he is, here's a nice article about him and his importance in the hobby.

Lionel Carter

image >>

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice pick up.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Thank you! image
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    Not as exciting as the other stuff here, but this Yount arrived today, and it completes my 2013 Archives gold parallel set. Archives was the first set I collected when I got back into it a couple of years ago, and finishing the golds has been a goal of mine since. 200 cards with a print run of 199 each was a challenge, and I'm pretty excited to have completed it.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    Nice hobby accomplishment, gator! If you have a picture of 'em all laid out or a collage of the set, please feel free to post it or start a new thread about the journey, the cards, etc.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Graygator. That must be a great looking set,
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's my first pick up of the month to hit the mailbox. I love these type cards. PSA 3 (MK) and I knew the mark wasn't on the front but there was no back scan. I took a chance on what the back would look like and picked it up for my 500 home run club collection. I was very pleased when I got it in hand today.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    Awesome Ott, congrats!
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow the month is off to a sick start over here. Clemente Autos. That D304 Young is a gorgeous piece. Never saw those 1985 golds before; one of my favorite sets ever due to the nostalgia factor. T206s. Goudey Ott. Damn!

Found my dream 55 Aarons late last month but they just got in hand today. 78 Reggie is such a pretty card. The Torre RC is also a favorite with the rookie cup, and finally found one centered. And I am rarely an auto guy, but the provenance behind the Ted just blew me away so struck a deal for it. The pic shows him signing that very card back in 1982.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice hobby accomplishment, gator! If you have a picture of 'em all laid out or a collage of the set, please feel free to post it or start a new thread about the journey, the cards, etc. >>

Thanks! I haven't taken any pictures yet but maybe I'll try to start a thread in the next couple of weeks with the story of this set and how it drew me back in and include some pics.

Man, some sweet stuff posted. Love that Williams auto with the picture. Really cool piece to have.
  • Options
    That '55 Aaron is a beaut! Nice pick up.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of 1978 Cellos

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Torre RC is also a favorite with the rookie cup, and finally found one centered.

image >>

One of my favorite "Cool Looking" cards. The catchers pose with the backwards hat and the large old-style Topps rookie trophy is classic.

Nice pick-up!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some incredible stuff guys!

I've never seen those Esso coins. Very nice.
    Mike
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Love that Aaron! Reminds me of mine image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    After a few months of ripping modern, I went back to the vintage well....and raw. It was the nicest one in my price range that was available, and will be on it's way to Newport on arrival.

I really like the color on this card and it's my favorite card in the set. The Reese is super cool too, and of course the Mantle that looks just like the 51B, and I've considered doing the set...but for now, just really stoked to add this card.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    I just got these today, here are the nicer ones of a partial set of 55. I had never owned a doubleheader before these, nice looking cards.

Here's an article about the set, first time read for me.

Matt

• Options
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what set is the Teddy from?
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got these today, here are the nicer ones of a partial set of 55. I had never owned a doubleheader before these, nice looking cards.

Here's an article about the set, first time read for me.

image >>

Great looking cards Matt!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Love the double headers Matt. One of my favorite sets of all time.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Actually bought the card in April, but it was signed and mailed back in May, so it's a hybrid:

• Options

<< <i>Actually bought the card in April, but it was signed and mailed back in May, so it's a hybrid:

image >>

Forget the auto, that is one sharp card in general. Nice pick-up.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Long story short, I acquired this card a few months ago, parted ways with it, suffered from night sweats for about two months solid, and was fortunate enough to reacquire it a few days ago. Hopefully, I learned my lesson.

The snow on the black part of his jersey doesn't actually reside there -- 'tis my crap scan. Outside of the name, position, team, and team logo strip cutting off a touch short on the right side (and jacking with my OCD), I've stared incessantly and am at a loss. Who knows, maybe I'll get really drunk one night and crack & resub this pup.

Great material, compadres!

• Options
    Awesome Clemente Stephen. That is one hard 60 Topps to find centered. Especially L to R.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice 1960 Clemente. A keeper for sure!!! The eye appeal of that card would be hard to beat even with an 8 or 9.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry for my ignorance, but what set is the Teddy from? >>

52 Berk Ross...I only became acquainted with it when SMR did a feature a little over a year ago.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galaxy-- that card is just gorgeous. Looks every bit like a 9. Congrats.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    And now for something completely different...

First graded basketball card I've ever bought. My favorite player growing up in the basketball hey day of the 80's.

and just to round it out his first SLU as well

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Crazy good cards people! Love the DH's, the Williams and Cepeda signed cards are stunning. Cepeda card is hard to find centered. Good get. Pigs
  • Options
    Hey, I've got that McHale SLU. Got the Bird and Parrish from the same year as well. They're all hanging out on my office shelf.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just arrived in the mail. Pretty tough '71 card of Brooks Robinson. It looks much nicer and blacker in hand.

Daniel
  • Options
    Great card Daniel. Definitely looks nicer than a 7.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, fellas! Phenomenal acquisitions abound -- I think I've scrolled through this sucker 3 or 4 times already.
  • Options
    CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭
    Great Cards guys. That 60 clemente is amazing. My newest Aaron upgrade.