Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bought this in Germany... [UPDATED PICS 6.24 Grade Revealed]

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
Graded EF45

....from these pictures... how will it turn out? Grade (if at all)? Should have the coin in hand to image in a week of so.

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Hard to tell with those pics, could be anywhere from really nice to cleaned and retoned. Be sure to post photos in six months when you get it in hand. image

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Hard to tell with those pics, could be anywhere from really nice to cleaned and retoned. Be sure to post photos in six months when you get it in hand. image

-Paul >>

Germans are efficient. Italians, not so much. Figured it is really an all or nothing coin with those pics. Really nice, or complete crap.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am reasonably optimistic for you here. Looks like the coin has some nice toning, but maybe the photos were overexposed or just a bit too "hot", somehow?

I have a hunch this one will be slightly darker (but nicer) in hand.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    National stereotypes aside, I just got a newp from Germany yesterday, and the turnaround was quite reasonable. I've had domestic packages take longer. My last three newps have been from Germany, as a matter of fact, and so far so good.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    The results will be unpredictable, yet interesting
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the flip side, I shipped something from Virginia, to the KY eBay global shipping center (see what I did there????), and onto Germany. From shipping to me getting feedback was 8 days. Somebody was efficient. Including eBay.

As for the coin, I agree, I will be cautiously optimistic on your behalf. That seems like it would look cool in my (or someone else's) 7070 image.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xf coin, hard to say about the surfaces from that pic.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    Italians not so much ? what nationality are you ?
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much like the pictures of the $5 gold you bought from italy, the photos are badly overexposed and no real judgement can be made. If the coin turns out to be original you will be a winner.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Italians not so much ? what nationality are you ? >>

There was a recent delivery of a coin from Italy, about 6 months after it was won/purchased IIRC. Something about an almost never-ending pursuit of an export license. The Italian post is not known for being super efficient either. So, not an indictment of Italians, just the postal and export delays noted.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    doesn't look wiped.

can't tell about dipped and recolored.

it does have an NT look to it, though.

I wish I could grade Barber material.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    At least the thumb print comes preinstalled. image

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any lustre with those pics.

Looks nice overall, 64-65?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45 if no problems.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say if the coin looks like I suspect it will grade VF35. Intense lighting could hide darker toning or issues such as cleaning.

My only experience with Italians on Barber Half's was a Buy it Now listed as a VF at VF money which later graded AU53! image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm optimistic. Photos are overexposed with poor contrast.

The prints are innocuous and don't bother me. The toning might be very nice. It could be a winner. Fingers crossed!
    Lance.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it will be nice.....just a bad pic. XF45 to AU50 is my guess.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    If I were buying that coin based solely on those photos, I would expect some sort of AU grade when the coin showed up. Probably 50, maybe 53 depending on the remaining luster and in-hand eye-appeal.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having a hard time deciding if it's a really soft strike MS/AU coin or just an outright attractive XF coin.

Either way, I think it will grade no problem and is an attractive coin.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Looks AU50 to me, but hard to tell from that photo. Nice piece.
  • Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it could be a really pretty coin...hope it turns out well for you. I'll be anxious to see your pics of it. Hard to grade from the pics, but if I had to guess I'd say VF35 to XF40...probably 40 if I had to pick one.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF or so. Not sure if it was a good deal since I don't know what you paid. Buying raw coins via photos will eventually catch up and whack you, but so will a lot of other things.
  • Options

<< <i>XF or so. Not sure if it was a good deal since I don't know what you paid. Buying raw coins via photos will eventually catch up and whack you, but so will a lot of other things. >>

I paid €180. If I lose it all, oh well. If it is a glorious EF/AU, I double up or more. Bottom line I like taking risks and find that I win in most things more than I lose.

In the context of the current American numismatic marketplace, I agree, raw coins from bad pics is not a winning strategy. In Europe, nearly everything is raw so the strategy has to be different. I have made five purchases so far in this manner. Each have been outstanding buys save for one where I still broke even. None were complete shots in the dark and each had a logical risk/reward.

• Options

I do enough business in Germany and Italy to understand that there is a reality to German/Swiss efficiency and Italian bureaucracy. I'm Polish/Hungarian by the way, fire away.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'm Polish/Hungarian by the way, fire away. >>

...I'm about fire away in my kitchen...thanks...now you got me Hungary for a Polish dog image
  • Options

<< <i>In Europe, nearly everything is raw so the strategy has to be different. >>

Where the half sold for $7800, I would like to send them a box of raw stuff on consignment. I would probably crack some out also! image
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Au50 area. I don't see it being more than 55 or less than 45.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the photographs - XF.....the reverse brings it down... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Looks AU to me
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>XF or so. Not sure if it was a good deal since I don't know what you paid. Buying raw coins via photos will eventually catch up and whack you, but so will a lot of other things. >>

I paid €180. If I lose it all, oh well. If it is a glorious EF/AU, I double up or more. Bottom line I like taking risks and find that I win in most things more than I lose.

In the context of the current American numismatic marketplace, I agree, raw coins from bad pics is not a winning strategy. In Europe, nearly everything is raw so the strategy has to be different. I have made five purchases so far in this manner. Each have been outstanding buys save for one where I still broke even. None were complete shots in the dark and each had a logical risk/reward. >>

So you did not spend anything like EF/AU money, so your potential loss is limited. And you might knock it out of the park! Since you did not mention a return option I assume there is none.

The picture is obviously very juiced - overexposed and/or lighted. I suspect a lot of darkness is being hidden. The reverse seems to show wear, especially on the shield.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that seller (presumably a total stranger to you) created the "best" picture possible for this coin, posted it on some selling site, not ebay, and you bought the coin looking for a possible rip.

I think that coin is 30 - 35 Details. You paid 30 money (roughly $200) I hope for your sake I am wrong, and the AU guessers are right. I tend to assume what I can't see in a picture is not there (glass half empty).

I appreciate the post - very interesting and educational. I know Boosibri will keep the board informed.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to believe all the VF guesses here; if that's what you call VF then I want to buy your VFs.
    We've all seen slabbed pieces with this look that received High AU and MS grades (rightly or wrongly). Based solely on the images I'm calling it AU personally. Assuming it is genuine, that is.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    The reverse, to me, shows rub on the high points. Hard to tell on the obverse because of the toning. Also, my guess would be that the coin was cleaned and now has retoned and not that attractively.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'm seeing XF details, but "LIBERTY" seems weak compared to the rest of the coin. I don't suspect a weak strike here so maybe high VF is also possible. Final answer is between VF35 and XF45. As for whether or not it will grade, based on those photos I have no idea at all. Interesting (& fun) gamble though.
  • Options
    I am hopeful that it arrives this week or next at the latest. Will post pictures regardless.
  • Options
    Coin is in hand... Pics to be posted today.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Great! Can't wait to see it.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    the coin looks like its all there and xf40 would be conservative. I bet it proves to be a great buy.
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    By my count (could be wrong since there were lots of ranges and conditional guesses) here is the forum opinion based on the auction house photos:
    VF 1
    VF Details 1
    EF 5
    EF Details 1
    AU 6
    MS 1
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pics are much better and lead me toward one of my two earlier guesses: I think it's a weakly struck MS coin.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45+ nt?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    after seeing the updated images AU50 and a home run. Nice coin.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks way better in the new images. AU-something, and original.
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, amazing how much better that looks in the new photos... I'll guess AU53. Nice score!
  • Options

I bump my estimate to AU50. The guys guessing MS, time for some glasses!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strong AU 53 in my view. I would add + if PCGS called it AU 50, and would be surprised if it was in the XF range.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific coin- 45 seems worst case

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I'm very happy with the coin and whether EF or AU, the eye appeal is what I bought it hoping for. I'm very pleased!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file