Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grade thoughts on this 1938-D buffalo?

bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
Just picked it up on Ebay, it's a D/D, but in hand it looks nice. Considering sending it in to our hosts. Thoughts?
[URL=http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/rallison7/media/photo 20_zpsoye1reuc.jpg.html]image[/URL]
[URL=http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/rallison7/media/photo 21_zpsxtbkoipi.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want a D/D graded by our hosts, I would simply buy one graded by our hosts. You should be able to get a really nice coin in the $100 range. By the time you factor in grading, variety attribution, shipping and insurance you are close to halfway there in price.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    38-D buffs, and D/D buffs come NICE!!!! In other dates a coin like this would be exceptional, but for this year this example is just OK. The strike could be better and the rims look a little rough. I second what ad4400 said about just buying one already slabbed. Let someone else take the grading gamble. Unless yours comes back as MS67, it isn't worth the cost of submission and grading. I think if you send this one in you'll be disappointed by the result. It is NOT hard to find very nice 38 D/D buffs, even in large quantities.

No offense intended, just how I see it.
  • bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Good advice. I basically paid $1 for it, so I've got some room. And I didn't think this had a variety fee, it's its own PCGS number, right?. I may just add it to a future submission, I had no thought to pay to send it in on its own and pay all those fees on one coin. You get to $55-$60 bucks quick that way.

I'm also looking for anything I'm not seeing, I'm not an expert on Buffaloes. I see a small hit on the jaw and that's about it. The pictures don't do the colors justice.

Thanks for the input.
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice Buffalo. IMO it has a shot at 67.
  • deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    ms64, maybe 65
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good advice. I basically paid $1 for it, so I've got some room. And I didn't think this had a variety fee, it's its own PCGS number, right?. I may just add it to a future submission, I had no thought to pay to send it in on its own and pay all those fees on one coin. You get to $55-$60 bucks quick that way.

I'm also looking for anything I'm not seeing, I'm not an expert on Buffaloes. I see a small hit on the jaw and that's about it. The pictures don't do the colors justice.

Thanks for the input. >>

Yeah, if you just add it to an Economy submission, take a shot! Looks at least 65 if the luster is all there.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah OK, for $1 I think you did great!!!

Economy, maybe, but it's OK to enjoy it raw too. I think you're correct on not needing to pay extra for attribution as the D/D does have its own PCGS number. I find it rather difficult to grade buffs from photos (or even in-hand), but look through CoinFacts at the MS66 and MS67 coins. To me, TPG certification is really only useful at the $100-$200 value, except in cases of uncertain authenticity.

This isn't exactly the same variety, but it will give you a single data point to compare with. Compare strike detail around the hair knot, the horn, the shoulder fur, and in the lettering:

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gut says 64 on this. Hammered center strike but it's a little rough around the edges (literally). I don't see enough luster and the fields aren't clean enough to get this into a 66 (or better). Maybe you'd get lucky with a 65, but I think it's more likely to go 63 than 65. Still a nice coin and would look great in an album.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin has some spots and 1938-D Buffalo Nickels tend to come nice. I would say you are looking at an MS-64 that is not worth getting certified.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with those that say MS-64. The 38-D Buffalos are very common and come very nice. There is no reason to be liberal when grading them. Also, just how many collectors really care about the D/D variety? Is it really just another "one way market" minor variety? Don't waste your money on having it slabbed.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with others that have guessed MS-64. -- Certainly a great pickup for $1!! imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    64. From the image the toning is not flattering.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • GoldCoin98GoldCoin98 Posts: 403 ✭✭
    Im with everybody else MS64

Dozens of BST deals completed, including: kalshacon, cucamongacoin, blu62vette, natetrook, JGNumismatics, Coinshowman, DollarAfterDollar, timbuk3, jimdimmick & many more
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 64 to me. I'd keep it raw or sell it to a dealer to finance the purchase of a graded coin.

Nice pickup for $1 for sure though!
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ms63, ms64 would be a stretch.
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Not worth sending in.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    By the way, I do like the coin. I just wouldn't get it graded.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Nice ms63/64. Don't bother getting it graded. Just use it as an album filler. Dime a dozen. After all costs associated, you would be underwater.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just put it in an airtite.
  • Beautiful toning! I would grade this an MS 65... but I'm also usually alittle conservative. Great find!
    Email me with any questions at jasonmblaydes@gmail.com
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a keeper. I'll guess in the 64 range . Nice pick up image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Buff for an album.
    I agree with those in the 64 camp. More likely even a 63..
    Nice coin though and a great buy at $1!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the input and thoughts. All I was looking for.

The pics posted of the MS67- what a stunner!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file