Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Prices subject to change"

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
due to market fluctuations in bullion or for single non-bullion coinage. Anyone here ever order a single coin/bullion from a mail order and have the price REDUCED due to a downward trend in the market. Or does this just give the mail order dealer an out to "raise" the price due to the ads lead time.
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>due to market fluctuations in bullion or for single non-bullion coinage. Anyone here ever order a single coin/bullion from a mail order and have the price REDUCED due to a downward trend in the market. Or does this just give the mail order dealer an out to "raise" the price due to the ads lead time. >>

I can understand this policy with bullion related items. Call the dealer and lock in the price. The dealer will expect payment fairly soon. Better yet, pay for it by credit card over the phone and have him ship it out to you.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that has never occurred for me.... prices move up... quickly. Any downward movement is either ignored or occurs only after a significant, long term slide in bullion price. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin prices have always been "sticky downward" as they are with many goods. Part of the reason is that the owners either don't want to take a loss, or they might believe that the price decline is temporary.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭✭
    From the wording of your headline and message it sounds like you are referring to printed matter such as Coin World or a Catalog that is pre-printed and would note that "Prices are subject to change". That makes sense for prices that are quoted days or weeks in advance. Not only bullion, but generic U.S. gold coins move up and down with the spot price of gold. If you purchased from a printed ad and sent an order by mail then I guess you are depending upon the honor of the dealer to be fair.

Thank goodness that with the internet you don't have to guess. All of the major precious metal dealers will give quotes on line and their inventory will adjust both up and down with any movement in the gold price. On a down day, you can watch the price of their inventory decline. And of course you can make your purchase and lock in the price in real time.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes prices in printed media are subject to change as the ads are sent in months in advance sometimes. Often the seller will have a statement "Prices subject to change due to market conditions." Basically it means if BV rises they are not going to give away their stuff.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file