Home Precious Metals
Options

Hey everyone look! It's another chance to get your credit card out

and buy some silver eagles and the premium is no cheaper than it was when Spot was $25. Unbelieveable what some think is a deal. Charge away and run up the debt, it's the American way!
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would you be most comfortable with , a consistent dollar premium or a consistent % premium given the choice?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are deals out there, but one must look.... and look beyond the usual sources. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What would you be most comfortable with , a consistent dollar premium or a consistent % premium given the choice? >>

Does the $2 premium ever disappear?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What would you be most comfortable with , a consistent dollar premium or a consistent % premium given the choice? >>

Does the $2 premium ever disappear? >>

It should because beyond the first sale its unwarranted . But if the seller has more say in setting the price than the buyer it doesn't seem to.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It should because beyond the first sale its unwarranted . But if the seller has more say in setting the price than the buyer it doesn't seem to. >>

It you've paid it how can trying to get it back be unwarranted? Why aren't people selling prior year coins for $2 less than the 2015s? Only an idiot would leave money on the table by not trying to get it back. Obviously, there are times when it can be difficult to get a quick sale unless you price it to sell. If spot moves up $2 since you purchased it, you'd be sitting in the driver's seat. If it pulls back $2 you're screwed.

After the AP sells the coins, the premium becomes part of the cost and it isn't singled out as such every time the coin/s trades/trade. When you go to sell, you'd like to get more than you paid, no?
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>and buy some silver eagles and the premium is no cheaper than it was when Spot was $25. Unbelieveable what some think is a deal. Charge away and run up the debt, it's the American way!
    >>

Why are you always assuming that people buy something they cannot afford?
    According to the majority of the comments, people here pay their CC month by month (as I do, btw).

Instead of leaving my money on my checking account, I keep them in form of PM until I need cash.
    I don't mind paying a premium for something that moves as quickly as the Eagles.
    I have bought PM in several different forms, I found that the ASEs are the best for my purpose.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

It should because beyond the first sale its unwarranted . But if the seller has more say in setting the price than the buyer it doesn't seem to. >>

It you've paid it how can trying to get it back be unwarranted? Why aren't people selling prior year coins for $2 less than the 2015s? Only an idiot would leave money on the table by not trying to get it back. Obviously, there are times when it can be difficult to get a quick sale unless you price it to sell. >>

Every ASE is the same so none are worth more than any other. Logically that means the 2$ would apply equally to any year. Pocket pieces , painted ladies, 1996's are all the same as the 2015's. 2$ over or no premium whatever all we know for sure is they weigh 1 troy ounce.

APMEX will charge you 2$ but they won't give you back the 2$ normally because when you want to sell you go to them they don't come asking. To get the 2$ you need to be higher on the food chain than your buyer. Or ...... demand has to be high enough to make the bigger guys willing to reverse the process.

I think it's a waste of time buying ASE's to resell in a down trend. I don't buy them at 2$ over regardless I stick with 90% . How much 90% is still outstanding? They made what 30 million ASE's last year ? thats 42 million dollars face of 90% equivalent

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

It you've paid it how can trying to get it back be unwarranted? Why aren't people selling prior year coins for $2 less than the 2015s? Only an idiot would leave money on the table by not trying to get it back. Obviously, there are times when it can be difficult to get a quick sale unless you price it to sell. >>

Every ASE is the same so none are worth more than any other. Logically that means the 2$ would apply equally to any year. Pocket pieces , painted ladies, 1996's are all the same as the 2015's. 2$ over or no premium whatever all we know for sure is they weigh 1 troy ounce.

APMEX will charge you 2$ but they won't give you back the 2$ normally because when you want to sell you go to them they don't come asking. To get the 2$ you need to be higher on the food chain than your buyer. Or ...... demand has to be high enough to make the bigger guys willing to reverse the process.

I think it's a waste of time buying ASE's to resell in a down trend. I don't buy them at 2$ over regardless I stick with 90% . How much 90% is still outstanding? They made what 30 million ASE's last year ? thats 42 million dollars face of 90% equivalent >>

Well they have taken on a collector's face in addition to the bullion face hence the higher price/s on 1996s and other years. Of course nobody is obligated to give you $2 over current spot if they don't want to. The issue is that dealers can't buy from an AP any cheaper either. Obviously your best chance to get top dollar is to sell to the same customers that dealers do AND/OR buy from the same places too.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I think it's a waste of time buying ASE's to resell in a down trend. I don't buy them at 2$ over regardless I stick with 90% . How much 90% is still outstanding? They made what 30 million ASE's last year ? thats 42 million dollars face of 90% equivalent

90% is, and always has been where it's at. It's a true sweet spot in the metal arena.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    I'm just buying rolls to pad my ebay feedback.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm just buying rolls to pad my ebay feedback. >>

Lol, my buddies buy em to use as a loss to offset stock gains...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>I think it's a waste of time buying ASE's to resell in a down trend. I don't buy them at 2$ over regardless I stick with 90% . How much 90% is still outstanding? They made what 30 million ASE's last year ? thats 42 million dollars face of 90% equivalent

90% is, and always has been where it's at. It's a true sweet spot in the metal arena. >>

It's just as easy to overpay for that as any other kind of silver.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich, I have noticed that ASEs seem to be your achilles heel for some reason. Why do you waste your time and energy at the thought of what people buy and how they pay for it? People stack/collect what they like, and they purchase how ever they see fit. I don't see the lure of a 3 oz poured Engelhard bar, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the value and interest someone has invested in it.
    Stack however you see fit. The right choice will come to fruition once you sell.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think it's a waste of time buying ASE's to resell in a down trend. I don't buy them at 2$ over regardless I stick with 90% . How much 90% is still outstanding? They made what 30 million ASE's last year ? thats 42 million dollars face of 90% equivalent

90% is, and always has been where it's at. It's a true sweet spot in the metal arena. >>

It's just as easy to overpay for that as any other kind of silver. >>

Both cary a similar markup % over over melt. With over 420M alone in 1964 Kennedy halves circulated, my guess, there must be well over 1 Billion "90% junk silver" US coins coins available. I prefer both as a primary source of silver for a "rainy day."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

Dang y don't u pony up for some BU walkers instead of that... whatever it is.....
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Dang y don't u pony up for some BU walkers instead of that... whatever it is..... >>

Already got some. Don't need any more. So what is a fair somewhat standard factor times face that one should pay for circulated 90%? 10x? 12x? 13x? 14x? Obviously the less the better, but is there an accepted standard?
  • Options
    fair is foul and foul is fair...

As the Romans say, all premium is fleeting...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Both cary a similar markup % over over melt

Not from my experience, not one single time. I have always been able to buy 90% at a cheaper premium percentage wise than ASE's. Maybe I've been lucky being close with a number of dealers, and when I buy I buy in volume, not $360 worth at a time.

Rich, I have noticed that ASEs seem to be your achilles heel for some reason. Why do you waste your time and energy at the thought of what people buy and how they pay for it? People stack/collect what they like, and they purchase how ever they see fit. I don't see the lure of a 3 oz poured Engelhard bar, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the value and interest someone has invested in it.

Good point, and point taken. I guess because of the continual built in premium some have mentioned already in this thread. The premium should be to the very first buyer, and them only.
    When I buy 90% for instance, I'm not paying the premium the very first person purchased them for, I'm paying what the market dictates it's worth.
    When you buy an ASE, that premium is always going to be there so whatever you buy the ASE at, you're already in the hole, right off the bat. You're not going to be able to sell it for awhile before even breaking even. If you bought at $2.25 over Spot, you need about a $3 move in Spot to break even. That's not what it's worth because of the built in premium.

That isn't the case with 90%, at least for me it hasn't been. There's been many a time, actually more often than not, than I've been able to buy it just below melt.
    With Spot at $16.01 the "value" is $11.58 x face. I can pick up the phone right now and buy it for right about $12.25, or about a 6% mark up.

Paying $2.25 over for an ASE with Spot at that same $16.01 you'd be paying about a 14% premium. Why do people pay 14% when they can pay 6%? So I might want 3-4% more, that puts it at 10%, so they're still paying 4% too much
    It's simple math. People are being ripped off for what is ultimately SILVER.
  • Options

<< <i>Both cary a similar markup % over over melt

Not from my experience, not one single time. I have always been able to buy 90% at a cheaper premium percentage wise than ASE's. Maybe I've been lucky being close with a number of dealers, and when I buy I buy in volume, not $360 worth at a time.

Good point, and point taken. I guess because of the continual built in premium some have mentioned already in this thread. The premium should be to the very first buyer, and them only.
    When I buy 90% for instance, I'm not paying the premium the very first person purchased them for, I'm paying what the market dictates it's worth.
    When you buy an ASE, that premium is always going to be there so whatever you buy the ASE at, you're already in the hole, right off the bat. You're not going to be able to sell it for awhile before even breaking even. If you bought at $2.25 over Spot, you need about a $3 move in Spot to break even. That's not what it's worth because of the built in premium.

That isn't the case with 90%, at least for me it hasn't been. There's been many a time, actually more often than not, than I've been able to buy it just below melt.
    With Spot at $16.01 the "value" is $11.58 x face. I can pick up the phone right now and buy it for right about $12.25, or about a 6% mark up.

Paying $2.25 over for an ASE with Spot at that same $16.01 you'd be paying about a 14% premium. Why do people pay 14% when they can pay 6%? So I might want 3-4% more, that puts it at 10%, so they're still paying 4% too much
    It's simple math. People are being ripped off for what is ultimately SILVER. >>

When the mint/Fed put those new Walkers into circulation in 1947, they did so at face value. There never was a premium added to them at the git go. They minted them for money because it was needed to conduct commerce. You could exchange a paper dollar for two fifty cent pieces with no mention of a premium added for silver value/content. The silver eagles are a whole nuther animal. Their principal reason for existing is as a means of owning silver, not for use as money. The mint buys silver stock at spot or something close to it. They incur cost from turning a raw silver blank into a finished silver coin. They recover this cost by selling the ASEs for $2 more than they paid for it.

BTW your math is fuzzy and incorrect. If spot is $16.01 and one pays $2.25 over, one's basis is $18.26 so technically one would need only $.25 move in spot [not $3] to break even. An AP will pay spot plus $2 from the mint. He will pass the $2 + juice on to dealer A. Dealer A will add his own juice to his cost from the AP and sell to a customer at a profit. A $3 move in spot would put you at $19.01 plus the $2.25 you paid to the AP or a sell price of $21.26. Assuming you held on to the $16.01 silver long enough for spot to go up. Of course having that $3 move in spot allows you to be a bit more competitive when selling against the big boys. Generally, it's not that hard to sell if you can match or better the Providents, JMBullions, APMEXes, etc. Whether you are selling 90% or ASEs, you want to be selling uphill, that is to the more retail oriented customer/stacker and not downhill which would be to a dealer or back to an AP. At least with ASEs you don't have to worry about someone trying to slip culls, slicks, worn out crap onto you. If I was doing 90%, it would be sealed certified weighed bags, not a few worn out old Walkers here and there, but that's just me. YMMV.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I've sold ASEs I get premiums over melt. Maybe a $1, maybe $2 but I've never sold them for melt because buyers were willing to pay a buck or two over spot.

90%, unless it was BU rolls, has always been different. Average circulated junk 90% sold for 0.715 X spot X face, nearly always.

As always, YMMV.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whenever I've sold ASEs I get premiums over melt. Maybe a $1, maybe $2 but I've never sold them for melt because buyers were willing to pay a buck or two over spot.

90%, unless it was BU rolls, has always been different. Average circulated junk 90% sold for 0.715 X spot X face, nearly always.

As always, YMMV. >>

I don't know who've you been selling your items to, but you've been had. Many of the "big boys" will pay considerably more for your stated items. I'm using APMEX as an example.

APMEX BUY BACK OF 90% based on todays spot
    ASE 2015 buy back price APMEX

they are buying back ASES depending on the date as an example....2015 $1.75 above spot...2014...$1.50 above spot..( depending on the year...from a low of $1.50 above spot to $6+ above)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    That's 10 cents under spot OPA for 90%...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Whenever I've sold ASEs I get premiums over melt. Maybe a $1, maybe $2 but I've never sold them for melt because buyers were willing to pay a buck or two over spot.

As always, YMMV. >>

I don't know who've you been selling your items to, but you've been had. Many of the "big boys" will pay considerably more for your stated items. I'm using APMEX as an example.

APMEX BUY BACK OF 90% based on todays spot
    ASE 2015 buy back price APMEX

they are buying back ASES depending on the date as an example....2015 $1.75 above spot...2014...$1.50 above spot..( depending on the year...from a low of $1.50 above spot to $6+ above) >>

Actually it is $1.65 over and not $1.75 if you do the calculations. That is still $.35 cheaper that they can get them from the Mint and they are an AP.

It says: As low as $2.69 over spot so you look at the 500 or more price which is $18.77. Subtracting 2.69 from 18.77 gives you 16.08 so they must be using their posted ask price as their spot price. Their buy price is 17.73 so they are paying $1.65 over their spot price. They are asking $3.99 over on 2014s. Doesn't mean that they are getting it tho. They must be into them pretty good. Of course the major factor is your cost basis. Of course if one can sucker someone into selling at spot or less, so much the better.
  • Options

<< <i>That's 10 cents under spot OPA for 90%... >>

Silver value of $50 face 36.17 troy ounces at $16.10 spot is $582. They are asking $636 for a $50 bag. That is $54 over silver value or $1.49 per ounce over spot for 90%. Where do you get 10 cents under?

Their buy price is $572 or $15.81 per troy ounce of silver. At $16.10 spot that's $.29 under.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my humble opinion, until the price of silver goes *way* higher and the % premium goes *way* lower, exchange traded funds are the best way to put away a non-emergency silver stash. Low percentage premium, low storage costs, no transportation cost and instant liquidity.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>In my humble opinion, until the price of silver goes *way* higher and the % premium goes *way* lower, exchange traded funds are the best way to put away a non-emergency silver stash. Low percentage premium, low storage costs, no transportation cost and instant liquidity. >>

I think its a good time to stack physical , I do not think its a good time to trade in and out of it unless its going to actually move up. It's not like you can short a monster box or a bag of 90% .

I don't need a million ounces for my plan . Maybe I need 500 a year If I buy a monster box I'm done for 2015 . I don't get the point of churning physical unless you can buy below spot like a B & M can.

If I could consistently do that I probably would own a store though and not stack at all.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>In my humble opinion, until the price of silver goes *way* higher and the % premium goes *way* lower, exchange traded funds are the best way to put away a non-emergency silver stash. Low percentage premium, low storage costs, no transportation cost and instant liquidity. >>

I think its a good time to stack physical , I do not think its a good time to trade in and out of it unless its going to actually move up. It's not like you can short a monster box or a bag of 90% .

I don't need a million ounces for my plan . Maybe I need 500 a year If I buy a monster box I'm done for 2015 . I don't get the point of churning physical unless you can buy below spot like a B & M can.

If I could consistently do that I probably would own a store though and not stack at all. >>

How many B & Ms do you know that can consistently buy all of their ASEs below spot? There have to be a lot of really stupid people selling for that to happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

Silver value of $50 face 36.17 troy ounces at $16.10 spot is $582. They are asking $636 for a $50 bag. That is $54 over silver value or $1.49 per ounce over spot for 90%. Where do you get 10 cents under?

Their buy price is $572 or $15.81 per troy ounce of silver. At $16.10 spot that's $.29 under. >>

omg r u serious??? you dont know how to perform the calculations, its that simple...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

your opinion may or not be humble... but you on right track at least, the key is buying significantly under premium funds that are not etf's...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Silver value of $50 face 36.17 troy ounces at $16.10 spot is $582. They are asking $636 for a $50 bag. That is $54 over silver value or $1.49 per ounce over spot for the silver in the 90%. Where do you get 10 cents under?

Their buy price is $572 or $15.81 per troy ounce of silver. At $16.10 spot that's $.29 under. >>

omg r u serious??? you dont know how to perform the calculations, its that simple... >>

Coinflation says that there are 36.17 ounces of silver in $50 worth of Walkers. At $16.10 spot melt value is $582 . At $572 they are paying less than spot for the silver in the $50 bag of Walkers. The other crap doesn't matter to me, I'm comparing silver to silver.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    let's not forget, old coins are also gross. would a million times rather have a monster box of minty sealed rolls than a bunch of bags of dirty quarters. I'm not a hobo.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many B & Ms do you know that can consistently buy all of their ASEs below spot? There have to be a lot of really stupid people selling for that to happen. >>

All of them around me are a buck under minimum, firm.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How many B & Ms do you know that can consistently buy all of their ASEs below spot? There have to be a lot of really stupid people selling for that to happen. >>

All of them around me are a buck under minimum, firm. >>

More power to them if they can find a steady supply of suckers.

What do they pay for 90%?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

omg r u serious??? you dont know how to perform the calculations, its that simple... >>

In fact I do know how to do the calculations. I chose to use the coinflation based value of .7234 instead of .715, since they don't seem to differentiate between circ and uncirc coins. It would appear that from experience that the industry has determined that circ coins contain a shade less than 99% of the silver that they are supposed to have.

If it was up to me all of that chit would end up in the smelter.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What do they pay for 90%? >>

No clue on 90% but it's back of spot. The ASEs usually come in at a roll or less, those folks aren't shopping around the 30+miles in between shops (not the we buy places, actual shops) for potentially $20.

I wouldn't waste my time or hemi gas for that.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

What do they pay for 90%? >>

No clue on 90% but it's back of spot. The ASEs usually come in at a roll or less, those folks aren't shopping around the 30+miles in between shops (not the we buy places, actual shops) for potentially $20.

I wouldn't waste my time or hemi gas for that. >>

What do they sell ASEs for?
  • Options

<< <i>
    What do they sell ASEs for? >>

I've never paid more than +$2.50.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    What do they sell ASEs for? >>

I've never paid more than +$2.50. >>

Seems like you could make a killing selling them here if you're buying @ $2.50 over from a LCS.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    40,000,000+ SAEs sold a year.
    The verdict is in folks.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i>40,000,000+ SAEs sold a year.
    The verdict is in folks. >>

No shortage of silver, that's for sure.
  • Options
    40,000,000+ SAEs sold a year.
    The verdict is in folks.

No shortage of silver, that's for sure

So if there's no shortage, then why is there a premium at all? Should the equal to the juice on a common Apmex round then, right?
  • Options

The verdict is in folks.

So if there's no shortage, then why is there a premium at all? Should the equal to the juice on a common Apmex round then, right? >>

Because that is what the mint chooses [or may well be mandated by law] to charge for the labor and other costs that they put into these particular products. We all know that Government isn't necessarily an efficient producer of goods and services. We also know that what you and I and others think doesn't mean chit to a tree in their eyes.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grandpappy said, "Don't Should on others, and don't let them Should on you"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

The verdict is in folks.

So if there's no shortage, then why is there a premium at all? Should the equal to the juice on a common Apmex round then, right? >>

Because people are willing to pay it. Yes, it is that simple.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

“A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.”

― St. Anthony the Great

two dollars
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The verdict is in folks.

Because people are willing to pay it. Yes, it is that simple. >>

Bingo. Simple logic should be simple to understand.
    Why is there such large markups for ipads and iphones? People are willing to pay it.
    Why do people pay so much more for starbucks? People are willing to pay it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.”

¯ St. Anthony the Great

That's great, should be my life motto. image

Because people are willing to pay it. Yes, it is that simple.

See above quote. Or even more simply put, "I'm doing it because everyone else is doing it, so that must make it right"
  • Options

The verdict is in folks.

Why does it even matter to you? As you so aptly demonstrate on a regular basis, there are plenty of other silver products [rounds, bars, 90%] for you to stack or flip. Smoe people act like silver/PMs at spot or cost from the Guvmint is a birthright.
  • Options

<< <i>

The verdict is in folks.

Without knowing anything about their business costs, what do you think would be a fair markup over cost for an ASE?
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The verdict is in folks.

Without knowing anything about their business costs, what do you think would be a fair markup over cost for an ASE? >>

Thats for the market to determine, which it has. Traditionally commodity type items carry a negligible markup where as collector items can have a substantial markup. Are ASE's commodities or collector items?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear