Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WOW WOW WOW - Great Coin in an a BLACK SLAB!

2»

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nice but the coin is worth about 15K, so you're basically paying 10K for the plastic. No thanks. PLUS the same coin sold for just over 17K a mere 2 years ago!!! 25K is way overpriced IMHO.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, nice plastic.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No one has mentioned it yet that I read, but the coin is not holdered backwards or upside down. The NGC black slabs were designed for the NGC Logo side to be the "front", and the label with the grade and certification number was the reverse. Thus, CRO has pictured the reverse of the slab, but not the front. CAC also stickered the reverse of the slab, not the front. image

It's a lovely coin in the pictures on CRO's site. The HA images are less than appealing. It's way over the top for my wallet, but to each his own. >>

I think most people know this and are saying "backwards" tongue in cheek
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    what was the prior sales price ?
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a very nice MS66. At this grade level the black slab is sort of irrelevant. So is the gold sticker if you're ready to pay MS66 or better money.

PCGS is VERY tough when giving out MS67's on no stars dimes and half dimes. As a PCGS 66+ you're probably in the $25K range. PCGS MS67 is a lofty $57K.

If I time trip back to 1988 I made my first no stars dimes in MS65. It was an 1838-0 and was a NGC MS65 pop 1. I remember that MS65 type coins were on the sheet for $10K back then. They are really aren't all that much more money today. But, the pops are certainly a lot higher. >>

That is the quandary. In PCGS 66+ it's a push. In PCGS 67 it's at least double. In PCGS 66 ouch.

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like a very nice MS66. At this grade level the black slab is sort of irrelevant. So is the gold sticker if you're ready to pay MS66 or better money.

PCGS is VERY tough when giving out MS67's on no stars dimes and half dimes. As a PCGS 66+ you're probably in the $25K range. PCGS MS67 is a lofty $57K.

If I time trip back to 1988 I made my first no stars dimes in MS65. It was an 1838-0 and was a NGC MS65 pop 1. I remember that MS65 type coins were on the sheet for $10K back then. They are really aren't all that much more money today. But, the pops are certainly a lot higher. >>

That is the quandary. In PCGS 66+ it's a push. In PCGS 67 it's at least double. In PCGS 66 ouch.

Mark >>

There is a logic to cracking it, no doubt.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>black slab (excessively rare) , gold sticker (excessive hard), tough coin..............The Triple Lindy.....................MJ >>

Of course, only one of those matters to me.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Mark >>

There is a logic to cracking it, no doubt. >>

I just saw another listed in 66+ CAC for 35K so there is risk reward in this for sure. I like the CRO coin better. Then there is the hat.

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Then there is the hat. >>

I'm waiting for the Michigan State version before pulling the trigger.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    zero chance for hitting a PCGS 67.. why ? I bet someone already submitted the coin w/holder to PCGS, for a lotto stab at 67
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>zero chance for hitting a PCGS 67.. why ? I bet someone already submitted the coin w/holder to PCGS, for a lotto stab at 67 >>

You can't ask for a 2 point upgrade when submitting coins for crossover. You can't ask for ANY upgrade when doing so.
  • Options

<< <i>zero chance for hitting a PCGS 67.. why ? I bet someone already submitted the coin w/holder to PCGS, for a lotto stab at 67 >>

Can you specify a min grade to cross above the current grade? Either way uber mint state crossovers rarely happen without cracking the coin out.
  • Options
    This appears to be the highest for the coin on HA: Text

Here is a 66+(PCGS) that sold for $25K: Text

And you can look at all the others out there in gem and above. And with the billions of dollars of certified coins available, the big money tends to go toward extremely rare coins, with an impressive story behind them.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's cool! image
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No one has mentioned it yet that I read, but the coin is not holdered backwards or upside down. The NGC black slabs were designed for the NGC Logo side to be the "front", and the label with the grade and certification number was the reverse. Thus, CRO has pictured the reverse of the slab, but not the front. CAC also stickered the reverse of the slab, not the front. image

It's a lovely coin in the pictures on CRO's site. The HA images are less than appealing. It's way over the top for my wallet, but to each his own. >>

I think most people know this and are saying "backwards" tongue in cheek >>

Well excuse me, all knowing.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Boosibri: Can you specify a min grade to cross above the current grade? >>

I think most everyone knows that you can't. imageimage
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think most people know this and are saying "backwards" tongue in cheek >>

Well excuse me, all knowing.

image >>

That cuts deep.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file