Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WOW WOW WOW - Great Coin in an a BLACK SLAB!

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have no affiliation...

Link to Coin on CRO's Website
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    A LOOKER for sure!!

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is holdered backwards. Someone should have it reholdered.

I'm partial to the Eliasberg pine tree shilling. Beautiful coin.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all the stars are in alignment on that one. wait...
  • Options

<< <i>It is holdered backwards. Someone should have it reholdered.

I'm partial to the Eliasberg pine tree shilling. Beautiful coin. >>

Yup, certainly needs to be cracked out. imageimage

That Eliasberg pine tree shilling is VERY nice!
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is holdered backwards. Someone should have it reholdered.

I'm partial to the Eliasberg pine tree shilling. Beautiful coin. >>

but, it's stickered backwards! image
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is sweet! Quite the premium there at 25K!
  • Options

<< <i>That coin is sweet! Quite the premium there at 25K! >>

I looked up the approximate value of that coin in MS65, MS66 and MS67...in order to support that price, it should really be cracked out and re-graded at the lovely TPG of the person's choice. That is a TON of money above MS65, that's for sure. Heck, it is a good bit of money above MS67. I guess the seller believes it to be MS67...which it very well may be, but at that price level, even if I had the money...it would not be for me.

Crack Crack Crack! image
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, Sweet !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one time where you buy the coin AND the holder.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow . . . .

Very interesting. Obviously a killer in the black slab. Hard to imagine anyone ever trying to crack it but of course, in this game, the money will speak. Fairly high premium to allow someone to keep it in the NGC Black -- so CRO may be sealing its doom with the pricing. Figure something on the order of $2000 for the slab premium . . . not enough to keep it intact if it sells to the right (wrong) person.

Wow . . . cool to look at . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That coin is sweet! Quite the premium there at 25K! >>

WOW!! That is quite a coin. The No Stars dime is many times harder to find in Mint State than the No Stars half dime.

And for this coin you are paying a triple premium:

1. One heck of a tough coin
    2. CAC
    3. NGC slab with the black insert.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    All the kool-aid in that coin image
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Eliasberg Pine Tree Shilling are you guys talking about?
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    black slab (excessively rare) , gold sticker (excessive hard), tough coin..............The Triple Lindy.....................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But it's an NGC Slab.

Isn't NGC inferior to PCGS?

Why are people slobbering over this one?

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What Eliasberg Pine Tree Shilling are you guys talking about? >>

Here it is...

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

"Black Magic"! image
  • Options

<< <i>In this case for anyone interested, this coin is in pcgs plastic and it is that nice. I should have bought it when I had the chance: >>

You lost me halfway through but really lost me with this comment?
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is just stunning.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I'm really kicking myself for not bulking up on the black slabs when they were available for reasonable premiums. If I had a time machine...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>In this case for anyone interested, this coin is in pcgs plastic and it is that nice. I should have bought it when I had the chance: >>

You lost me halfway through but really lost me with this comment? >>

The coin was AUCTIONED a while back and sold for a MUCH cheaper price I believe.
  • Options

<< <i>

The coin was AUCTIONED a while back and sold for a MUCH cheaper price I believe.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Equally lost ... or not drinking enough Kool-Aid.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should not use Black Magic. That is the original book on Magic Tokens. I was all excited thinking it was a rare MT and it's just a dime with a green CAC sticker that discolored. image
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a very nice MS66. At this grade level the black slab is sort of irrelevant. So is the gold sticker if you're ready to pay MS66 or better money.

PCGS is VERY tough when giving out MS67's on no stars dimes and half dimes. As a PCGS 66+ you're probably in the $25K range. PCGS MS67 is a lofty $57K.

If I time trip back to 1988 I made my first no stars dimes in MS65. It was an 1838-0 and was a NGC MS65 pop 1. I remember that MS65 type coins were on the sheet for $10K back then. They are really aren't all that much more money today. But, the pops are certainly a lot higher.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But it's an NGC Slab.

Isn't NGC inferior to PCGS?

Why are people slobbering over this one? >>

Wrong slab...because 100% of my collection is PCGS (the other TPG'ers I BST or cross them over to PCGS)

I feel that PCGS is more stringent with their grading.

It's a real looker of a coin!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The coin was AUCTIONED a while back and sold for a MUCH cheaper price I believe. >>

It was offered to me prior to it being auctioned off at Heritage, does that make sense to you now, I passed and it was put up for auction. Capesce. >>

So that means you likely had two opportunities at a lower price. image
  • Options

I didn't realize the coin was sold and now resides in a PCGS holder.

-How long ago did that happen?

-What did it grade in PCGS?

-If the above is true, has the OP lost his mind by posting this? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The coin was AUCTIONED a while back and sold for a MUCH cheaper price I believe. >>

It was offered to me prior to it being auctioned off at Heritage, does that make sense to you now, I passed and it was put up for auction. Capesce. >>

So that means you likely had two opportunities at a lower price. image >>

How can you assume that, if I had the money I would have bid above the Ha.com price, and who knows what I would have won it for if I was able to win it. The price that was offered to me prior to the auction needs to be kept private but why you would assume it was lower is beyond me. >>

Relax, no reason to go nuts here. Just playing and having fun, nothing more.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    It's backwards and upside down. Crazy.
  • Options
    Way too rich for my blood and unless someone is rolling in dough and pie-eyed after one too many, I doubt that there will be any takers at that #.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin! If it was mine it would be in a PCGS holder next week. And I'm not kidding.
  • Options

<< <i>Beautiful coin! If it was mine it would be in a PCGS holder next week. And I'm not kidding. >>

I know you are not and that's the scary part. The owners of the other 29 Black Slabs wish you would do the same.

Great coin, the most valuable holder and a gold sticker carrot. Someone will buy this and will sell it for more one day.

Mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard 2nd hand that JA called this one the "Mother of all NGC Black Slabs". image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Heritage Auction listing: Text
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The price that was offered to me prior to the auction needs to be kept private >>

So many secrets in this "business."
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two VERY nice coins linked in this thread. image
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no affiliation...

Link to Coin on CRO's Website >>

You should get affiliated with it, it is very nice. image
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

<< <i>

So what is the grade in PCGS. I can't find anything on it. There is no image in coinfacts either.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

So what is the grade in PCGS. I can't find anything on it. There is no image in coinfacts either. >>

That coin has been in that slab for 28 years and counting.......Mark
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

So what is the grade in PCGS. I can't find anything on it. There is no image in coinfacts either. >>

That coin has been in that slab for 28 years and counting.......Mark >>

Does Realone just make things up?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Pete's sake can you guys please straighten out your letters... As my neck hurts from leaning sideways reading these last 4 posts! image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Beautiful coin! If it was mine it would be in a PCGS holder next week. And I'm not kidding. >>

imageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one has mentioned it yet that I read, but the coin is not holdered backwards or upside down. The NGC black slabs were designed for the NGC Logo side to be the "front", and the label with the grade and certification number was the reverse. Thus, CRO has pictured the reverse of the slab, but not the front. CAC also stickered the reverse of the slab, not the front. image

It's a lovely coin in the pictures on CRO's site. The HA images are less than appealing. It's way over the top for my wallet, but to each his own.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file