Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unusual Crown Counterstamp on a 1877-S Seated Quarter-

NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
Picked this up last week for a good price on ebay. Whats your thoughts on the counterstamp? Is it a known one? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried looking for it with google on a big online list of counterstamped coins, and did not see it.
    I also did not find it as a silversmith's hallmark for US and UK silversmiths (there are online pages of these).
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No clue on the counterstamp, but it's definitely cool.

My thought would have been some kind of silversmith hallmark as well.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    I've definitely seen this C/S before, though I don't recall the value.

What's "a good price", if you don't mind me asking?
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a S King image
  • Options
    jetblack740il

==================================

Complete US-PHIL Coins for Sale, Circulation Strikes 1903-1945
  • Options
    If it were Sheffield it would be for the date of 1807. The other mark that this reminds me of is the German Continental porcelain company. Don't knopw if this helps but info is info.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $12.50 is a good price
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very nice counterstamp.... nicely centered and designed....Reminds me of a proof mark on Belgium made Browning pistols...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Picked this up last week for a good price on ebay. Whats your thoughts on the counterstamp? Is it a known one? Thanks.
    image >>

Its mine, image it has my initial on it image Cool P/U

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Still a mystery I guess.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Seagrams?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    dupe post

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    I asked Cointalk member BRandM and below are his comments.

"Hi [LogPotato],
    I'm not a member of the PCGS forum, so didn't see [this] post. I've been doing some searches and thinking about the counterstamp though.

My initial impression was a cutler's mark similar to old English merchant pieces. There are many examples of crowned initials or letters, and there is in fact a "Crowned S" mark known. There's no illustration of it as far as I know, but it's highly unlikely to be [this one].

A lot of the marks are very old , much earlier than [this one], and mostly appear on large English copper Pennies or Halfpennies. I'm pretty certain that it's American rather than English, but whose it is I don't know.

There are several red flags here. Counterstamps of English origin on American coins are exceedingly rare. Our coinage simply didn't circulate in England nor there's here. Most American stamps on foreign coins, especially prior to 1850 or so, were struck on Spanish Reales of various denominations. The only English coin I have in my collection with an American stamp is an old silver coin issued by a New Yorker named Thomas Siren. Siren was a sailor, so may have picked up the coin in England or one of her colonies.

There's no question in my mind that the stamp represents the logo of some company. Other than American, there's a slight possibility it's a Canadian mark. Canadian coins did circulate to some extent in the states bordering Canada.
    I believe [this] stamp dates to the 1880s or a bit later.

I'm going to look a bit more and will let you know if I have any luck. I appreciate the opportunity to research [this] counterstamp. BTW, it's a very nice piece and one I wouldn't mind having in my collection.

Kindest regards,
    [BRandM]"
  • Options
    Wow that's very informative and exciting! Thanks LogPotato for obtaining that and BRandM for helping research it!image

<< <i>I asked Cointalk member BRandM and below are his comments.

"Hi [LogPotato],
    I'm not a member of the PCGS forum, so didn't see [this] post. I've been doing some searches and thinking about the counterstamp though.

My initial impression was a cutler's mark similar to old English merchant pieces. There are many examples of crowned initials or letters, and there is in fact a "Crowned S" mark known. There's no illustration of it as far as I know, but it's highly unlikely to be [this one].

A lot of the marks are very old , much earlier than [this one], and mostly appear on large English copper Pennies or Halfpennies. I'm pretty certain that it's American rather than English, but whose it is I don't know.

There are several red flags here. Counterstamps of English origin on American coins are exceedingly rare. Our coinage simply didn't circulate in England nor there's here. Most American stamps on foreign coins, especially prior to 1850 or so, were struck on Spanish Reales of various denominations. The only English coin I have in my collection with an American stamp is an old silver coin issued by a New Yorker named Thomas Siren. Siren was a sailor, so may have picked up the coin in England or one of her colonies.

There's no question in my mind that the stamp represents the logo of some company. Other than American, there's a slight possibility it's a Canadian mark. Canadian coins did circulate to some extent in the states bordering Canada.
    I believe [this] stamp dates to the 1880s or a bit later.

I'm going to look a bit more and will let you know if I have any luck. I appreciate the opportunity to research [this] counterstamp. BTW, it's a very nice piece and one I wouldn't mind having in my collection.

Kindest regards,
    [BRandM]" >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file