Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down - 150 years ago this week.

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
I can't get Robbie Robertson's song about the end days of the Civil War out of my mind. It has such moving lyrics.

Anyway, it was 150 years ago this week that Richmond fell and the final campaign was waged on route to Appomattox Court House.

You tube video

Virgil Kane is the name
And I served on the Danville train
'Till Stoneman's cavalry came
And tore up the tracks again

In the winter of '65
We were hungry, just barely alive
By May the 10th, Richmond had fell
It's a time I remember, oh so well

The night they drove old Dixie down
And the bells were ringing
And the people were singing
They went, "Na, na, la, na, na, la"

Back with my wife in Tennessee
When one day she called to me
"Virgil, quick, come see,
There goes Robert E. Lee!"

Now, I don't mind chopping wood
And I don't care if the money's no good
You take what you need
And you leave the rest
But they should never
Have taken the very best

And all the people were singing

Like my father before me
I will work the land
And like my brother above me
Who took a rebel stand

He was just 18, proud and brave
But a Yankee laid him in his grave
I swear by the mud below my feet
You can't raise a Kane back up
When he's in defeat

And all the people were singing

And all the bells were ringing
And the people were singing

Richmond fell on April 3, 1865 not May 10, 1865. May 10 marked the capture of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and the definitive end of the Confederacy.

So lets see some posts with some numismatic items about the fall of Richmond, or anything from 1865.
Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Band sang that tune with great emotion!!!!!

Here you go Rick....Robbie at his craft...........................

The Band

Awesome video

edited to add: Sorry, I missed your YouTube link.

Thanks for posting this thread.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I was always more partial to their song Chest Fever, but you got me on Dixie. It'll be in my head all night!
    My '65
    imageimage
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That has always been my favorite song by The Band - the version from "The Last Waltz" just kills me every time. Levon's vocals are gut-wrenching.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had the pleasure of metal detecting some private property about 3 miles from appomattix court house along Lee's retreat route. Found some nice confederate bullets, a few buttons and other cool pieces of history.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Can't say I prefer Joan Baez's cover ... I think they're equally good.

Most Southerners didn't own slaves. Old Jeff Davis and those other jagbags bear the shame.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't say I prefer Joan Baez's cover ... I think they're equally good.

Most Southerners didn't own slaves. Old Jeff Davis and those other jagbags bear the shame. >>

As a proud Southern and American, I ask you not turn this august coin forum into a silly political statement with creative English.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ten days ago they held a re-enactment of the largest battle in North Carolina near Bentonville. Was supposed to draw over 50,000 people, but I saw little coverage in the media. I should have gone as I wanted to learn more about the battle which occurred about 40 miles east of my home.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are the only pictures of an 1865 dated coin I have. I don't own this one any more, but the clash marks on this Nickel Three Cent Piece are interesting. I have a nice 1865 cent, but it is in the bank.

imageimage

An here is an attractive medal that was struck by the Medallic Art Company which was issued during the Civil War centennial (1961 - 1965) observance. It's hard to believe that it's been 50 years since this piece was issued. I remember the advertising copy at Gimbels Department Store advising collectors to hurry up and buy this piece because the centennial period was coming to an end.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    We let them win. They were jealous of us down here in the south.

All I'm going to say is that nobody retires and moves north!

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>We let them win. They were jealous of us down here in the south.

All I'm going to say is that nobody retires and moves north! >>

I love it!
    So true, so true. South of the Mason Dixon line is where it's at!
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always liked that song.... by the original and Joan Baez..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Most Southerners didn't own slaves. Old Jeff Davis and those other jagbags bear the shame. >>

As a proud Southern and American, I ask you not turn this august coin forum into a silly political statement with creative English. >>

Wasn't even thinly veiled. image
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great song and a great remembrance, thanks EagleEye!

Hope the Forum enjoys a half dollar which I believe is a unique die state, an 1865-S with two full cuds on the reverse at (UNI)TE(D) and STATE(S). I found the coin at a show, and it was sold to a serious collector of Seated Halves.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    I'm saying that was a politicians' war that could have been avoided and should never have been fought.

The only one of my relatives that I know fought in that war fought for the South, and I am proud of his service.

• Options
    A Confederate "Restrike" half dollar made by the Scott Company of New York City in 1879 ...

imageimage

And an 1861-O half dollar that escaped the Scott Company's purchase of 500 such coins that were used to make the "restrike" coins. I bought this one from a collector when I was a dealer at a show and decided to hang on to it.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    In his 1993 book This Wheel's on Fire, Helm writes "Robbie and I worked on 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' up in Woodstock. I remember taking him to the library so he could research the history and geography of the era and make General Robert E. Lee come out with all due respect."

#245 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest songs of all time

Baez screwed up the lyrics so badly I couldn't bear to listen to her cut. "So much cavalry" instead of "Stoneman's cavalry", "We made it in" instead of "May the 10th", etc.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorites from The Band. Thanks for the lyrics, Rick!
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    Here is my contribution to the cause:

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

As a proud Southern and American, I ask you not turn this august coin forum into a silly political statement with creative English. >>

I second this image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Wait, the war's over?
  • Options
    By jagbags I meant politicians. I thought everyone knew those two terms were interchangeable. image

Edited to remove note about Jefferson Davis ...

Re-edited to add that it's a great song.

Re-re-edited to add the Joan Baez lyric "the blood below my feet" enhanced the song.

Re-re-re-edited to add the 1865 double eagle is a great piece.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the best way to remember the Civil War is to put yourself in the position that every person was in during these times. I have tried to do that since 2011, on the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the war. I have been following the 150th anniversary of the battles, reading all I could on the things going on. Writing about the money changes of the times. This song, although written in 1971 shows the perspective of the average Southerner in 1865. After four years of terrible war and still proud, but destitute and weary of loss of friends and property.

April 1865 was probably the most important month of the United States history. Had the major players of the time acted differently things could have been much different. What if Nathan B. Forrest formed a guerrilla militia and continued to fight around the margins of the country. What if Lincoln was not assassinated. What if Lee was treated like Davis?

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that sure is a tough period of time during our history. just saying
  • Options

<< <i>What if Nathan B. Forrest formed a guerrilla militia and continued to fight around the margins of the country? >>

More importantly, what would have happened if Lee and perhaps even Albert Sydney Johnson (The general in charge of the army that was opposing General Sherman in the South.) had gotten together and formed one or more guerrilla forces? Forest was a devil, but he had a limited number of men around him.

From what I have read, Lee was not saint that some people make him out to be, but he did have the sense of honor not to extend "The Lost Cause" beyond the point where it really became hopeless. At any rate Lee did have a terminal heart condition that was not treatable in those days. There would have had to been another leader to take his place if he had gone in that direction.

<< <i>What if Lincoln was not assassinated? >>

This is really tough one. Sometimes historical figures die at the precise moment that preserves their place in history. Lincoln had the right idea when he said, "Let 'em up easy," with respect to the South, but with no war to galvanize the political support around him, could Lincoln have controlled the vengeful elements of the Radical Republican Party?

<< <i>What if Lee was treated like Davis? >>

I don't think that this would have made much difference, although among the Southern people I think that Lee was by far a greater hero and a symbol of the Confederacy than Jefferson Davis.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the way home to visit family I drive through the Appomattox historic site. There is a tiny Confederate cemetery there; one of the graves is that of a soldier who enlisted in the CSA when Fort Sumter was bombarded, fought throughout the war only to be killed on the last day of the war at Appomattox. Every day when I drive to work I pass the spot where Richmond was surrendered to the Federals, it is a little east of town on Rt. 5. It's still beautiful rolling farmland, but eventually slated for development. (I also pass the site of Beck's Public Baths but that's another story).

A small correction: A.S. Johnston was killed at Shiloh; Joe Johnston was hopeful of linking up with Lee towards the end.
  • Options

<< <i>A small correction: A.S. Johnston was killed at Shiloh; Joe Johnston was hopeful of linking up with Lee towards the end. >>

That's okay. I keep getting the Johnsons mixed up. I have trouble with the Hill boys too. image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My German Shepherd is named Dixie. She was rescued from a dumpster in Florence, SC.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are anywhere near Galena, Illinois there is a huge 150th "Peace In Union" celebration starting this week and running through April. Tour U.S. Grant's Home while you're there! 150th in Galena

Commemorating 150 Years Since The Surrender at Appomattox!

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that didn't really start until air conditioning was invented. image
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Great Song, Levon was a Soulful Singer, can't believe he kept his cool on the drums whilst singing such an emotional song.
    I ride to Gettysburg every few years, always play that song quietly while on the Confederate side, also play Dixieland by Elvis, the full live version.
    Always plan it for a rainy day, is so Somber, I Cry......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great song and Band........ended listening to several more of their songs.

Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, yes.

I remember when it was 100 years ago this week.... image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file