Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this Morgan worth submission?

I was thinking this common Morgan dollar would grade 64-65. Do others think this coin is worth a submission?

Text

Text

Comments

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    would it be worth the cost is the question? after all you are paying for a opinion that may not agree with yours

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if it did grade 65, the shipping/submission costs would eat away most of your profit if selling is what you're looking to do.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably not worth the effort for an 80 s.
    Vplite99
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that were a highly lustrous coin in hand I could see it maybe going 65, but as it looks from the photos it's a 63. Get some good pictures and sell it raw.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks nice and orginal, but the muted luster would likely hold it to a 64. This date is common in gem and above and unless you can swing an MS66, which this would not, I wouldn't bother.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks nice and orginal, but the muted luster would likely hold it to a 64. This date is common in gem and above and unless you can swing an MS66, which this would not, I wouldn't bother. >>

I agree
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's getting to the point where unless these common dates are a lock MS 65 or above, submission is too expensive. Even going the Economy Submission route (assuming you have 5 coins total or more) with Insurance and mailing costs you'll have $25+ per coin in the submission. If you spent more than $30 to obtain the coin you're on the cusp of LOSING MONEY if they return MS 64.

If coin prices keep dropping they'll be throwing paper airplanes around the grading room.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    Or someone could try the others at $10-$12 a coin. At least Randy Campbell grades dollars accurately in the under $200 range probably, but how salable are the non-PCGS/NGC options?
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impossible to guess a grade with scans because there is no way to judge the luster, that said the cheek is too flat to grade higher than MS64 (IMO) and as such it is not worth having it graded by anyone (IMO).
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not worth it. I also think it is AU58/MS62.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Looks nice and orginal, but the muted luster would likely hold it to a 64. This date is common in gem and above and unless you can swing an MS66, which this would not, I wouldn't bother. >>

I agree with RelicsNCoins above posted quote.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Morgan silver dollars are worthy of submission.

Some are just more worthy than others.

peacockcoins

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no i dont think so, jmo
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not worth submitting. An unimpressive common date coin.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if you got an MS-65, which I don't think you have a chance of getting, the coin only has a Gray Sheet bid of $130. Unless you just want it in a slab for some reason, it's not worth sending in for grading.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not worth it. IMO, at best a 62 and have seen better slabbed as such.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe as part of a bulk order, but not by itself.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not worth it.... 62/63....good album coin for YN's... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Also depends on how much you spent on it. If it's just melt price you paid or slightly over, I wouldn't send it in. If it is a sentimental piece I may just to preserve it. I know other companies may slab it cheaply if preserving it is your need.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less cost is finding one already graded. You can do much better that way. Save the rest for the albums… UNLESS image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file