Home Precious Metals
Options

Proving once again, something collectors already know

Spot value don't mean a thing when it comes to a collectable bar.
10 oz Engelhard of this variety has gone up while Spot has gone down

The typical response from those who just want oz's as close to Spot as they can get will be that the audience to these bars is very limited, and that's fine if that's your thing. Just stop saying these bars are at risk, it's been proven otherwise countless times.
As long as there's a venue like eBay, these bars will rise in value no matter what Spot is doing.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Spot value don't mean a thing when it comes to a collectable bar.

The typical response from those who just want oz's as close to Spot as they can get will be that the audience to these bars is very limited, and that's fine if that's your thing. Just stop saying these bars are at risk, it's been proven otherwise countless times.
    As long as there's a venue like eBay, these bars will rise in value no matter what Spot is doing. >>

That applies to all "collectable" items, but only as long as there is some one willing to pay the premium. At one time, that was even true for "pet rocks." image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

As long as there's a venue like eBay, these bars will rise in value no matter what Spot is doing. >>

That applies to all "collectable" items, but only as long as there is some one willing to pay the premium. At one time, that was even true for "pet rocks." image >>

And tulips. Don't get me started on tulip bulbs. Talk about a crash in the tulip market...
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently cheerfully paid 180x melt for a silver quarter because it's collectible

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    That applies to all "collectable" items, but only as long as there is some one willing to pay the premium. At one time, that was even true for "pet rocks."

That is true. I'm not saying they will never fall out of favor in continuing to grab a steep premium, just pointing out that Spot is going down and value on these bars specifially continue to increase.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you legitimately prove a generalization to be true using a single example from eBay?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Can you legitimately prove a generalization to be true using a single example from eBay?

Absolutely, because I've posted it here every time this particular bar is offered and every time it's been $370-$420 over the last year.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can you legitimately prove a generalization to be true using a single example from eBay?

Absolutely, because I've posted it here every time this particular bar is offered and every time it's been $370-$420 over the last year. >>

So this one sold for $393, right in the middle of your range. It might be holding its value, but not increasing.

How much did these bars sell for when silver was $40+?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collectibles are a fickle game...remember Beanie Babies?? I saw one selling for $4000.... today it would not bring $4...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the bar and recognize its collector value.
    Additionally, it has "888" in the serial number.
    Some folks find triple 8 to be lucky.
    Time will tell for the buyer.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two separate markets for silver bars---the rare collectable silver bar market and the silver bullion market. The rare collectable silver bar market is thinly traded with eBay being one of the few venues where these bars can get their full value. I can see these bars doing well in the future assuming quality counterfeits don't start being produced. Those interested in buying silver as bullion will have little or no interest in these rare bars because of their high premium over melt value and their lack of liquidity. Those that are interested in silver as bullion will continue to buy current production bars at a small premium over melt value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Collectibles are a fickle game...remember Beanie Babies?? I saw one selling for $4000.... today it would not bring $4...Cheers, RickO >>

Can't compare. At the very least these have the intrinsic underlying value of the silver content as a floor and the ceiling has yet to be determined as this market is in it's relative infancy. I guess silver could go down to $.40 an ounce and the collector bar market goes into the crapper to make your point

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are two separate markets for silver bars---the rare collectable silver bar market and the silver bullion market. The rare collectable silver bar market is thinly traded with eBay being one of the few venues where these bars can get their full value. I can see these bars doing well in the future assuming quality counterfeits don't start being produced. Those interested in buying silver as bullion will have little or no interest in these rare bars because of their high premium over melt value and their lack of liquidity. Those that are interested in silver as bullion will continue to buy current production bars at a small premium over melt value. >>

This is basically correct expect there are move then a few places to extract current full value. I have a pretty decent collection. I've bought and sold and I have never once used EBAY.

MArk
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    This is basically correct expect there are move then a few places to extract current full value. I have a pretty decent collection. I've bought and sold and I have never once used EBAY

I agree, although I have bought on eBay. It is not a thin market...as long as there's a venue like eBay reaching worldwide. It's not a thin market if ebay shuts down tomorrow IF you've kept the email address/phone number of those you've traded with. My list is ever growing. image
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is always someone who's willing
    to pay !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what were these selling for when silver was $40+?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

They will also go down in value no matter what spot is doing...

Most all premiums have gone down and significantly , exception being the rarest of bars, which this one isn't and as cohodk pointed out, obviously at spot $40+ this bar is/was a loser...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    It bolis down to availability doesn't it? If they're listed regularly on eBay, they will fall in value. If one comes around only once a month or so, they will maintain at a minimum.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Bored money needs a sandbox to play in. "Collector' bars offer a temporary thrill that the spot ride up offered.
    Once spot takes off again interest in collector bars will largely go with it. The herd will be stacking again.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm embarassed at the premium to "melt" paid for these measly chips of silver

Same principle as these collectible bars--- if it's priced at a premium, it will never get melted into industry use or a different "collectible" novelty item, it will just get resold to affluent people, and maybe the heirs will be knowlegeable or "in a hurry" or maybe they will not. The buyer was knowledgeable (or at least he told himslef he was, ha ha )

Anyway, yay Engelhard, I have a small type set of collectible silver bars for fun, but realized the bulk and relatively low liquidity and and quickly went way the other direction towards density and "just about any coin dealer would make you an offer in the ballpark. I also like to be able to put a couple thousand dollars worth of silver into the little tiny pocket in my jeans;
    the guard at the border is much less likely to notice it, and so is the wife image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can you legitimately prove a generalization to be true using a single example from eBay?

Absolutely, because I've posted it here every time this particular bar is offered and every time it's been $370-$420 over the last year. >>

So this one sold for $393, right in the middle of your range. It might be holding its value, but not increasing.

How much did these bars sell for when silver was $40+? >>

Comparable bars sold for about $500 when silver was $40+.

IMO, the type of bar cited by POM is not especially scarce; I was surprised by the final price with silver in the $15-$16 range.

Another bar from the same seller that sold for $395 is one I consider to be a far scarcer.

Scarce 10 oz Engelhard
  • Options
    Comparable bars sold for about $500 when silver was $40+.

I distinctly remember selling one on eBay for $588 when Spot was in the high $30's.
    So with Spot at $15 and change, $400 or so aint that bad, but to the points being made, I guess the value does come down as Spot falls.

$58/oz when Spot was $38 or $40/oz when Spot is $15...so the premium is higher now, just as some have said. But the good thing is the significant premium over Spot will be there, unlike generic garbage. Go to try and sell generic now. If sold on eBay you're lucky to net Spot, just like you would if you sold in person with no fees involved.

people do what they do and collect what they collect. I guess there is no wrong answer, just collect/stack.
  • Options
    yea some guy in Germany bought that one, I think he stopped buying a long time ago...
    Will he get 588 now? Very very doubtful ...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The proof is in the putting your money where your collectibles are.
  • Options

<< <i>The proof is in the putting your money where your collectibles are. >>

Where... Not into???... Lol
    keceph `anah