Home Precious Metals
Options

Guess the winning bid on this PROOF 70 Washington

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
There's never a guarantee it will turn out as well as one's expectations are, in a place like ebay or in modern coins, for that matter. So don't get your hopes too high.

Submitted this coin along with 99 other coins (25 presidential proof sets) , in a bulk submission. Out of 100 Presidential Dollars submitted, only four returned "PR 70" , iirc. Would have to check (sign in and look back at the records) to be precise.

Care to guess ? No need to see the reverse.

No cheating. All guesses must be in before Monday morning 8:00 A.M. to be eligible for the grand prize. TBA

Comments

• Options
    Sorry guys. Wrong forum image

How much is brass by the pound ?
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    $1? image

jk. hope you got a pretty penny (or dollar) for it
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the sets I got, those first year proofs would have been fairly hard to get a 70. I have no good guess on what an auction would've brought. Maybe $15?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Hey OB, How did you know it was the "PRICE IS RIGHT " rules ? Closest guess without "going over" wins. You're still in the running image
  • Options
    jmski… you're still in the running, too. image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    under $20.00.... ("modern junk") Not even a First Strike image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate it when people do this on the price is right but I'm going to say $20.01 Bob, excuse I mean Drew , image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $7.50

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    $13.59
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    anybody else get a belly laugh here tonight ? image

You guys are dog piling
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Actually when these first came out, the 70s were demanding good money which is probably true of most moderns in 70 grade when first released. Then downhill from there.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $35.00....maybe even better if you avoid weekend or holiday auction end dates....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually when these first came out, the 70s were demanding good money which is probably true of most moderns in 70 grade when first released. Then downhill from there. >>

SO true. I had started a registry set of the unc's, and between the grades/populations changing seemingly every 5 minutes, then 'Positions A & B' were distinguished, man, it just got too much to soon (and, as pf70collector states, they WERE demanding/commanding very good $$). At the very onset of the series, there was no Position A & B, but upon seeing the TPG's were going to be distinguishing between the two (now, you'd need 2 P-mint and 2 D-mint coins, and if you were also going to have the 'no edge lettering' examples....and then NGC begins to grade the $1 covers, so just another subset of the Pres $$'s) , I realized that one PCGS box would be needed for pretty much two years of the series (I was not, and don't, collecting the proofs.... had I been, one blue box wouldn't even contain two years of the series). With Pos A&B, graded FDCC's, I suddenly had a bad feeling about these. Sure enough, one day, the bottom just drops out, not even a 'slippery slope', they just tanked. I was extremely lucky to get mine off to Teletrade, and bail out with, after fees and shipping, a SMALL tad over 50% of what I had in them (and keep in mind, I dumped mine just less than 2 years into the series). It was during my taping up of the box to ship it off to Teletrade, that I decided, at that very moment, that I swore off collecting moderns, except when there is a hole in my Danscos that needs filling.

Knowing that prices can be all over the place (mostly on the bottom) on these (with the exception of the 2012's), I'm going to guess you didn't get near what you were 'expecting' to get, Joe. Where this isn't a 'First Strike' coin, I'm throwing out a guess of under $20, as OPA suggested, but I'll give a solid guess of $18.45. Quite honestly, in a non-FS holder, these aren't even worth grading, even with a 70.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I have to admit I do own a First Strike 2010 Lincoln Dollar Proof that I paid $200 for.
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

PF70 collecting is nice as a collector, brutal as an investment.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Dansco of Pres Dollars is a throwback to how I collected as a kid. Ungraded. Shiny coins. Filling holes in an album.

The way the Mint is spewing out coins, it's pretty tricky keeping up. If you thought the 1970s produced a lot of worthless coinage, today is about 6 times worse, literally.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Kenny is the winner.

Final Hammer price : $18.50.
    ….was a little surprised about the bid being so low and may have done better had I put a reserve on it. Well that's the nature of the beast on ebay. It may have done much better in a different time slot.
  • Options
    After seeing the different winning/high bids, and the possible ‘favorite label’…all I can say is ‘wow’ (besides ‘thanks, Joe!’)! I jumped to eBay's 'search' after Joe announced a winner, and the 'sold' prices range from Joe's low of $18.50 ($18.50, and there were 25 freaking bids!!! CHEAP BASTIGES!!), to the two $54 BIN's. These numbers are strictly for non-FS coins (of which there's only one completed/sold, for $79.95...). I did notice that the $54 BIN's (those prices kinda surprised me, though I’m not sure of how long the BIN’s languished, or if they sold quickly), one was for a blue label like Joe's, and one for the 'portrait' label. The sold listings for $27 and $26 had 'portrait' labels. Could it be that, with a 'true auction', the 'portrait' label is more desired than the regular blue label? Regardless, looks like if you put up a BIN, it mighta/woulda very well have been bought for upwards of $50, or even a couple bucks more. Did you check the previous sales, and the types of listings used? You could have even started an auction-type listing starting at, say, $40, or even $50. Regardless, you took a beat-down…if I may, what did you think it was going to bring?
  • Options

<< <i>.....

PF70 collecting is nice as a collector, brutal as an investment. >>

This is not only true of proofs, but also, high grade unc's.

• Options
    Kenny, it's good to chat again. I expected the coin to go for about $40 , with my considerations to the "slowness of the movement" of the market, in general terms, it was about half my expectations. Added proof that many are asleep, or nobody wants to try to "build" a registry set, but this is a precious metal forum , so I apologize for having put this here. It would have made for a decent numismatic chat, but not here.

On that note, I've noticed metals are down IN THE industrial sector , as are many commodities.

Of special note: if this is what the "FAIR MARKET" is in numismatics on ebay, I can tell you without a doubt, at 60. I can live with it. It was my decision to delve in the market with a hobby. If it goes lower, a guy may have to get down on his knees and scrub floors. Am not above that, either.

And with that, just curious:
    what did silver do today, anyway ? I was too busy to check.
  • Options
    It's always good (and interesting most of the time..lol) chattin' with you!!!

Silver, eh, stagnant, whoops, just went into the green, whoops, back to stagnant.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see they have gone up in value!!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com