Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bought a dollar off ebay and seller is shipping FedEx....

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
At least that is what was indicated in the listing. So, when I sent payment I included a note asking to
send USPS instead of FedEx as FedEx does not insure coins via FedEx Ground. Of course he ignored my
request and put into the FedEx system as follows:

Monday bought and paid....Seller gave it to FedEx in Dearborn, MI
Tuesday...went to Livonia, MI.....distance: 16.1 miles
Wednesday....went to Perrysburg, OH......distance: 73.9 miles
Thursday......went to Mt. Vernon, MO.....703.7 miles
Friday went to......Erick, OK....398.3 miles
edited:
Saturday went to Happy Jack, AZ.......655 miles
Only 232 miles to go!!

I figure that it will be here on Wednesday next......way to go FedEx...thanks.

bobimage
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL.

Insurance protects the seller, not the buyer, of course. So no worries for you. Just a long wait it seems.
    Lance.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally, it's much easier for a seller to miss a memo embedded in a payment notification that it
    is if you had contacted him/her via the "Contact seller" option. I never use the former for that
    reason.
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind the possibility of private insurance. I am a small seller on eBay, yet have a private insurance policy that also allows coverage for fedex shipments.
  • Options
    My point is that it would have been here via USPS......

bobimage
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    Pass the crying towel................<sniff>
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people do not work well with communication/correspondence/ special requests.

Remember: "Old dog/ New Trick".
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i think the pony express made better time then those first 2 days....image

in the end so long as the coin is at least what's hoped for is my wish for ya hear...hopefully you snagged a beauty image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    They also have FedEx SmartPost - which FedEx picks it up and puts it in the mail for USPS to deliver.
  • Options

<< <i>They also have FedEx SmartPost - which FedEx picks it up and puts it in the mail for USPS to deliver. >>

Seller's first language is NOT English and felt that I'd just be easy and ask for USPS...

Coin is not expensive, $800 or so..but did think that Priority would have been nice...

Usually when I complain the coin shows up the next day so I thought that this might also hurry it along!!image

bobimage
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the seller has a collectibles insurance policy (recommended for any dealer), they don't purchase insurance through the provider in any case. They are fully covered regardless as long as signtaure is required for delivery.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>If the seller has a collectibles insurance policy (recommended for any dealer), they don't purchase insurance through the provider in any case. They are fully covered regardless as long as signtaure is required for delivery. >>

Got it but not a dealer....Seller's first sale on Ebay...

bobimage
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased some Silver last week and wasn't too happy to see it was shipped vis UPS as they just normally throw it on the front porch,,,,,,

and rain, snow, sleet or dark of night and it lays unprotected from the elements but the package was delivered to my Post Office Box so not sure what happened there?

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insurance is really for the good of the ebay seller. It's his way of recovering the refund the buyer gets if the coin doesn't make it. Ebay buyers don't need insured shipments, sellers do.

The OP was trying to get faster delivery.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    The good thing about FedEx is they are in operation on many of the federal holidays and have better tracking. The bad thing is they cost more and are not federal so lost and stolen items are not treated as seriously.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting for my USPS package.... hope to have a surprise in there...image If so....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>If the seller has a collectibles insurance policy (recommended for any dealer), they don't purchase insurance through the provider in any case. They are fully covered regardless as long as signtaure is required for delivery. >>

Got it but not a dealer....Seller's first sale on Ebay...

bobimage >>

So what's the cherrypick? image >>

If it is, then I'll reveal. IF not I'll eat it alone!

bobimage
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the seller has private insurance, then FedEx is no problem. Keep in mind that what may be a simple request for you may not be a simple request for a seller. I ship thousands of packages a year and get all sorts of requests. I try to do them, but if I'm packing up 100 coins in a sitting, it's really, really hard to remember to do one a different way than I normally would. When someone asks me to add a signature at a value where I normally wouldn't, the first thing I write back is that I'll try, but I might forget. If someone asks for FedEx over USPS, the general response is OK, but it'll take another 3 or 4 days for me to clear my other shipping and get to FedEx.

As was noted earlier, when requests are in payment notes, it's really unlikely I'll see them. Always send them by email, and preferably, also before paying. Once you pay, the seller has a day to get it out if they don't want a defect. If it's anything I have to follow up on and my 24 hours is ticking, it's not going to be fulfilled.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that it was the seller's first ebay sale, it might be that they know how to ship one way and that way is with FedEx. Therefore, a simple request on your part might not be a simple solution for them.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At least that is what was indicated in the listing. So, when I sent payment I included a note asking to
    send USPS instead of FedEx as FedEx does not insure coins via FedEx Ground. Of course he ignored my
    request and put into the FedEx system as follows:

Monday bought and paid....Seller gave it to FedEx in Dearborn, MI
    Tuesday...went to Livonia, MI.....distance: 16.1 miles
    Wednesday....went to Perrysburg, OH......distance: 73.9 miles
    Thursday......went to Mt. Vernon, MO.....703.7 miles
    Friday went to......Erick, OK....398.3 miles
    edited:
    Saturday went to Happy Jack, AZ.......655 miles
    Only 232 miles to go!!

I figure that it will be here on Wednesday next......way to go FedEx...thanks.

bobimage >>

Deaborn, yick. It made it out of there safetly thankfully.
  • Options
    Monday update: Still in Happy Jack, AZ, 0 miles today.

bobimage
  • Options
    Monday night update:
    Whoa baby, left Happy Jack and went south instead of north!! Now in Phoenix!!

Only 292 to go!!

• Options
    Tuesday morning:

I get a call from FEDEX and told to be home to receive my package!
    It took an airplane and now is in Henderson with only

20 miles to go!!

Whoooo hoooo

Now, what was it I bought??

bobimage
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you live in about Summerlin?
    Vplite99
  • Options
    Summerlin it is.

bobimage
  • Options
    LowBudgetLowBudget Posts: 383 ✭✭
    2 day economy would have been well worth it ..why sellers pick the slo mo route is baffling
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I figure that it will be here on Wednesday next......way to go FedEx...thanks. >>

"Under promise and over deliver" right there!!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They also have FedEx SmartPost - which FedEx picks it up and puts it in the mail for USPS to deliver. >>

Seller's first language is NOT English and felt that I'd just be easy and ask for USPS...

Coin is not expensive, $800 or so..but did think that Priority would have been nice...

Usually when I complain the coin shows up the next day so I thought that this might also hurry it along!!image

bobimage >>

An $800 coin IS expensive.
    All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file