Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jacqueline Kennedy gold First Spouse - whose buying?

RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Jacqueline Kennedy gold Proof and Unc coins will be released later this year.

Most, ever the modern folks, don't like this series.

That said, Jackie Kennedy is obviously an extremely popular figure.

Just curious, who's planning on buying a Jackie when they're released.

I'm in for one, possible one of each finish.
Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Not me! I'M DONE WITH THE MINT.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 proofs 1 Unc

My usual spouse order is 2p-1u
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>3 proofs 1 Unc

My usual spouse order is 2p-1u >>

Wow, I didn't know that you had collected the entire series. Very cool!!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait till they get done with the engraving and see what the quality of this coin might be. Highly suspect IMO. The FDR was worse than bad, although a male figure.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not even if it were the last coin ever.....the hag series is horrible ....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this were being offered to the general public it might be a top seller ... but ... just about the only people who will even be aware it is available are coin collectors ... and I doubt that they are serious Jackie Kennedy fans ... just flippers.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pass

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options

<< <i>If this were being offered to the general public it might be a top seller ... but ... just about the only people who will even be aware it is available are coin collectors ... and I doubt that they are serious Jackie Kennedy fans ... just flippers. >>

Great point. The Mint would likely do well to advertise this one in non-numismatic media. Of course, they won't.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, that would be a no.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    There are way too many of the Mint's endless releases to expect price support.

Fewer, more quality, better.

More, lesser quality, bad.

MHO

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for the PR/MS. I'm collecting the series (evidently Msmorrisine are the only people in the country doing that). image
  • Options
    reddwingreddwing Posts: 137 ✭✭
    I see the release date is June 15th. So, i may be in for one unc and one proof. Sadly, these moderns are some of the ugliest coins I have ever seen.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have zero interest in modern mint products. I'll leave them to the flippers.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pass

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not me! I'M DONE WITH THE MINT. >>

Oh Man! I never thought I read this!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    On the fence. Likely in for one proof and one UNC in separate orders. Will hold till the last day for returns and will decide then whether or not to keep based on sales. I just find it hard to imagine that w/30k mintage it will ever go for much over spot. Will h interesting to see how sales go.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet Dimeman is in for a dozen. image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bet Dimeman is in for a dozen. image >>

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the National Theatre in September 1962 with her husband.
    Photograph by Abbie Rowe, National Park Service, in the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum, Boston.

Now that 1962 pantsuit says Hillary ain't got nothin' on Jackie O

Hope the Mint incorporates the First Lady Pantsuit craze. image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>pass <<<

+1

I hate moderns.......and I hate the hag series even more!!
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll try for one of each, PF & MS

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not even if it were the last coin ever.....the hag series is horrible ....Cheers, RickO >>

Classic!!! The best laugh of the day!

I'm out!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet Dimeman is in for a dozen.image

I doubt that. He "hates" them. After all, why collect Modern Bullion when you can pay 400X Face just to add .07234 oz. of silver to your registry set.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>
    I bet Dimeman is in for a dozen.

I doubt that. He "hates" them. After all, why collect Modern Bullion when you can pay 400X Face just to add .07234 oz. of silver to your registry set. <<<

Sorry, but $40 wouldn't buy many of my Registry Dimes. Maybe a few Roosies......which are moderns!!image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could be tempted, but if the artwork is up to the usual bureaucratic stuff, they might well make Jackie Kennedy look like Eleanor Roosevelt or Millard Fillmore. If so, I'll definitely pass. Here is a campaign button from 1960.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for a BU example. If they really look good I'll also get a Proof.

• Options
    I might as well ask. Which spouse coin to date is absolutely the ugliest? I vote for Eleanor (and i hate doing it as I personally admired her).
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>After all, why collect Modern Bullion when you can pay 400X Face just to add .07234 oz. of silver to your registry set. <<<

Sorry, but $40 wouldn't buy many of my Registry Dimes. Maybe a few Roosies......which are moderns!! image

Ah, my mistake. I actually meant 4000X melt, just to add .07234 oz. of silver to your registry set. $1.24 in metal. image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I might as well ask. Which spouse coin to date is absolutely the ugliest? I vote for Eleanor (and i hate doing it as I personally admired her). >>

So many are not good looking that it's probably easier to ask which are somewhat attractive. It's pretty much a waste of time to
    even think of this series in terms of beauty. The term " first hags" didn't appear out of pure meaness.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I might as well ask. Which spouse coin to date is absolutely the ugliest? I vote for Eleanor (and i hate doing it as I personally admired her). >>

So many are not good looking that it's probably easier to ask which are somewhat attractive. It's pretty much a waste of time to
    even think of this series in terms of beauty. The term " first hags" didn't appear out of pure meaness. >>

The Julia Tyler looked nice.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mamie looks really, really bad.

I'm down to only one spouse--- a FS MS70 Coolidge. I wouldn't mind getting more of the series as they pop up on the cheap raw or MS69.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    The mint web site has a new release date of June 25th.
  • Options
    Personally I'm looking for an initial sellout in 5 minutes. Probably they will only have 5,000 struck and packaged for first day sales.
    The more limited they look, the better sales will be.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    even if they go to back order fast, these will be like the gold kennedy half dollars.

they will sell well on the mint web site, but they will be duds on the secondary markets.

I hope flippers fall all over themselves making and selling pcgs first strikes in 69 and 70. I want some bargains (below cost).

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way!

Although I admire and respect Jackie completely; I am not into that series or moderns, in general.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Will Jacqueline get any mainstream press coverage? If so, there might well be huge demand.

If not, then demand might not require the Mint to exercise the 30k product limit.

Anyone got any predictions?
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone got any predictions? >>

My guesses:

Mintage limit reached by August.
    First run will backorder within 6 hours. Rest of the orders filled by end of September.

If 40% of the Kennedy gold buyers want the finished "set", Jackie mintage limit is reached.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I will buy a proof and put it next to my JFK gold coin.image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I do need to buy a first spouse for my type set, but the only one I liked is the Andrew Jackson’s Liberty First Spouse. image

But so far I've convinced myself it doesn't qualify as a coin since it wasn't intended to circulate, but I have other commemoratives so I guess I need to be consistent. image

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    If nothing else, at least I can say Hillary is one happy momma. Would she make a good President? I can't see why not.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good president? "I can't see why not." >>

Except for the fact that

- Her foundation takes money from foreign governments when she was Secretary of State.
    - Her foundation takes money from corporations and private individuals when she has great influence over public policy that effects their interests.
    - She dropped the ball on the Bengausy attack and did not send security aid to our ambassador when he desperately needed.
    - She lied about the Bengsusy attack with a phony story about a video and stuck to it even though she knew the truth.
    - She has presided over one of the worst period for our foreign policy as Secretary of State.

Have you not kept up with the news?
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Lets not beat around the bush, in her first presidency, things were quite good in this country. There's no denying that.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do need to buy a first spouse for my type set, but the only one I liked is the Andrew Jackson’s Liberty First Spouse. image

But so far I've convinced myself it doesn't qualify as a coin since it wasn't intended to circulate, but I have other commemoratives so I guess I need to be consistent. image

image >>

I just picked up a ms69 proof AJ spouse for spot. Patience on these .9999 gold nicer stacking material.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked Jackie, hated her husband, but will pass on this coin.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I do need to buy a first spouse for my type set, but the only one I liked is the Andrew Jackson’s Liberty First Spouse. image

image >>

I just picked up a ms69 proof AJ spouse for spot. Patience on these .9999 gold nicer stacking material. >>

Nice score, I think I want one...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options

<< <i> in her first presidency >>

LMAO!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

I just picked up a ms69 proof AJ spouse for spot. Patience on these .9999 gold nicer stacking material. >>

Nice score, I think I want one... >>

LOVE the Lib Subset!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I have absolutely no interest in the First Spouse Coins.

As it is, I can stand to even look at the Kennedy Presidential Dollar that comes in the proof set. WTH was the Mint thinking?

Kennedy is the only one that looks like he came straight out of a Garfield Cartoon! Complete with bulgy bug eyes.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file