Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll - How often do you buy a Red book?

I got a 2015 (spiral bound) since I hadn't bought one since 2012.
I like the format of this one better, but I doubt much content has changed as I don't use it as a price guide.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy one every year on average. I've never actually purchased a current red book though, the other day I found a 1970 edition at Savers for $3 and I grabbed it.

I'm filling up a shelf slowly with them and I have an idea that it might be useful to see old prices . I haven't acted on the idea though and probably won't get around to it anytime soon.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    every year, even though I know it really doesn't matter
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I found a 1970 edition at Savers for $3 and I grabbed it. >>

The Red Book also now tracks prices of older Red Books
    A 1970 is worth $3 - $11, based on condition of course.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It used to be every quarter century or so but then they started updating moderns so it's
    every five or ten years. If they fixed the pricing then I'd have to buy it every year.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 1981 and a 1999, so I guess next year I might buy the 2017 edition... then again, maybe not, as I do not collect 21st century coins.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a 1981 and a 1999, so I guess next year I might buy the 2017 edition... then again, maybe not, as I do not collect 21st century coins. >>

I think I have a 1966 edition if you want to go in the other direction It's worth about $5 I bet. If you want I'll list it on the BST for you for $22.50 and bump the thread once a day until it sells image
  • Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭
    I have 1964 & 1991. Might be time.

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to buy one every year back in the '70's.....bought a couple in the 80's....then never bought another until I saw
    the large format spiral edition in 2009 at show and priced cheap, so I bought it.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a current one I got last summer, but I'm not into moderns and I use other sources for pricing, so I don't foresee needing to get another any time soon.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm cleaning my shelf - saving the oldest and newest, and tossing out 6 between 1971-1991.
    All were from yard sales about 20 years ago.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the first 50, then several since. I buy the new one when it ages down to $2-3. So, I buy 5-10 year old new copies. Book people are weird. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    One somehow finds its way onto my shelf every decade or so.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Plan to buy the NEW book version Whitman is releasing this April. Listing for $50, but can be had for about $30. Steveimage
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought my first Red Book as a teenager in 1965, and practically memorized it. I continued to buy them every year through the mid-70's. I now buy one about every 5 years. I don't believe the prices are particularly accurate, but they still have lots of useful information. When I worked in a coin shop in the early 1980's, a customer sold me his old Red Books from the 1950's. I wish I had a time machine and could buy coins at those prices!

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About every decade+ or so. 1981, 1998, and then in 2012 I got a free one from Teletrade. It will be quite some time before I get another I imagine. I don't collect moderns so I have very little need for it beyond curiosity...and for the curiosity I can pick one up at a book store to take a glance. Within my specialty I know way more than is published in the Red Book...or specialty books for that matter!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never.

I have a few I bought years ago but the prices are so far off the only reason to have one is for quick reference material. Whenever I go to an auction and someone brings one with them I make a note of who the dumbest person in the room is.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Never.

I have a few I bought years ago but the prices are so far off the only reason to have one is for quick reference material. Whenever I go to an auction and someone brings one with them I make a note of who the dumbest person in the room is. >>

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy one every year, but for a strange reason. I like to know what the public thinks things are worth.

Most of my coins come from public/estate/antique auctions locally. Although a few of us use greysheet, most of the folks I bid against have a redbook with them. It helps to know what they think a coin may be worth to plan bidding strategy at times.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Never.

I have a few I bought years ago but the prices are so far off the only reason to have one is for quick reference material. Whenever I go to an auction and someone brings one with them I make a note of who the dumbest person in the room is. >>

Ouch. No need to get personal. Oh well, I guess I'll never fit in with your Mensa friends.

I suppose if I only collected one series like Statehood Quarters there would be no need to pull it out of the plastic grocery bag for a consult.

I'm interested in anything from Colonials to Commems to Bullion.

That's the curse of being a type collector. Being an intermediate collector, there is no way I can cast everything to memory.

Most of the coins in the auctions I attend are raw.
    A few of the reasons the Red Book would come out are:

1. What is that wore out piece of copper? Is it a Rosa Americana or a Virginia Halfpenny?

2. Mintage stats. Probably most used feature.

3. The ever popular "Red Book Varieties".

4. If silver is at $17/oz., what is the silver value of 35 War Nickels or 20 silver clad halves.

5. Lots of other reasons, other than prices, but I've probably embarrassed myself enough.

Edit to answer the op. Every 3 years or so.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the past, I purchased one every year....but in the last decade, I have been purchasing them every two years....seems to work for me. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy one every year because I have one of the year classic bound set and like to maintain it. The book is good for mintages, general information and guesstimate prices on coins and tokens that are not in the main stream, like colonials and the like.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the 8 years I've been back into collecting I've purchased 3 copies so I voted "Every 3 years".

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About once per decade.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one. Somewhere. I only use it when evaluating a large raw collection to pick out keys. Everything else is easier to find on the Internet.
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Embarrased......I just donated a 1960-1988 run to Goodwill
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once every few years....the prices are just general enough for me and if I wait a while there will be some new text. I always get the spiral bound large print...

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 508 ✭✭✭
    I usually get one at ANA Summer Seminar. I am excited to see the new expanded edition that comes out soon!

Numismatist @WitterCoin

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My most recent edition is 1978
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a complete set.
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Have quite a few going back to ~ 1960 Several gaps of 3-5 years. Just bougth 2014, last was 2012. Quick reference in a hobby that encompasses so much, well orgainizied and presented, good photography.
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Added an option for the 2016 massive edition
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to supplies in the shop, 12 per year was never enough to last the year. And I don't push 'em.
    It's what I call "The Good Book" in numismatics. image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    every 4 or maybe 5 years works for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file