Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Leonard Nimoy (Mr Spock) dies today at age 83 ... post your space related coins

Very Sad News ...

Leonard Nimoy, the sonorous, gaunt-faced actor who won a worshipful global following as Mr. Spock, the resolutely logical human-alien first officer of the Starship Enterprise in the television and movie juggernaut “Star Trek,” died on Friday morning at his home in the Bel Air section of Los Angeles. He was 83. His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed his death, saying the cause was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Mr. Nimoy announced that he had the disease last year, attributing it to years of smoking, a habit he had given up three decades earlier. He had been hospitalized earlier in the week.

His artistic pursuits — poetry, photography and music in addition to acting — ranged far beyond the United Federation of Planets, but it was as Mr. Spock that Mr. Nimoy became a folk hero, bringing to life one of the most indelible characters of the last half century: a cerebral, unflappable, pointy-eared Vulcan with a signature salute and blessing: “Live long and prosper” (from the Vulcan “Dif-tor heh smusma”).

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry to hear of this. I enjoyed his acting and his announcer's work immensely. He will be greatly missed.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Very sad. I loved that show as a kid.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP...Mr. Spock.
  • Options
    Having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    RIP Mr Spock
  • Options
    I'm very sorry to hear this, he was quite a unique actor with his many and varied talents. He was also a talented artist and I'm sure we will be hearing about his many other talents.

His last tweet: "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My sister Susan had a character in "Star Trek: The Next Generation", and often crossed paths with Leonard at Star Trek Conventions, which she usually shyed away from.
    Leonard was a proud but humble master of his craft.
    "Yeder mentsh vaist az er vet shtarben, ober kainer vil es nisht gloiben."

("Every man knows he will die, but no one wants to believe it")

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leonard Nimoy, RIP

Before "Star Trek" he was the guest star in a "Gunsmoke" episode "The Treasure of John Walking Fox".

Leonard Nimoy as "John Walking Fox"

Posted here as there was an octagonal coin in the episode:
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=901389

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good man, Good actor. I enjoyed watching him as a kid. He will be missed.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Sad news, he was and will continue to be one of my favorite actors and narrators. LLAP (Live Long And Prosper) Here is a small but good article :

GOODBYE, OLD FRIEND02.27.15
    Spock’s Voyage Home: Farewell To Leonard Nimoy
    Leonard Nimoy was our beloved Mr. Spock—a role that defined a long and prosperous film and TV career.
    When Leonard Nimoy titled his 1975 autobiography I Am Not Spock, some Star Trek fans took it as an insult, thinking Nimoy was trying to distance himself from the role that made him famous. Nothing could have been further from the truth. Rarely does an actor get a chance to play a character as memorable as the starship Enterprise’s Mr. Spock: a superior intellect with a cool demeanor, a casual courage, and a fierce sense of loyalty.

Nimoy appreciated the opportunity when he was cast in the original Star Trek pilot back in 1964, and it was his performance as Spock over the next five years—playing the half-Vulcan scientist with confidence and a deadpan wit—that made Spock such a pop culture icon. Nimoy titled his second autobiography I Am Spock, to clear up any confusion. And right up until his death earlier today, Nimoy signed nearly all of his personal correspondence with “LLAP,” meaning, “live long and prosper,” Spock’s motto.

And yet Nimoy really wasn’t Spock—or at least, he wasn’t just Spock. By the time he put on the pointy ears for the first time at age 33, he’d already been in over 20 television series and a half-dozen movies. Nimoy started acting as a child in Boston, and was working steadily not long after he arrived in Hollywood in the early 1950s. At a time when TV was jammed with Westerns, war dramas, and cop shows, Nimoy was a go-to guest star, prized for his lanky frame, his sharp facial features, and his deep, raspy voice. He made an instant impression, and excelled at playing exotic characters and imposing goons.

After Star Trek, Nimoy continued to make use of his innate alien-ness. His most prominent post-Spock part was as a magician and master of disguise on the spy series Mission: Impossible; and children of the 1970s would come to know Nimoy as the host of the chilling In Search Of… documentaries, where his authoritative narration helped make the supernatural seem plausible. His last major acting job was as a recurring character on Fox’s cult science-fiction series Fringe, where Nimoy played one of a pair of well-meaning mad scientists whose inventions nearly destroy the universe. To the end, he used his acting career to get people thinking about technology, humanity, and responsibility.

To the end, he used his acting career to get people thinking about technology, humanity, and responsibility.
    Nimoy also developed a reputation over the decades as something of a renaissance man. He recorded a string of charmingly odd albums in the 1960s and 1970s, mixing novelty songs, pop covers, and sops to science-fiction/fantasy fans (like the infamous “The Ballad Of Bilbo Baggins”). He became a respected photographer, and took his keen eye with him when he began dabbling in directing for movies and television.

And late in life especially, Nimoy embraced the persona of the gentle philosopher, using his Twitter feed to spread a message of peace and compassion. Decades after the original series of Star Trek ended, some of the cast members would look back on those years—and on the movies that followed in the 1980s and 1990s—and talk about the personality conflicts that kept some actors from speaking to each other for years. But Nimoy largely stayed above the fray, remaining friendly with nearly everybody, and especially with the show’s notoriously pr-i-ck-ly star, William Shatner.

All of this was very much in line with Nimoy’s most popular character. It’s a role he seemed to grow into throughout his life, first on-screen—where Spock became more lovable and believable with each new episode and each new movie—and then in Nimoy’s interactions with peers and fans. Even when Nimoy was diagnosed with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), he seemed to take it in stride, using his impending death as an occasion to warn against the dangers of smoking and to encourage his fans to be good to each other. If he’d been able to write one last autobiography, Nimoy could’ve called it I Tried My Best To Be Spock. And more often than not, he succeeded.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Live Long and Prosper - he did indeed! Sad to hear of his passing, but aren't we lucky to have had his talents!

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sad today... ST the original series was my favorite as a kid- and upon hearing of Leonard Nimoy's death I immediately thought of a quote from Kirk's eulogy for Spock in the second ST movie...

"Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

RIP

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    He advanced the vital character "Spock" during the 1960s when the whole rock-drug-sex counterculture was so aggressive in the larger American culture. As computers were making inroads into people's everyday lives he represented the power of rationality augmented by computers and technology in an irrational, emotional, instinct-driven world. No one will ever forget the the force of unrelenting rationality in all the original three season episodes. Of course he was type-cast for life by the Spock character, but was also financially benefited by it. I read "The Making of Star Trek" and "The World of Star Trek" with lots of background information. And few would remember all the unmade episodes that James Blish wrote like "Spock, Messiah!" Very imaginative stuff in that whole Sci Fi genre, and we would be better off with more people driven by right reason and determined justice.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once owned a Republic Pictures one sheet from 1952 for one of their popular serials... Zombies of the Stratosphere. I think that was one of Nimoy's earliest works

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad... I liked Star Trek very much... it gave life to the imagined worlds beyond our own. RIP Mr. Nimoy. RickO
  • Options
    Live long and prosper, Spock, I would say I am sad, but it is "not logical" to feel any emotional pain.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file