Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A couple oldies but goodies

Good afternoon forum folk. Hope this finds everyone enjoying the weather on the West coast and warm and safe around the rest of the country.

Had some time today to work on some long term projects, including the biggest project of writing up all the coins in the collection, which includes making sure that they have side by side pictures in the standard format I have used for so long.

To get an idea of frequency that I do this, one only need notice that both of these coins took 8 years to finish. Where does the time go? image

These two were in the first group of coins I bought from MacCrimmon in 2007 towards the beginning of my Swiss collecting journey that Andy Lustig drug me into while I was still living in Hawaii.

Enjoy the pics and write ups and any conversation it may provoke. image

Comments

• Options
    an area I know nothing about, but beautiful coins with enjoyable write ups, simply lovely toning on both very well struck coins

=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about mints, but some of the private Swiss banks were having their banknotes printed by American Banknote company and have some of the loveliest designs on European banknotes from that time.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These two are very nice examples. The write-ups are also neat. I hope
    to see more. The 1R is my favorite. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coins with great presentation.

I like the Swiss coin designs and have a few myself, but did not really appreciate the elegance of the 1 Rappen design until seeing yours.

Thank you for sharing this.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!

Added some new ones too. Knocking out some fun stuff on a snowy day.

John
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Eye candy and very original write up. Thanks for sharing John.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins and presentations. Well done.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    In 1982 or thereabouts I saw my first 1880s 5 rappen coin at a Pullen & Hanks auction in Ft. Worth. ...... LOVE AT FIRST SITE !!!

They were stuck at the back off the auction in the Misc./Rolls/etc. section, and mostly grouped in twos, threes, and fours depending on the dates. I paid maybe $20-30 for each lot, and I think some dealers were quite annoyed because I kept buying them, even multiples of the same dates. Great fun was had by all; well, at least me. image

Your musings, John, on that 1881 5R are spot on. At the time I marveled at how the arguably superior Swiss engravings and strikes sold for a pittance compared to their US cousins. Oh yeah, back then you could get ~2 francs per dollar. I should have visited Zurich then. image
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins and your write-ups are a great read. You have a great eye!