Is a PM forum participant Happy?

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well?

Interpret the question as you will, it's meant to be general

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote mostly , if half the idiots in my own family would relocate far away from me I'd vote delirious
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted "mostly" !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the "if the wife isn't jealous of the accused girlfriends, liquid therapists, muses, or the variable combinations of the above" type responses?
  • Options
    I voted very happy. I just retired last year, I'm healthy, not rich but comfortable and no problem people in my life. To be honest though it doesn't take that much to make me happy. Getting up in the morning to a cup of coffee and the sunshine hitting my face is a great start. I always try to look at what I have instead of what I don't have.
  • Options
    I also voted mostly..... Retired 3 yrs ago. Been stacking since 1972 both buying and selling. Play Texas Hold-em poker for a hobby and buy my eagles with profits from that wonderful game. Even started getting SS checks. Like X-Mas once a month

Life is good

Tom
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Every day I wake up and my feet hit the floor is another day on the green side of the grass.
    Every day is a blessing.
    I have a great family, friends and enough of everything I desire.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted Meh.

Financially speaking I'm fine, perhaps better than most middle-class Americans.
    My health could be better, that's for certain, but I think it's life in general that leaves me feeling Meh.

There is no nice way to say this. I find myself frequently annoyed by the general stupidity and selfishness of people in everyday life.
    I find that there are few who have any common sense and fewer still who give a hoot about anyone other than themselves.

I am at that stage in life were my kids no longer "need" me at all times. However I don't have something else to fill that void of time, at least not yet anyway.
    Work is not particularly rewarding anymore, I think I'm getting old before my time. I feel old. I feel tired.

I long for the days when friends were friends and you knew your neighbors. A time when people were still considerate of each other, and I'm just talking about basic consideration here.

I ask myself sometimes, What happened to life?, What happened to this country? Where is this world headed? All while thanking god that I at least was able to catch the tail end of "the good old days". Something I suspect my kids will not even be able to comprehend, as its so alien to what's going on in the world today.

I am not a doomsayer, I don't think the sky is falling, it's more of a case of disappointment that we let things get this bad.

I try to live responsibly, raise my kids right, work hard and extend kindness to others, I am a dinosaur - Extinction is on the horizon.

JC

Spell edit
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Very, here.

Aging does have it's problems......ugh.

Plus daughter and two grandkids moved in after their home burned down.....

Was not planning on 5 in a two bedroom, 1150 sq ft home....a bit cramped and it affects the BP.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I get too happy I open a Glicker thread. Boom, out go the lights

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    where is glocker?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whenever I get too happy I open a Glicker thread. Boom, out go the lights

MJ >>

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you like Andy Rooney? I did and agree with his quote:

<< <i>“For most of life, nothing wonderful happens. If you don’t enjoy getting up and working and finishing your work and sitting down to a meal with family or friends, then the chances are that you’re not going to be very happy. If someone bases his happiness or unhappiness on major events like a great new job, huge amounts of money, a flawlessly happy marriage or a trip to Paris, that person isn't going to be happy much of the time. If, on the other hand, happiness depends on a good breakfast, flowers in the yard, a drink or a nap, then we are more likely to live with quite a bit of happiness.” >>

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very blessed, and very happy.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I am very happy. Just signed a contract to sell my house and am retired in the beautiful south. My health is good and I am far from the crazy relatives, but have my wonderful wife! I don't let the crazy people and their various agendas bother me and have found a community where people care about each other.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Choose to be happy or choose not to.. It is your choice and only yours
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I voted Meh but could also go mostly as well. I like my job but wouldn't mind a higher pay. I'm a little high on CC debt, but my trip to see my girlfriend later will be worth it. I'm in good health and have family and friends. My biggest thing is just seeing society go slowly down the toilet. Working downtown in a bigger city doesn't help much either.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Not because I'm doing well. Or no because of health problems. Or because of PMs or of bills. Not because of having this or not having that.

I'm content. I see myself separate from things, situations, thoughts. I'm aware enough to self correct as desired, and to notice my limited view.

Everything around me is a reflection of me, so I should at least be content with it.
    COA
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Happy go Luckyimageimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. I can identify with almost every comment that's already been made in this thread. I wish I had my old friends closer at hand. I have a good family around me that keeps life interesting. I can't afford to retire because I'm at the top of my game and yet, I want to retire because I'm slowly wearing down. Some of my plans get a wrench thrown into the works, no matter how well I've planned ahead.

I never liked Sinatra, but he did have some points:

"That's life, that's what people say
    You're riding high in April,
    Shot down in May
    But I know I'm gonna change that tune,
    When I'm back on top, back on top in June

I said, that's life, and as funny as it may seem
    Some people get their kicks,
    Stompin' on a dream
    But I don't let it, let it get me down,
    'Cause this fine old world it keeps spinnin' around

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate,
    A poet, a pawn and a king
    I've been up and down and over and out
    And I know one thing:
    Each time I find myself flat on my face,
    I pick myself up and get back in the race "
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I voted "Mostly", only because I keep thinking there should be something better out there.
    Then when I think about changing something, I realize I like it the way it is..
    On the back of my Jeep, the spare tire cover says "Life is Good"
    so, I'll stick with that :-)
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted Mostly, my family and my health is fine and that is the most important thing to me, finances are great as well as work and homelife. Ofcourse things could be better but no complaints, I feel very fortunate to be where Im at.

Personally I think that anyone that goes on and on about everything being perfect with all sunshines and rainbows is either lying or dillusional image
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone is happy all of the time, but yes, Happy.

I would guess most here are all relatively fortunate on this board, if we have a little money to buy coins, invest or stack shiny objects, then that's a better personal economy than many have and we should be thankful. I've gotten my job to a point I don't make as much money as I used to, but my stress and work load are down. We are not rich, but it's great to have what what you need financially, anything beyond that is probably not the cause of happiness. It is the other things family...not the crazy ones (well maybe even them on a very limited basis) friends, leisure, fishing for me, used to enjoy golf more, but it's a love hate relationship and now mostly hate, hello Tiger, watching my college team and of course food. I must admit, my wife is a great cook and she loves to feed me, the family( our daughter is grown with to great kids) and my friends. I have found a good home cooked meal is probably the elixir for most things in life, I think she has ruined me. I'd be nutz to say I wasn't happy or fortunate, even though I know we all get a little nutty at times ;~
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Well. this PMer is mostly happy. Retired a couple of years ago but still doing consulting. Very active and healthy. Getting the annuity check and Med parts c and d from my old job, got the SS, making silly consultant buks, kids are all doing good, looks like it's "Steady as she goes." Stacking a little, buying an equity or so here and there, volunteering some, going to the dog track for fun and spending a lot of time with tai chi. I love it when a plan comes together. Party on, Garth.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very content. In our economic system/structure there is always financial oppurtunity, even in a train wreck.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted happy btw, don't want you guys thinking I was complaining...especially the spies. Ha!
  • Options
    What Musky said... +1
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This actually happened on the phone in the shop today. I'll tell the story and you tell me how I answered the poll.

Re: American Gold Eagle

How did you impact a stranger's life today ? (funny you should ask)

A man called on the phone and said he wanted to buy some gold, just in case.
    I asked: "What is your long term plan ? "
    He said, "Well I'm 70 years old".
    I said, "Well you better hurry".
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had written about 2 paragraphs but deleted. You guys dont need to know me that me well.

I'll just stick with mostly.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more amused. The PM function is hard on my stomach tonight. Thanks to a forum participant.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's easy to look back at the past through rose-colored glasses~truth is, there were both good and bad, generous and selfish people back then, too. I think technology has definitely enabled individuals to become more removed from personal interaction, if not personal contact, but there are many great people and friends out there today, too. 40 years ago, older people said the same thing about younger people as those now older people say about the younger people of today.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... very happy..... retired, but in demand and can choose when and if I want to do it - likely not going to do it anymore. Healthy, comfortable and several hobbies.... life is good... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I answered mostly. My wife and family is amazing and 2014 was financially our best year ever, but we'll probably top that this year the way things have started. Even at 41 I have my grumpy "get off my lawn" moments but all in all life is good and we are blessed.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I answered mostly. My wife and family is amazing and 2014 was financially our best year ever, but we'll probably top that this year the way things have started. Even at 41 I have my grumpy "get off my lawn" moments but all in all life is good and we are blessed. >>

Are you self employed or working for "the man"?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I answered mostly. My wife and family is amazing and 2014 was financially our best year ever, but we'll probably top that this year the way things have started. Even at 41 I have my grumpy "get off my lawn" moments but all in all life is good and we are blessed. >>

Are you self employed or working for "the man"? >>

We both work for "the man".
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy? It's tax season. image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    Had written about 2 paragraphs but deleted. You guys dont need to know me that me well.

I'll just stick with mostly.

Yeah, I've written and not posted a number of sentences, also saying Mostly in more or less detail...

At any rate, a good thread to TTT as there are many thoughts that most of us agree with already said.

Five years later, I hope we can answer mostly or very happy, or are taking purposeful action to improve our circumstances.

I'm at or closing in on some crossroads, with job and possibly residence changes in the near future, of course thankfully enjoying life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. "Happy 2020!"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes im reasonably terrible :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Five years later, still happily retired.... Well, mostly... doing firearms instructing now, but that is more hobby than work... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rent is too high, the power bill is too high, the water bill is too high, the car payment is too high, the price of living is too high, the medical bills are too high, and the cable company are crooks, besides that, I'm doing great!!

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn’t be happier. My daughters are both healthy and starting their own lives. I’m married to the best woman on this planet. I enjoy going to work everyday. No financial stressors. What more can I ask for?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

They used to call me

two minus three,

because I was

the negative one.

Now they call me

three minus two

as every day

I start anew.

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

Other than some miserable sports teams, life in Wingsville is great. Family doing well and granddaughter just loves grandpa!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m happy if I wake up in the morning and still know who I am.