Home Sports Talk
Options

Terrible call....nothing to challange....catch all the way.....

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
AND THEY CALL IT A NO CATCH!!!!!!!

THAT IS THE ABSOLUTE MOST TERRIBLE IGNORANT CATCH I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!

THERE WAS NOTHING TO ChALLAGE..... IT WAS A CATCH!!!!!

THE REFS LITERALLY GAVE THIS GAME TO GB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Just like they gave it to Dallas last week

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Buh bye Dallas. How do you like them apples Dezzy?

• Options
    NOT THE SAME AT ALL!!!!!!
  • Options
    Doesn't matter what you say. Game Over. Cowboys are going home.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proper call...ball hit ground on way down...no catch. That is the rule. See Megatron from couple years back.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    Dimeman it is almost like you do not even know the rules. Dez was required to maintain control going to the ground, he did not.

Robb
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Cowboys had a great season, shocking many.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    TRY to look at it objectively. Just try.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dez is also supposed to keep his helmet on I thought ? He got away with wandering out without it last week and did the same thing this time.

• Options
    Guys the ball never hit the ground.....his arm hit the ground.....the ball popped up and he got it again. The ball never touched the ground.

Worse call I have EVER seen!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!
  • Options
    What's the odds Dez gets arrested tonight ?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys the ball never hit the ground.....his arm hit the ground.....the ball popped up and he got it again. The ball never touched the ground.

Worse call I have EVER seen!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!! >>

Lions fans know how you feel. It hit the ground by the way

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Since I'm a camera guy video has sure changed the world of football and baseball games. There's at least 30 cameras covering these games and they don't miss much. Ball hit the ground.
  • Options
    The ball was above his arm when it came out......never touched the ground.....and he maintained control.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    seriously people. 4th and TWO. a slant pass woulda worked. quickie to Witten??? how much time was left to finish a game-winning drive? forget the debate about whether Dez caught the ball or not. gutsy decision to go there. but not smart. Dallas SHOULD HAVE tried to give themselves another 4 downs. hindsight sucks. good game, tho.
  • Options

<< <i>What's the odds Dez gets arrested tonight ? >>

what are the odds the OP has a mini stroke by night's end?

That was one heck of an 'almost' catch, though. It did hit the ground, btw.
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    Dimeman I think you need a new TV. First you fail to see a Packer WR clearly get two feet in bounds on a catch at the end of the first half and now you fail to see the football hit the ground.

Of course the Dallas D could have stopped the Packers at any point after the call was reversed. You should be upset that your D never gave the offense another chance it is not like the play happened with no time left on the clock (there were over 4 minutes left when Green Bay got the ball).

Robb
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To all Dallas Cowboy fans...EXCEPT Dimeman.

You've got a great football team, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten where you are. Tough thing about sports, somebody's gotta lose, and sometimes it all hinges on a play or two. Game could have gone either way, but it didn't go your way today. Congrats on a great performance!

To Dimeman...suck it up. You're nothing but a whiner and a poor sport to boot. You'll b*tch and moan about the Dez catch for the next year and thereafter...learn some sportsmanship in the off season...and grow a pair for next year.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Great game. I'm a Dallas fan. I thought it was a catch. To me the football move was the stretch to the goal line. It's a judgement call and I obviously would have preferred they stuck with call/judgement on field. I truly believe I would think this way for any team...unless it happened against Dallas...LOL. That being said, we couldn't stop them on 3rd down, we didn't stop them in their final drive, and I think we'd have lost anyway...but I'd have liked to see it play out. Solid season though. Think I'm pulling for GB from here.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    The ball was in his arm when he hit the ground. He maintained control and ended up the ball with the ball never touching the ground (out of his arm).

If he had been sliding out od bounds while doing this......yes it's a no catch. But as soon as he goes down with the ball.....the play is dead.

If this is not a catch by some silly wording in the rules.......the rule should be changed. Because as this happened....it was a catch!

If I was the coach or Dez and was interviewed.........I would be paying a HUGE fine......HUGE!!!!!
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    My Ravens got beat last night due to various reason , mainly getting outplayed by the Patriots . We had a long season of crappy calls , sometimes going our way , sometimes not .

From a sports standpoint , this was a VERY GOOD weekend for football . My Ravens lost but DAMMMM it was a good game .

What I do know is that tomorrow , the sun is going to rise . I'm still going to love my wife and children . The same cares and concerns will be there , as they are everyday . If my Ravens had won , all the things that make my world go , will still be there .

Dimeman , the same as with my Ravens , time to think about next year . ---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    According to the rules, the ground cannot cause a fumble, but the ground can cause an incomplete pass.
  • Options

<< <i>The ball was in his arm when he hit the ground. He maintained control and ended up the ball with the ball never touching the ground (out of his arm).

If he had been sliding out od bounds while doing this......yes it's a no catch. But as soon as he goes down with the ball.....the play is dead.

If this is not a catch by some silly wording in the rules.......the rule should be changed. Because as this happened....it was a catch!

If I was the coach or Dez and was interviewed.........I would be paying a HUGE fine......HUGE!!!!! >>

You need a new TV. Reception is bad. Your comments on the Cobb catch on the side lines at the end of the first half is a classic. No one on the planet would say that wasn't a catch, except for you and maybe some of the Cowboy nation.

You need to learn the rules. Even if the rule is somewhat lame. Same call that went against Calvin Johnson vs the Bears a few years back. The rule hasn't changed.

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    If the score had been reversed and Jordy Nelson makes the same 'catch', I believe the OP would have been just as apoplectic if it had been ruled a completion.
  • Options
    The head of the NFL Officials weighs in

No catch

Now that this is settled. Time to move on.

MJ
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The ball was in his arm when he hit the ground. He maintained control and ended up the ball with the ball never touching the ground (out of his arm).

If I was the coach or Dez and was interviewed.........I would be paying a HUGE fine......HUGE!!!!! >>

You honestly don't think the ball hit the ground? You honestly think the ground hit his arm that caused the ball to pop up? I actually like Dallas (being Larry Allen's team) but I think it's pretty clear the ball hit the ground. At least to me.

However, most importantly, as above said... suck it up. Being a sports fan can suck at times. I have friends here in Sac who still complain about the 2002 NBA playoffs. Heck the ref from that debacle ended up in jail! However, it is what it is. Just win the game and the refs don't matter and when you lose move on.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Proper call...ball hit ground on way down...no catch. That is the rule. See Megatron from couple years back. >>

+1
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Dimeman, I think you're going to have to stand alone on this one. You are looking with your heart, not your eyes. The ball hit the ground.

Even if the catch stood, and even if Dallas scored a TD immediately after, there was still LOTS of time left. I seriously doubt that the defense would have stopped GB from scoring, although we'll never know. It's all moot, though. The ball hit the ground and they got it right on review.

Losing stinks, but I can live with it when I know the Cowboys didn't beat themselves. The coaches could have made some better decisions and the players could have executed better, but those are the things (coaching & execution) that make a team what it is. GB was simply better today.

I'm proud of the effort the Cowboys gave today, and I'm pleased with this season; I expected them to win no more than 5 games before it started. Let's hope they can build on this one and improve some next year.
    Brett
  • Options

<< <i>At the beginning of the season they said the Cowboys had no chance of making the playoffs this year.

Back in my day that was a catch, but the rules have changed, so no catch. >>

Hate the rule

MJ
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First. I am no Cowboy or Packer fan. I preferred the Packers would win for a better match up next week. Second, whatever the heck that rule is it needs to be done away with this off season. I saw a brilliant catch followed by three steps and a dive for the goal line. Three steps are not a football move? Diving for the goal line is not a football move? Dallas got screwed big time. Karma truly is hell.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>At the beginning of the season they said the Cowboys had no chance of making the playoffs this year.

Back in my day that was a catch, but the rules have changed, so no catch. >>

Agreed. Any rule that calls that a no catch needs to be changed...but I honestly don't know how you'd word the rule. And while I'm a Cowboys fan, who still suspects we may have lost anyway, I don't feel I'm being a homer in my evaluation.

To me, he caught it, stretched for the goal (football move) and upon hitting the ground for the spot, lost it. The ground didn't aid his catch. It was a fabulous effort.

And I think there are a lot of anti-Cowboys relishing the call, whether it's due to the call last week in which they benefitted, or just a disdain for the team, and many suggestions to remove our fan bias, I ask the same. That's you that made the "catch", or your team...are you still so steadfast in your support of the no-catch review.

If a football move is a judgement call and there's an onfield ref right there who calls it a catch, and the ground did not aid him, I think it should stay as called...and to a degree I feel if ruled no catch onfield it should have stayed. I typically like that on close calls, they stick with the call on field. To me, that was a close call.

That being said, it's done. That's all she wrote, and based on how I felt after the first game of the season, it was a great year. Romo gets his playoff monkey off his back and we head into next year.

But remove the was it or wasn't it, it's a moot pint now...should a play like that be a catch?

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Brick - I agree...I thought he made a football move.
  • Options
    If you think the rule should be changed, that is one thing to possibly address in the offseason, but by rule this play was called correctly according to the rule in place at this point in time which clearly states that if the ball touches the ground on the way down, it is an incompletion, plain and simple. The head of NFL officiating and Pereira in the booth both said the reversal was correct. The ground cannot cause a fumble but it can cause an incompletion. That is the rule. Brick, what "steps" are you referring to??

But as Dallas fans know very well from last week, one play does not determine the outcome of the game no matter when it occurs. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The rule being applied previously..

Calvin Johnson Rule

• Options
    It's the interpretation of the rule. There is a football move aspect to it. I don't want my position to seem like sour grapes...it's truly not. And if this happened in one of yesterday's games I'm comfortable that my position would be the same. It's just my opinion that the stretch was a move.

It's not a crossing play over the middle where the receiver gets hit before doing anything. It's not a diving play in which the player hits the ground and loses it at the same time as catching it. It's not a trap. It looked like a reception with a conscious stretch for the goal line. The conscious part to me is what made it a football move. He had enough possession and control to stretch it out. Dead ball where he hits. Just like it was ruled onfield.

But I do agree, that play was NOT the game.

• Options

<< <i>The rule being applied previously..

Calvin Johnson Rule >>

I disagree with that one too, more on principle, since there wasn't much of a move for him to make in the end zone. What I will say on that one though is that it was ruled incomplete on the field and they stuck with the call.
  • Options
    Mike Pereira provides a pretty clear analysis of the play and the rule.

Link

• Options
    I still think it's junk. LOL!

Seriously, just as a football fan...that's gotta be a catch, but it's very tough to create a rule that accommodates every possible circumstance.

Letter of the law, maybe. Intent of the law, I don't think so and hope not. It's like turning in an A report and being told you flunked because you used Arial instead of Helvetica. Judgement onfield (they know the rules too) was catch. Why does booth opinion on an opinion call win? That's like Balls and Strikes.

To be fair, maybe I'm not fully understanding of what exactly a football move is. I feel it's a conscious effort to do something. I'll plead ignorance.

Nice chat Tim.

• Options
    Agreed, Jim. I don't personally care for the rule, but it is what it is. Perhaps the rule committee will address it during the offseason. It'll be too late for Dallas fans, though. It was too late for Detroit fans last week, too. Life goes on to the next round~football mirrors life in many ways, and isn't always fair.

• Options
    Too true Tim. Nice, friendly discussion.

I don't do much Sports Talk, but a discussion that doesn't degenerate into an argument is always nice.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the rule. Brick, what "steps" are you referring to??
    I saw the gentleman secure the ball, no bobble. After he had the ball I counted three steps he took towards the goal line. They may have been bumbling, stumbling steps but steps all the same and never bobbling the ball. After these bumbling, stumbling steps he made a conscious dive in an attempt to reach the goal. If the Fox expert and head of officiating think this is the correct call I say enshrine them in the Don Denkinger wing of the officiating Hall of Fame.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>That is the rule. Brick, what "steps" are you referring to??
    I saw the gentleman secure the ball, no bobble. After he had the ball I counted three steps he took towards the goal line. They may have been bumbling, stumbling steps but steps all the same and never bobbling the ball. After these bumbling, stumbling steps he made a conscious dive in an attempt to reach the goal. If the Fox expert and head of officiating think this is the correct call I say enshrine them in the Don Denkinger wing of the officiating Hall of Fame. >>

No, the ball touched the turf as Bryant was coming down and going into the end zone. By rule, that makes it an incompletion. Thinking it "should" have been a catch doesn't make it so. If you don't think the rule is a good one, that is one thing, but in this case the refs got it right. Denkinger? LOL..

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Grote15 -- I dont think everyone is questioning the rule. I know the ground can cause an incompletion. The first fact of the play was that he definitely had possession long enough to initially be a catch (had 3 steps with ball). You do have to maintain complete possession of the ball while landing on the ground, which Dez did not. The exception to this is trying to "make a play" (i.e. reaching for goal line, first down marker etc). That is where the call became subjective and not strictly catch/no catch. While it was not a clear 2-1/2 foot extension of his arm toward the goal, it did appear that his left arm was reaching for the line. If the refs had seen it as him reaching for the line then it would not matter if that ball hit the ground and bounced 20 feet in the air.

It was a huge reversal of a call bigger than last weeks for several reasons:
    1. Lions still had the lead when the call went against them
    2. Cowboys likelihood of scoring a touchdown from the 1/2 yard line was far greater than the Lions trying to ice the game from the Cowboys 35.
    3. Several fewer minutes left in the game.

But, all that being said, the game was won along the lines as is often the case. Green Bay protected Rodgers better than Dallas protected Romo. I believe the better team won. And I am looking forward to Rodgers facing severe pressure next week.

Any season ending loss is sad but I for one am proud of the Boys for the season they had and feel they are 1 consistent pass rusher away from being a force again next year.
  • Options
    On the contrary, I think there are many who are questioning and/or don't understand the rule.

Personally, I don't care for the rule but unless it's changed you can't fault the official for getting it right.

In my mind, that is also a big difference between last week's call (which the NFL admitted was botched) and this week's call (which the NFL has already stated was ruled correctly).

In any case, life goes on and as you said, the better team did win the game today.

• Options

<< <i>
    In my mind, that is also a big difference between last week's call (which the NFL admitted was botched) and this week's call (which the NFL has already stated was ruled correctly). >>

Why ya want to let the truth get in the way of this?

MJ