Options
GTG Fun: BU 1904 $2.50, UPDATED
Hey guys, picked this locally out of my nearby B&M
I think its a lock 63, could be wrong but I'm interested if it has any potential past that. I'm getting much better at grading as I continue my numismatic adventures, but I still have problems with gold sometimes.
Comments and Criticisms are all welcome
Thanks for looking and participating!


I think its a lock 63, could be wrong but I'm interested if it has any potential past that. I'm getting much better at grading as I continue my numismatic adventures, but I still have problems with gold sometimes.
Comments and Criticisms are all welcome
Thanks for looking and participating!


JG Numismatics
Check out:
coinsinnh.com
or just type in JGnumismatics into google
PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
CAC Authorized Dealer
ANA Member
CSNS Member
FUN Member
Roundtable Trading member
References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more
Check out:
coinsinnh.com
or just type in JGnumismatics into google
PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
CAC Authorized Dealer
ANA Member
CSNS Member
FUN Member
Roundtable Trading member
References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more
0
Comments
Latin American Collection
surely has the luster and frost
obverse looks 63/64
man that reverse looks like it should 65+ easy
sweet example
fill us in on finer details later...update if you get it graded
Again, impossible to grade from a picture for all the known reasons, but I LOVE to guess! Edited to change guess on grade
<< <i>Highly polished ... I will give you $50 for it so you don't have to deal with it
SOLD!!!
hahah thanks tony
Jake
Check out:
coinsinnh.com
or just type in JGnumismatics into google
PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
CAC Authorized Dealer
ANA Member
CSNS Member
FUN Member
Roundtable Trading member
References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more
I saw this coin when you had it on the BST sale section. Almost contacted, but the cost to have it graded, left me with no profit on the coin, unless it 64'd for sure. Hard to judge from pics. As mention PCGS is tough on these. Jope you get the 64
<< <i>Jake,
I saw this coin when you had it on the BST sale section. Almost contacted, but the cost to have it graded, left me with no profit on the coin, unless it 64'd for sure. Hard to judge from pics. As mention PCGS is tough on these. Jope you get the 64 >>
Yeah I took it off mainly because I felt I was shorting myself. That's my issue too as with cost, time gone, and risk is it worth when it I can possibly get a premium as is.
Check out:
coinsinnh.com
or just type in JGnumismatics into google
PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
CAC Authorized Dealer
ANA Member
CSNS Member
FUN Member
Roundtable Trading member
References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more
<< <i>64 maybe better. And you may want to consider copper spot removal. I hear they use something like nitric acid. >>
Leave it alone in my opinion. Demonstrates originality and it is hardly distracting where it is.
I made two 64's this week, a 1904 and 1907. I think that the coin has nice frost, the scattered marks on the portrait and in the obverse left field limit the grade. I see a 64 but would have no issue with a 63 or 64.
Latin American Collection
The cheek has enough chatter to make me think that it will be distracting under a bright lamp, and the coin will grade 63. But the fields and overall look are just fine for 64, and the reverse looks 65. You might be able to grade it better with the coin in-hand. I would send this coin in for grading if it were mine. If it comes back 63, maybe send it to CAC.
<< <i>I wouldn't mess with the copper spots either. To me, they are just part of the toning on this coin.
The cheek has enough chatter to make me think that it will be distracting under a bright lamp, and the coin will grade 63. But the fields and overall look are just fine for 64, and the reverse looks 65. You might be able to grade it better with the coin in-hand. I would send this coin in for grading if it were mine. If it comes back 63, maybe send it to CAC. >>
Completely agree with this
Latin American Collection
<< <i>not my series but i'll say this
surely has the luster and frost
obverse looks 63/64
man that reverse looks like it should 65+ easy
sweet example
fill us in on finer details later...update if you get it graded >>
All the above.
<< <i>
<< <i>I wouldn't mess with the copper spots either. To me, they are just part of the toning on this coin.
The cheek has enough chatter to make me think that it will be distracting under a bright lamp, and the coin will grade 63. But the fields and overall look are just fine for 64, and the reverse looks 65. You might be able to grade it better with the coin in-hand. I would send this coin in for grading if it were mine. If it comes back 63, maybe send it to CAC. >>
Completely agree with this >>
This
<< <i>But I would be concerned with a later sale, where HA and Rarcoa deduct $50 usually for any copper spots. The cost of having it done after certification, shipping, insurance, etc. are even more than that. It depends on the objective of the OP, but CAC does not consider most copper spots distracting unless they are. >>
Spots have to be extremely distracting for CAC to not sticker a coin that was otherwise worthy. I had a crusty but blazing MS65 PCGS $20 Lib that stickered....and that coin must have a couple dozen of small spots on both sides. That was about as distracting as you could get.
I like the $2-1/2 as solid 63 to lower end 64. Hairlines not seen in the photo could play a role. The market doesn't usually care what grade is assigned as spreads are small from 63 to 64. Common dates trade based on the label.
My plan is to attend my local show tomorrow in Auburn, MA and show a couple of my contacts there and get in hand thoughts. If I can't get the $$$ raw that I want, then off to the slab factory it goes.
Check out:
coinsinnh.com
or just type in JGnumismatics into google
PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
CAC Authorized Dealer
ANA Member
CSNS Member
FUN Member
Roundtable Trading member
References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more
EAC 6024
<< <i>It looks lovely, but I agree with Jim as I would guess many would what to get this at 63 money being raw. What's the price difference between 63 and 64? I think it's something like $150 would be my guess. Not enough reward for the risk IMO. >>
Well its a generic date, so greysheet type bids are $450 in 63 and $560 in 64. Auction record wise the numbers are $500 for 63 and 700 or less for 64. Then again, those numbers typically include the BP as well.
Check out:
coinsinnh.com
or just type in JGnumismatics into google
PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
CAC Authorized Dealer
ANA Member
CSNS Member
FUN Member
Roundtable Trading member
References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more
Of course it's not my series but I would not buy that coin as a non gold person.
bob
The coin won't 64 in my opinion. Way too common, too much going on in the cheek, and I owned a 62 that then become a 63 (see below)...meaning this is a maxed out 63, and I don't think the 1904 coin is head/shoulders better.
So it might 64 but then again you are out the coin for at least 1 month, and in total about $60 in cost.
I would sell it raw, make a few $$, and move on...
Don't get me wrong because it is a very nice coin that appears to be a solid 63.
<< <i>TextThe coin won't 64 in my opinion. Way too common, too much going on in the cheek, and I owned a 62 that then become a 63 (see below)...meaning this is a maxed out 63, and I don't think the 1904 coin is head/shoulders better. >>
I do think he OP's coin is head/shoulders better than your coin. Your coin does look like a 62 the Op's coin is a 1-1/2 points nicer in my opinion.
<< <i>
<< <i>TextThe coin won't 64 in my opinion. Way too common, too much going on in the cheek, and I owned a 62 that then become a 63 (see below)...meaning this is a maxed out 63, and I don't think the 1904 coin is head/shoulders better. >>
I do think he OP's coin is head/shoulders better than your coin. Your coin does look like a 62 the Op's coin is a 1-1/2 points nicer in my opinion. >>
I am still saying this coin has 30% chance at a 64, but as all have said it is hard to grade from poor photos.
Good eye.
Few people wanted to know what happen once it sold or got graded. I decided with my cost and grading fees it wasn't worth the chance and I decided to offer it today at my local coin show for $500, marketing it as a 64. I showed approximately 3-4 dealers, and most agreed it was a 64 as well. One dealer in particular, known for buying a lot of gold decided to step up to the plate and play very close to the $500 price tag. I was happy with what I got and moved on!! I paid 62 generic money so I made out well.
Check out:
coinsinnh.com
or just type in JGnumismatics into google
PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
CAC Authorized Dealer
ANA Member
CSNS Member
FUN Member
Roundtable Trading member
References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more
i love the grading experience myself
it just adds something....finding um raw and sending um in
Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.