Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS is the best, but.....wow

Need help with link Ebay 361172936493

x gouge on cheek, scratches across head. Genuine at best if cracked and resubmitted.

Comments

  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ------------------------------------------------------------

    "You Suck Award" - February, 2015

    Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a lower grade Key date what do you expect. Not all that bad looking IMO.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Its a lower grade Key date what do you expect. Not all that bad looking IMO. >>



    Just what I was thinking but this is a big problem coin that was allowed. Just saying grading is not always right or even close.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a big deal
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that my opinion means much, but I think the imperfections are within tolerance for a F 15 grade.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image
    I find it acceptable for the grade.......key date makes it important to get some respect,
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pic. Go to listing on the tilted views to see the huge head scratch.

    You will have to use the zoo. It starts near the hairline through the head. I guess my full graded set and submitting over 400 Morgans to PCGS has done nothing for me.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Thanks for the pic. Go to listing on the tilted views to see the huge head scratch. >>



    image
  • Options
    that coin is gradable regardless of date.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭
    I am in the 12 or 15 is okay regardless of date after looking at all of the photos.
    Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Former CoFounder of Choice Numismatics

    All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like some light staple scratches. I think the "X" gets a pass because it does not look like graffiti but rather accidental from circulation. It probably teetered on the fence during
    grading and fell on the good side.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭
    Seems right to me. That scratch on the cheek is superficial.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was looking for a 93-S in F15, I might look for a better one, but I don't have a problem with this being in a problem-free holder. Think about how many card games and bar counters this lady saw back in her day....
  • Options
    The staining and spots are bothersome, but the scratches would kill it for me ... if I had the money to buy one.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it me but, why do I see so many key dates with scratches in them?? Maybe it's just the survivors are all saved no matter the condition.image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

    100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, I would pass on this coin. I will say from experience that this coin will holder with a grade from PCGS because the marks and hairlines are acceptable for the wear and condition of this coin.

    The court jester does not play, but gently pulls the strings…

  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coin at first glance, but if it's another date it probably doesn't get into a problem-free holder.
    I'm disappointed that this one did, and I would never consider buying any coin that has these obvious defects.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Its a lower grade Key date what do you expect. >>



    I expect nothing...... image
  • Options
    I never understand the theory/truth that key dates should/do get more leniency on the grading. The grade is the grade! I just don't get it.

    Of course key dates are more desirable and people may accept a coin with problems or a a lower grade but they should make that decision, not the TPG.

    Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that is why you can buy it or pass on it. If some one see's a coin that they don't like they can walk away. It's all on how we look at this stuff in the end that is what it is all stuff, Some will like it, some will pass on it and some will ask for a better price and will be happy with it.... image


    Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see this as very gradeable at F15. But I collect Dahlonega so I've seen it all when it comes to graded straight graded coins.

    Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

    Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks OK to me for the grade. What do you expect for a fine?image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 30,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks market acceptable for the grade imo, also. If you have to blow up the coin 20x its size to discern the flaws, the flaws aren't that egregious to begin with, especially for a well circulated example.


    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭
    Key dates are sometimes handled differently.


    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671 ✭
    with 5 second grading what do you expect?
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Not that my opinion means much, but I think the imperfections are within tolerance for a F 15 grade. >>



    image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can accept that coin as an F15....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Not that my opinion means much, but I think the imperfections are within tolerance for a F 15 grade. >>



    image >>


    +2
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe some people spend too much time looking at MS-67's? image

    But seriously, it's not like the marks are easily missed. If you are in the market for a Fine of this date, you can see the issues, assess the price, make a decision, and play or pass.

    That's assuming you get to SEE the coin. It is fodder for the discussion of the "sight unseen market", and how TPG has "fixed" it, however.
    Easily distracted Type Collector

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file