Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cleaned or colored copper

I read through the cleaned and colored copper archive threads and couldn't find my answer. Wasn't sure if I should have resurrected an old thread so I started a new one. I have a 1851 large cent that I would consider ms 63 RB. My question is if it was cleaned or recolored would you still be able to see pinwheel luster?

Comments

  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭
    chemical cleaning with chemical recoloring
    i'd think in some cases cartwheel luster would remain

    all in the type and level of cleaning
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see a pic of it.


    Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like this. image


    image

  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    justcollectingjustcollecting Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    This is a test, Im hoping there is a image here somewhere.
    I know the colors are off some, There is no gold on the coins I think it is being produce by the color of the room lighting. I found that if I took a picture from a further distance from the coin I got a more accurate image. I also added a white piece of paper around the coin, hoping to help correct the image. I dont think it helped much. From the various pictures you can see how the luster travels around the coin. After seeing such a close up of the coin I may havve been a little generous with my grade.

    image
    image
    image
    image
    image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭
    a messed with copper coin
    will only find itself in a genuine holder

    "CLEANED & RE-COLORED"

    the pinwheel luster could be a whizzed result

    if ya can
    go to a coin shop to look at some large cents in non problem holders
    look at the color on those
    look at what mint luster looks like on an in hand example

    but that reverse "SCREAMS" colored
    the front speaks loudly of whizzing or the likes

    heritage auctions usually has great images to look at...but color is tricky in images
    your images...boldly display it though
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    justcollectingjustcollecting Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    You really cant go by the color of the coin (especially on the reverse, its from the back ground lighting and lack of a quality camera.) Here is a link to a graded coin on ebay that is having a similar color issue but if you jog threw their images you can sell the luster rotate.

    But you answered my question teddy. With a light cleaning and possibly chemical coloring you may still be able to see the pinwheel luster.

    I dont know if I have this link thing figured out, but I do have posting images down. Hope theres a link here.

    Thanks

    Text
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭
    that link worked fine...you're up n running here...good job
    better imaging for sure but has me taking a step back on my position of it screaming...perhaps i'm wrong here

    it's not the type of copper i'd feel comfortable with buying raw and hope of it grading....this example or the one on ebay
    with my luck it would of bodybagged

    yes some copper will bag one submission then get graded the next
    early copper and grading has it's uncertainty about
    especially in r/b

    lighting can toss me for a loop for sure

    peace
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send it in. My hunches are always wrong in this dimension. If it goes AU you make out okay. If it's "genuine" it will be non gradeable. And you will have a better understanding than our words (any of them) could tell.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obv does not look right and I suspect it would be called altered surfaces if you send it in, but nothing it 100% from photos.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with coinbuf.

    Successful BST transactions with 177 members. breakdown, scotty1419, mattniss, bigjpst, onlyroosies, Manorcourtman, guitarwes, Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on those photos, I would not spend money trying to get that coin into a graded slab.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

    RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

    CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the pictures, I strongly suspect you will get a 'genuine' grade....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those images scream "cleaned copper." Telltale signs are a dullish pink hue without cartwheel luster. Coin doctors can create RD copper (which will turn a month or so after the doctoring). That's why PCGS doesn't guarantee RD copper slabbed after 2009.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file