Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think 2015 US coin market will be?

jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
Of course, there are many market segments. Go and predict whatever you want.

To me, I will watch FUN auctions closely. If auction price still follows the Nov/Dec 2014 trend, then we might have flat to down 2015 (at least, first half of 2015). That's what my crystal ball shows -)
an SLQ and Ike dollars lover

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More of the same. Old coins garner more attention, money and fame. New coins introduces more people to dreaming about more money, attention and fame.

Sort of mundane and it just keeps going.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Type coins will fare better than moderns. As always
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Choice coins will sell without much difficulty though price increases will be few and far between.

Ordinary coins will be a hard sell unless significantly discounted.

Dreck will be dead.

Minor varieties will continue to garner interest though it will be mostly a "make my own" market.

Thin, specialty markets will be very dangerous as the departure of even a few formerly enthusiastic, well-heeled collectors will make for difficulty when selling.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Type coins will fare better than moderns. As always >>

+1

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally cooler.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Rainbow toned Coins both AT & NT have contributed to the growth of painted dreck from a number of World
    Mints. Will the US Mint finally hop on board the Colorful Band Wagon?

Seems like they're hunting for sales gimmics. It's going to happen one day. image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The effect of declining oil and gas prices may light a fire under many non bullion related coin prices similar to what happened in 1986.

Note that gold pricing has remained very stable over a one period whereas oil and gas have collapsed.

Imagine being in Russia and watching your gold prices skyrocketing in the last three months while your Rubble dropping nearly 50% in value?

It could happen here but not in 2015.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Choice coins will sell without much difficulty though price increases will be few and far between.

Ordinary coins will be a hard sell unless significantly discounted.

Dreck will be dead.

Minor varieties will continue to garner interest though it will be mostly a "make my own" market.

Thin, specialty markets will be very dangerous as the departure of even a few formerly enthusiastic, well-heeled collectors will make for difficulty when selling. >>

Unless bullion starts climbing again, small coin shops will have a tough year.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be down, up, stable...... all of those..... watch bullion, politics are unpredictable. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold and Silver will keep dropping and take coins down with it. But there will be some good buys so save some $$$ so you can pick them up. That is just me dumb Type2 thinking. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    December has been a real good month for me and all I am selling is 2009 WDDR error cents. I have sold over $2000 worth.

As for what 2015 does it all depends on the economy for my type of market as low end coins do well if the common people have money to spend or not.

They sure spent for December.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect gold bullion to have a slow, steady decline during 2015. Gold Type will suffer. Common BU Morgans may back off a little due to some people selling, with silver dropping. Early copper and Colonials will keep on chugging upward and be oblivious to everything else around them, as if the EAC people lived in an isolated colonial village. Proof Type (pre-1916) below PR67 will remain soft, with premiums for pretty toned and cameo coins drying up, allowing me to buy it all cheap. Key dates in collector series (Lincolns, Buffaloes, etc.) will hold their value or increase slightly in collector grades, as people still need them to complete sets, and they are unrelated to bullion. Tough date Seated and Bust will hold steady, though some dealers overshot the market trend the last three years and had to back off their asking prices last year. Tough date Barber coins in VF-AU58 will continue to be tough to locate, and there is a strong collector base for these (less expensive than Seated) coins. BU and Proof Barbers, not looking so good dollar-wise. Moderns and CAC stickers will each continue to be shiny.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Im still in the hunt for $25,000 Coins for $100. image

Its gonna happen one day. Maybe I need to hang out in pawn shops after big coin shows end? image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect all of the current trends in the US coin market to continue. Unusually, all of those trends are leading to prices that make more sense to me. Modestly stronger prices for choice, legitimately rare and affordable coins. (That's one group of coins, not three.) Weaker prices for common coins and slabbed "dreck". And weaker prices for mega-coins, which simply got too far ahead of the rest of the market, too fast.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    > weaker prices for mega-coins, which simply got too far ahead of the rest of the market, too fast.

Well said. I agree with you but many won't. Let's wait and see 2015 major collection auction results image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    2015- Dealers will tell customers coins are hot and they can't keep them on the shelves and the prices are strong, collectors selling to B&M's and dealers at shows will hear their coins are overgraded, common and slow selling while being offered 40 back of bid on better date and 60 back of bid on most others.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patrick and Pogue sales will be strong, other sales will be weaker.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    2015 will be filled with flippers looking for the perfect mint product
    to flip.
    More novices, baseball card and toy collectors entering the coin realm
    because their area of collecting is dead-- all "know it alls" with zero
    numismatic experience.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think 2015 US coin market will be? >>

2015 will bring many changes to the coin market, creating incredible opportunities for some while others are forced to stand on the sidelines stricken with fear.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't pay much attention to pricing at FUN because this is the first big show of the year, there are always lots of expensive coins for sale, and everyone with deep pockets is there.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't pay much attention to pricing at FUN because this is the first big show of the year, there are always lots of expensive coins for sale, and everyone with deep pockets is there.

I don't understand. Wouldn't the presence of many buyers and sellers make the available price information even more valid and informative?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file